Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

Im rooting for Markelle. But the idea this team will suffer without Markelle or regret re-signing him is just not true. We had our longest win streak of the season with him on the IR. He's 13th on the team in minutes played and 14th on the team in TS%. 

• Upvote 1

I'm betting Markelle starts taking and hitting 3s in the playoffs haha no joke

This season is gonna get a lot more Magical than it already is

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jay Magic said:

I'm betting Markelle starts taking and hitting 3s in the playoffs haha no joke

This season is gonna get a lot more Magical than it already is

I'm betting he doesn't based on every single piece of evidence we've ever had.

32 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I don’t expect him to suddenly start making threes. I do expect he will continue to be a positive influence on the team, and that he can make the guys around him play a bit more cerebral. I think it’s all down to his health. He has shown a willingness to do what ever the team has asked of him.

I don’t think he will ever be a consistent starter for us, but he is still only 25. Markelle probably isn’t going to have a big game where he can’t miss like Cole; but he isn’t going to shoot you out of a game on a night where he can’t hit crap and continues taking bad shots, also like Cole. I don’t know if anyone would give him more than a vet minimum this summer, his history just doesn’t justify much more. I would try to keep him, on a much more team friendly, short term contract; something like 3 years/$8M, with the third being a team option.

• Upvote 1

I find myself in an odd position, I can’t really point to one guy on our team as a “problem” that we absolutely have to solve. We have a lot of guys who seem injury prone - G Harris, Kelle, WCJ, have all missed significant time over the last couple years. I think Chuma is probably gone this summer, and I’m not sure if we can afford Goga, as I expect someone will make him a better offer. If we can find a reliable replacement for G Harris, we might move on from him, just because of his injury history. I think Ingles has been good enough and consistent enough that you take the option. I actually think we need to explore trade options for Cole. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

No worries. Remember i said it... 

26 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

No worries. Remember i said it... 

You said a lot of things... and some of them will NEVER happen! :P

22 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

You said a lot of things... and some of them will NEVER happen! :P

the stuff i have had said about our team has happened this season mostly

what will NEVER happen? Elaborate 

Is that you Nostradamus?

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Im rooting for Markelle. But the idea this team will suffer without Markelle or regret re-signing him is just not true. We had our longest win streak of the season with him on the IR. He's 13th on the team in minutes played and 14th on the team in TS%. 

Beyond the injury troubles, and beyond his lack of a three, the very low TS% is what is interesting to me. That is very strange. Like jmmagicfan, I love Kelle’s leadership and cerebral approach, I’m just not sure he’s more than a third pg for us past this summer. Like a Haslem bench coach/player.

I think if we keep Markelle, he begins the season as PG for second unit as AB transitions into the role.  And I agree, by midseason, Markelle is more player coach and 3rd string.   Can he find a bigger role with another team, maybe. But will it just makes his flaws and injury history even more of an issue?  I dont know. I'll say again, if he is happy with the vet min and transitioning to the player/coach role, more than happy to keep him.    He might just surprise us with a burst here or there as well, but not a thing to gamble on any more.

6 hours ago, harryfromphilly said:

I think if we keep Markelle, he begins the season as PG for second unit as AB transitions into the role.  And I agree, by midseason, Markelle is more player coach and 3rd string.   Can he find a bigger role with another team, maybe. But will it just makes his flaws and injury history even more of an issue?  I dont know. I'll say again, if he is happy with the vet min and transitioning to the player/coach role, more than happy to keep him.    He might just surprise us with a burst here or there as well, but not a thing to gamble on any more.

Oh, come on, Harry (and others), next season Markelle will probably be 26 yrs. old. Player/coach? He is still a youngun. Haslem was well into his 30s and near retirement when he was used as a player/coach. I think Markelle has shown progress in a comeback in the last few games--baby steps.

The goal this season is to make the playoffs, and the Magic has done that. I give Mosely credit for the minutes restrictions and resting Markelle and Isaac off and on because he knew that the 2 players, if healthy, could be of help to the team in winning a series in the playoffs.

So, what is the Magic going to do in the playoffs. If Suggs is designated the starting point guard, and he gets injured, do you think AB is going to be any kind of help as the backup? I don't think so. He will just run and stand in the corner while Franz and Paolo run the point guard position. You wouldn't want Cole to come in as the backup. He's needed to come off the bench with the second unit (Moe, Ingles and Isaac) to pick up the pace.

If the Magic wins a series in the playoffs, and Markelle does a good job coming off the bench, setting plays, do some Magic fans still want him gone at the end of the season?

Hey Fan, I am a huge Markelle fan, and even if he does not improve beyond a playable back up, I still want him back  NOT pushing to move him.  And I would love to be proven wrong, but my eye test ( which I know that You prefer to stats ) is not looking good. Most of his jumpers are short. There is still a bit of a hitch, and more, the last game he missed at least 2 of those under the basket reverses that are usually his bread and butter.     Like I said, nothing would make me happier than to be wrong and to see him improve. But am trying to asses what he is worth if he does not.   (Love ya anyway fan, even though we disagree, lol)