Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

7 hours ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Hey JJZFL. For a long time, I've felt that MagicTime22 was the former poster whose username was MagicOne. He made similar off-the-wall comments like MagicTime22. MagicOne was funny too. I remember him using the phrase "an old rusty beach chair" in referring to how bad the Magic were playing. . . hahaha!

That’s it! Obvious similarity with the names also.  Thank you very much, TMF!!

The Magic (30-25) are just a half-game back of the sixth spot, which is the cutoff for the playoffs to avoid the Play-In Tournament. The Pacers (31-25), who Orlando holds the head-to-head advantage over, are sixth ahead of the Heat (30-25), Magic, Bulls (26-29) and Hawks (24-31) to cap the East’s top 10.

Although Jamahl Mosley’s squad is outside the playoffs but inside the Play-In if the season were to end today, only three games separate Orlando and the fourth-seeded Knicks.

“We [were] talking about the standings and stuff … How intense it’s going to be after the break,” Banchero said. “I’m just ready to get back on the court and chase this playoff spot.”

What has to happen next?

Last season, it took 45 wins to reach playoffs as the sixth seed in the East. The Nets avoided the Play-In by finishing 45-37, which is a realistic goal for the Magic.

That requires them to go 15-12 to finish with the same record.It’s also the same record that ESPN’s Basketball Power Index projects for the Magic. The BPI gives Orlando a 58.4% to finished top 6 in the East, which is better odds than Miami (40.2%) and Indiana (36.8%).

What does the schedule look like?

Favorable.

In fact, 15 of the Magic’s final 27 games are at home, including an eight-game stretch March 17-April 1 at Kia Center.

During the first 55 games, Orlando went 18-8 at home, including a “home” loss in Mexico City the Hawks in November. After that long homestand, however, the Magic play five of their final seven games on the road. They’re 12-17 on the road at the break.

What lineups do they need to use more?

The opening night starting five of Markelle Fultz, Jalen Suggs, Franz Wagner, Banchero and Wendell Carter Jr. recently became the lineup of Orlando’s that’s scored the most points (608) and played the most minutes together (259).

That’s because the group has been mostly healthy as of late and started the majority of games heading into the break, outside of the second night of two back-to-backs. Fultz missed both and Suggs missed one.

Previously, the starting lineup of Anthony Black, Suggs, Wagner, Banchero and Goga Bitadze had played the most time together due to long stretches missed by Fultz and Carter.

It’s important for the Magic’s opening night starting five to remain healthy, too. The group has the best offensive rating (112.4) among Orlando’s lineups that have played at least 14 games together.

The group’s 54.7% effective field goal accuracy — a formula that adjusts for 3-pointers being worth more than 2s — also is the strongest of the most used lineups.

How many back-to-backs remain?

There are three sets left, including one this weekend at Detroit on Saturday and at Atlanta on Sunday.

In addition to Fultz not being available on the second night of back-to-backs since he’s returned after missing 27 games with left knee tendinitis, Jonathan Isaac has either not played or has played limited minutes in those situations.

Veteran Gary Harris also recently missed the second night of a back-to-back with right calf injury maintenance which puts his availability for those games at odds.

After this weekend, the Magic have a back-to-back on the road in early March and one more late in the month.

Orlando is 3-8 in games with no rest.

If Orlando can finish sixth, what’s the most favorable matchup?

They’d face the No. 3 in the first round. Based on ESPN’s projection, Orlando would battle the Knicks in a seven-game series.

This would give the Magic a decent chance of advancing, too. Although both sides were shorthanded in the third meeting, Orlando won all three, including twice on the road.

Avoiding Boston in the first round would be beneficial to the Magic, who lost the season-series to the Celtics.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/2024/02/21/orlando-magic-nba-playoffs-all-star-break-paolo-banchero-franz-wagner-jamahl-mosley/

Thanks Jason Beede …good info …I’d say if this happens …and it sure has a chance …would be an overachieving season before the playoffs start …and all the doom and gloomers that flooded this board at the deadline will be eating some crow jajaja

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, ball junkie said:

The Magic (30-25) are just a half-game back of the sixth spot, which is the cutoff for the playoffs to avoid the Play-In Tournament. The Pacers (31-25), who Orlando holds the head-to-head advantage over, are sixth ahead of the Heat (30-25), Magic, Bulls (26-29) and Hawks (24-31) to cap the East’s top 10.

Although Jamahl Mosley’s squad is outside the playoffs but inside the Play-In if the season were to end today, only three games separate Orlando and the fourth-seeded Knicks.

“We [were] talking about the standings and stuff … How intense it’s going to be after the break,” Banchero said. “I’m just ready to get back on the court and chase this playoff spot.”

What has to happen next?

Last season, it took 45 wins to reach playoffs as the sixth seed in the East. The Nets avoided the Play-In by finishing 45-37, which is a realistic goal for the Magic.

That requires them to go 15-12 to finish with the same record.It’s also the same record that ESPN’s Basketball Power Index projects for the Magic. The BPI gives Orlando a 58.4% to finished top 6 in the East, which is better odds than Miami (40.2%) and Indiana (36.8%).

What does the schedule look like?

Favorable.

In fact, 15 of the Magic’s final 27 games are at home, including an eight-game stretch March 17-April 1 at Kia Center.

During the first 55 games, Orlando went 18-8 at home, including a “home” loss in Mexico City the Hawks in November. After that long homestand, however, the Magic play five of their final seven games on the road. They’re 12-17 on the road at the break.

What lineups do they need to use more?

The opening night starting five of Markelle Fultz, Jalen Suggs, Franz Wagner, Banchero and Wendell Carter Jr. recently became the lineup of Orlando’s that’s scored the most points (608) and played the most minutes together (259).

That’s because the group has been mostly healthy as of late and started the majority of games heading into the break, outside of the second night of two back-to-backs. Fultz missed both and Suggs missed one.

Previously, the starting lineup of Anthony Black, Suggs, Wagner, Banchero and Goga Bitadze had played the most time together due to long stretches missed by Fultz and Carter.

It’s important for the Magic’s opening night starting five to remain healthy, too. The group has the best offensive rating (112.4) among Orlando’s lineups that have played at least 14 games together.

The group’s 54.7% effective field goal accuracy — a formula that adjusts for 3-pointers being worth more than 2s — also is the strongest of the most used lineups.

How many back-to-backs remain?

There are three sets left, including one this weekend at Detroit on Saturday and at Atlanta on Sunday.

In addition to Fultz not being available on the second night of back-to-backs since he’s returned after missing 27 games with left knee tendinitis, Jonathan Isaac has either not played or has played limited minutes in those situations.

Veteran Gary Harris also recently missed the second night of a back-to-back with right calf injury maintenance which puts his availability for those games at odds.

After this weekend, the Magic have a back-to-back on the road in early March and one more late in the month.

Orlando is 3-8 in games with no rest.

If Orlando can finish sixth, what’s the most favorable matchup?

They’d face the No. 3 in the first round. Based on ESPN’s projection, Orlando would battle the Knicks in a seven-game series.

This would give the Magic a decent chance of advancing, too. Although both sides were shorthanded in the third meeting, Orlando won all three, including twice on the road.

Avoiding Boston in the first round would be beneficial to the Magic, who lost the season-series to the Celtics.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/2024/02/21/orlando-magic-nba-playoffs-all-star-break-paolo-banchero-franz-wagner-jamahl-mosley/

Thanks Jason Beede …good info …I’d say if this happens …and it sure has a chance …would be an overachieving season before the playoffs start …and all the doom and gloomers that flooded this board at the deadline will be eating some crow jajaja

Great post and information for sure.  Could have done without your premature victory lap though Junkie lol…….We all want them to get the highest seed possible right?

BJ just stirring the pot as usual. We all want the Magic to succeed. Idk wtf you are blabbering about Junkie. Criticism of one player and a realistic desire for better is not wishing the team failure because said player is still here. Please quit trying to flame the people here with your nonsense. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MagicMan1979 said:

Great post and information for sure.  Could have done without your premature victory lap though Junkie lol…….We all want them to get the highest seed possible right?

I just want to avoid the play in, and i’d want to avoid facing Boston, Cleveland and Milwaukee. I think we have good chances to compete against anybody else. We just don’t matchup well against those three imo

Seeds 3-9 in the East are all up for grabs in seeding. Knicks and Sixers are hurt, Bucks are a chemistry mess, Pacers, Magic, Heat, Hawks all are inconsistent but could get hot. Having the easiest schedule of the group is a huge advantage.

1 hour ago, fan for too long 2 said:

BJ just stirring the pot as usual. We all want the Magic to succeed. Idk wtf you are blabbering about Junkie. Criticism of one player and a realistic desire for better is not wishing the team failure because said player is still here. Please quit trying to flame the people here with your nonsense. 

Here let me refresh your memory …start on page 13 to the last page 23 …you’re in their towards the end with your typical management bashing …wash, rinse, repeat …but I digress …at least I haven’t wavered in my opinion about giving the team as currently constructed a chance …I was optimistic and well, management agreed …looking forward to seeing the result …and it wasn’t just Fultz bashing …lotta organizational bashing also …but I’m very tired of the Fultz discussion ..time to let it play out …as somebody commented on that thread it was Jay and myself against everybody …GO MAGIC insert smiley face lol …stirring the pot LMAO …I called it like I saw it .

3 hours ago, MagicMan1979 said:

79 …the fact that you’re stating this question speaks volumes to me …time to see what the last 27 games are gonna tell us ….or maybe I misunderstood your intent ?

The all star break needs to hurry up and end so we can start talking about games again and stop rehashing the same conversations about the deadline.

Big one in Cleveland tomorrow night. This season so far we’ve been strangely really bad coming off extended rest. Curious to see how we look. 

After tomorrow, we get 7 straight and 11 of our next 13 against teams below .500 and an 8 game home stand starts on March 17th.

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

Here let me refresh your memory …start on page 13 to the last page 23 …you’re in their towards the end with your typical management bashing …wash, rinse, repeat …but I digress …at least I haven’t wavered in my opinion about giving the team as currently constructed a chance …I was optimistic and well, management agreed …looking forward to seeing the result …and it wasn’t just Fultz bashing …lotta organizational bashing also …but I’m very tired of the Fultz discussion ..time to let it play out …as somebody commented on that thread it was Jay and myself against everybody …GO MAGIC insert smiley face lol …stirring the pot LMAO …I called it like I saw it .

lol way to create a narrative.. I’ve stated multiple times that Fultz is my favorite player, always has been and still rooting for him. 

The reality of the matter is that he is probably dealing with TOS again. 

At least his injury was really strange. He went down with an injury and came back from, been a knockdown midrange shooter and good FT shooter, to non being able to shoot any shot besides a layup. 

Well people react to that. Nobody is hating on Fultz. At least not here. 

Speaking for myself. I’m still rooting for Markelle and he’d be a great fit going forward, for this team. Just that he’d better fit, handling the ball alongside the second unit. 

Junkie. Just let it go with the nonsense. 

You keep bringing it up, and then you say you are tired of talking about it 

3 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Markelle is listed as out for tomorrow night due to “left knee injury maintenance”

After a break? lol.. They can’t fool me. I’m calling TOS and i dare any reporter to have the guts and ask him or coach or fo straight to their face..