Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

1 minute ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Yeah, I think Markelle could be the guy on the trade block. He’s starting to round back into form with his defense and driving (when he plays) but he won’t even look at the basket from 20 + feet. He’s not a good fit with Paolo, and we need to be focused on the players that fit best around our superstar.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if we play out the season with Markelle given Weltman's track record. 

But after that everything is up in the air, I can't imagine we pay Markelle Fultz to be a starter for this team even if we do chose to bring him back. 

And with that in mind, if it was up to me, I'd trade him. I don't think he's without value. I don't think he's got a lot of value but I don't think he's worthless. And he's a big salary to match in trades. So I'm interested in what some combination of Markelle, Gary Harris, Chuma Okeke, the Denver pick, our 2024 pick, our Phoenix 2026 pick swap and any number of 2nds could get us. 

If we love Markelle that much we could trade him at the deadline and re-sign him in the summer (I think, if I understand the CBA correctly).

3 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Yeah, we’re 27th out of 30 teams in free throw percentage, 75.5%. It’s crazy cause we don’t really have one player I can think of that’s downright bad at the line, it’s a full team problem. 

I think, given the volume, Paolo is bad. Everyone else who's percentage is bad is on so low volume it's impossible to put it on them. But given that Paolo takes by far the most FT on the team, 69.5% is not really good enough. 

By my (quick, estimated) math if Paolo was a 75% FT shooter instead of what he is it'd boost our team FT% from 75.5 to 77.1 which would move us from 27th in the league to 21st.

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Yeah, I think Markelle could be the guy on the trade block. He’s starting to round back into form with his defense and driving (when he plays) but he won’t even look at the basket from 20 + feet. He’s not a good fit with Paolo, and we need to be focused on the players that fit best around our superstar.

Great win. Held a healthy Suns and all their firepower to single digits in the 4th before garbage time and under 100 for the game. We still need shooting and we should address it at the deadline, but I think it needs to be Gary and Chuma that are on the block.

The bottom quote was you after the Suns game …will you make up your mind sir lol lol …clock is ticking on the Fultz naysayers …what is Weltham gonna do …suspense lol

2 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Great win. Held a healthy Suns and all their firepower to single digits in the 4th before garbage time and under 100 for the game. We still need shooting and we should address it at the deadline, but I think it needs to be Gary and Chuma that are on the block.

The bottom quote was you after the Suns game …will you make up your mind sir lol lol …clock is ticking on the Fultz naysayers …what is Weltham gonna do …suspense lol

Yeah, I deserve to be called out but I’m so torn over Markelle Fultz.

Markelle is one of my favorites humans in the league so I’m looking for every reason I can find to want him to be here long term. I wish we could rewind to him confidently shooting pull up 3s at the end of the year last season, but he’s not that guy. If we can replace him in the core lineup and keep him as a backup/6th man, that’s my dream scenario. If trading Chuma, Gary and picks is enough to make that happen then im all for it.

As he’s currently playing he’s a poor long term big money investment as starting PG of the future because Paolo needs spacing. We need to think of him less as a Chris Paul type and more of a TJ McConnell

There are so many other reasons we are losing than Markelle.   (such as free throws ands is he or isn't he Cole)

But I agree Markelle has value and I think that he has value to this team.  I also agree that if we bring him back

next year, he should not be the starter (or should be transitioning out of it...)

and i agree that he must accept a team friendly deal.

The only way that I would trade him is if he does not agree to these 2 terms.

He has value. And would have really helped last night to break down that zone.

I agree that chuma and gary should be packaged if we can

(and i for one am looking forward to getting past the trade deadline and just rooting for the team,

whoever is left.)

20 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

https://official.nba.com/trigger/review-of-called-foul/

Can anybody explain to me the 4 to make 3 free throws AND the ball from Wendell’s flagrant? Nothing in the flagrant foul rulebook mentions anything about that absurd of a ruling.

They owed him two free throws for the regular foul and two more for the flagrant aspect but I don’t believe you can get more than 3 points from free throws for any particular foul.  

2 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

They owed him two free throws for the regular foul and two more for the flagrant aspect but I don’t believe you can get more than 3 points from free throws for any particular foul.  

A foul can be both a personal and a flagrant? Since when?

5 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I think that’s the rule, or maybe it’s the whole episode rather than the particular foul. 

8 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

In all honesty..We win those games if we make free throws like a pro team. We are ridiculously bad. 

Do they have these freebies for two missed free throws? Fans should purchase tickets for those freebies when the Magic are in town

I was going to post this but you beat me to it.  Not counting the final free throw which Paulo did a good job of intentionally missing, he was 6/10 for the night on free throws. That’s a problem, given how many free throws he takes, as CT pointed out above.  

2 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

https://official.nba.com/trigger/review-of-called-foul/

Can anybody explain to me the 4 to make 3 free throws AND the ball from Wendell’s flagrant? Nothing in the flagrant foul rulebook mentions anything about that absurd of a ruling.

i'm really baffled by this. and to add, cole made a clean swipe, so the foul really is only on dell. it might be a regular foul in the 90s but the rule book today calls it as a flagrant.

6 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I believe the call was a foul on Cole. 2 FTs and then a Flagrant technical foul on WCJ for a hit in the face after the whistle. 2 FTs and the ball. Seemed harsh to me because Wendell didn't deliberately do anything after the whistle it was all happening at the same time.