Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

17 minutes ago, OnlyFranz said:

another disappointing season

Let's get some perspective please. 

This time last season we were 20-31 and 13th in the East. 

We're currently 24-23, 8th in the East (tied for 7th but Heat have the tie breaker). 

We have the easiest schedule left in the NBA. 

After this current 5 game road stretch, the first leg of which was last night against Dallas, we play 19 of our remaining 31 games at home (provided I can count right looking at the schedule). 

Even if we go just over .500 the rest of the way and finish with 43 wins, which would be a minor disappointment, we'll have had the best Orlando Magic season since 2011-12.

1 minute ago, CTMagicUK said:

Let's get some perspective please. 

This time last season we were 20-31 and 13th in the East. 

We're currently 24-23, 8th in the East (tied for 7th but Heat have the tie breaker). 

We have the easiest schedule left in the NBA. 

After this current 5 game road stretch, the first leg of which was last night against Dallas, we play 19 of our remaining 31 games at home (provided I can count right looking at the schedule). 

Even if we go just over .500 the rest of the way and finish with 43 wins, which would be a minor disappointment, we'll have had the best Orlando Magic season since 2011-12.

I get you and I agree this season has already been a big improvement over the last few years of terrible play. However this team is definitely better than just being a slightly over .500 team. I see the potential this team has and get frustrated that management hasn’t addressed the glaring needs we have. Then after losses like last night and that Memphis game it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Makes you wonder how many more winnable games is this team going to lose. Which will be the difference between being a playoff team or a play in team. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, OnlyFranz said:

I get you and I agree this season has already been a big improvement over the last few years of terrible play. However this team is definitely better than just being a slightly over .500 team. I see the potential this team has and get frustrated that management hasn’t addressed the glaring needs we have. Then after losses like last night and that Memphis game it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Makes you wonder how many more winnable games is this team going to lose. Which will be the difference between being a playoff team or a play in team. 

I agree.  Yes we’re better than our previous teams  that collectively had the very worst cumulative W-L record in the NBA over the past 10 years, but that’s an extremely low bar.  I too want to see this team live up to their potential.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I have never heard of an 8 minute limit for a player. This is clown level. 

Don’t forget that until now, he hasn’t played in any back to backs at all.  Not surprising they wanted to see how that went the first time with very limited minutes.  I think the strategy was to get us into good shape for the second half, which did happen.  The team should not have collapsed like they did in the third quarter.  I’ve rarely seen anything like it in pro basketball.  Outscored 35-12?

13 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I agree.  Yes we’re better than our previous teams  that collectively had the very worst cumulative W-L record in the NBA over the past 10 years, but that’s an extremely low bar.  I too want to see this team live up to their potential.  

I ran out of upvotes but this is a +1 from me. We’ve been the bottom feeders of this league for far too long and just because up to this point we’re a few games better than our record last year doesn’t mean we have to settle and be satisfied with that. 

every time i watched these kind of videos, it brings tears to my eyes. 

In that era, Star calls also happened, don’t get me wrong. But the players weren’t constantly whining and baiting for fouls. 

This game is a prime example. Doncic got 20 FT called in this game and honestly shouldn’t have even shot 10. He was barely touched all night. 
And then the discrepancy on these calls bother me. By the standards these refs set this game, they absolutely needed to call that touch foul on Paolo for the And 1 dunk. Could have tied the game.

Doncic scoring 45 points while only making 12 shots from the field is wild. 

There was a time where 45 points was special. The way the WWE is today, 45 points are random, and happen any given night

Times Anthony Black has hit 4 3's in a game in his half a rookie season: 2

Times Markelle Fultz has hit 4 3s in a game in his 6 and a half years in the league: 0. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Times Anthony Black has hit 4 3's in a game in his half a rookie season: 2

Times Markelle Fultz has hit 4 3s in a game in his 6 and a half years in the league: 0. 

Yeah, I think Markelle could be the guy on the trade block. He’s starting to round back into form with his defense and driving (when he plays) but he won’t even look at the basket from 20 + feet. He’s not a good fit with Paolo, and we need to be focused on the players that fit best around our superstar.

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Last night was our 7th one possession loss of the season. If even just 3 of those 7 go different, we’re 27-20 and tied in 6th with Indiana. 

In all honesty..We win those games if we make free throws like a pro team. We are ridiculously bad. 

Do they have these freebies for two missed free throws? Fans should purchase tickets for those freebies when the Magic are in town

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

In all honesty..We win those games if we make free throws like a pro team. We are ridiculously bad. 

Do they have these freebies for two missed free throws? Fans should purchase tickets for those freebies when the Magic are in town

Yeah, we’re 27th out of 30 teams in free throw percentage, 75.5%. It’s crazy cause we don’t really have one player I can think of that’s downright bad at the line, it’s a full team problem.