Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

Paolo thinks he is a Lebron type player, well he better learn how to pass, cuz his careless turnovers are problematic to say the least. His game may be similar to bron but his vision is NOT. 
also what was the score when Isaac was yanked out after a whole five minutes? Oh yeah we were leading. SMDH 

Our lack of outside shooting and therefore spacing is being exposed.  I don’t know how many times I’ve seen Franz going 1v2 or 1v3 this game, trying to get to the basket.  I will say that with better ball movement and less dribbling into traffic we probably would get better shots, so that is also impacting our shooting.

2 minutes ago, Jamesdin said:

No one should be allowed shooting the 3

Exactly we should be driving into the paint and drawing contact so we can get them into foul trouble. Repeatedly jacking up 3 point shots and missing horribly isn’t going to turn this game around. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, OnlyFranz said:

Exactly we should be driving into the paint and drawing contact so we can get them into foul trouble. Repeatedly jacking up 3 point shots and missing horribly isn’t going to turn this game around. 

Driving 1v3 into the paint isn’t working either. Need some ball movement to find open shots or open driving lanes.  Other teams know we’re committed to get into the paint, especially Franz and Paulo, and they simply sag off and let them try.  Can’t mindlessly just drive into that.  

I think driving into the paint can work (by a good point guard) to attempt a layup or kick the ball back out to an open teammate. Kelle did it a lot. If  a point guard is guarded by 3 opponents, he can  "circle the wagon" by dribbling underneath the basket  along the baseline, then pass the ball off to an open teammate and/or keep the ball moving. It makes the opposing players scramble and leaves someone open on the Magic to take and make a shot.

Steph Curry does it a lot. Cole has also done it.

It does not always have to be Franz or Paolo driving into the paint.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Driving 1v3 into the paint isn’t working either. Need some ball movement to find open shots or open driving lanes.  Other teams know we’re committed to get into the paint, especially Franz and Paulo, and they simply sag off and let them try.  Can’t mindlessly just drive into that.  

Who said anything about driving 1v3 into the paint? We need guys moving without the ball and cutting to the basket. When Paolo is getting doubled he should be looking to pass to the open man not force a contested off balanced shot. When they send an extra defender to help out on Franz drives he needs to look for the open man instead of forcing it. We are lacking execution on basic fundamental basketball plays. Why weren’t Suggs or JI guarding Herro when they were on the floor? He was lighting us up all game and the coaching staff made no adjustments to try and slow him down. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

I think driving into the paint can work (by a good point guard) to attempt a layup or kick the ball back out to an open teammate. Kelle did it a lot. If  a point guard is guarded by 3 opponents, he can  "circle the wagon" by dribbling underneath the basket  along the baseline, then pass the ball off to an open teammate and/or keep the ball moving. It makes the opposing players scramble and leaves someone open on the Magic to take and make a shot.

Steph Curry does it a lot. Cole has also done it.

It does not always have to be Franz or Paolo driving into the paint.

I agree 100%! Too many guys just standing around while Paolo and Franz dribble the air out of the basketball. Coaching staff need to get more creative with their sets and get more players on the floor involved. 

• Upvote 1

I lied in that other thread I do have thoughts. 

Don't personally think a 3 man C rotation can work. Pick 2 and go with it. 

Absolutely wild how much worse we look without 36 year old Joe Ingles playing 20 mins off the bench.

Gary Harris just be getting cardio in on offense lately. 

Next time we're getting blown out (likely tonight) we should just let Franz shoot 3s until he sees one go in. There's no way someone who's been pretty good for so long can just now be terrible. 

Without Ingles, Harris doing absolutely nothing and Franz jumper deserting him this team doesn't have anywhere near enough shooting. 

At this point I'd welcome a trade of some kind to add a different dynamic to this team.