Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

14 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Here is my guess on CT’s response.

“He scores to much and doesn’t play defense” oh and he makes too much money. 

11 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

It's not really that I don't like Mitchell. It's just a risk/reward thing, the same thing as last time. Donovan has 1 year left on his deal after this and it seems blatantly obvious he wants out to a big market. The Cavs would want to recoup a lot of assets for him. We've got a lot of years of Paolo/Franz playoff contention to come and I don't think we should blow our assets on 1 and a half years of Donovan Mitchell while Paolo and Franz are still in their early 20s when I don't think adding Donovan even makes us a legitimate contender. 

I figured it was more of a commitment issue with Orlando as he’s been linked to New York for years. I think he would fit well with our team but it would be a huge risk for him to leave. It would be a hell of a big three in my opinion. He is paid the right amount for his production. I don’t think he’s overpaid like a Lavine for example. CT would you pursue him in free agency if he was willing to come here?  I don’t think it will be an option but just curious.   I remember Soul Bro being a big fan also. 

I just listened to KOC and Chris Vernon talking about Mitchell trades (not my favorite Pod Cast). Most of the league would be interested in him. They did mention Orlando as a perfect destination for him if we knew he’d resign. 

These two games against the Celtics have crystalized to me that we're still a ways away from being a contender. 

The way to beat us is super clear at the moment. Defensive wings to guard Paolo/Franz and clog up the paint by helping off of bad shooters when we're on offense and then space us out on defense with 4+ shooters and quick passing.

At this point this team needs to be acquiring as many defense playing, high feel, shooters as possible. Basically if you're an NBA player who can meet these criteria (in this order of importance) we should be targeting you: 

Great shooter (bonus points if can shoot the 3 off of movement or off the dribble)

Plays solid D (emphasis on perimeter mobility)

Positional size (this is important for how we set up on defense, size and length allow us to help and recover easier)

Solid passer

Playoff experience (more of a nice to have)

I like Royce O'Neale a lot in that mould this summer when thinking about non stars. Great shooter, good passer, good defensive player, 44 playoff games in his career. 

Fultz + Harris + a couple 2nds (no idea if thats enough, would do the 2024 first if we planned to re-sign him) for Gordon Hayward... Is that anything? 

Hayward gives you a starting calibre shooter/scorer to either add into the SL (he and Franz can play the 2/3) or off the bench (taking Harris' minutes). He's got the size advantage over Harris on the wing, might be able to be resigned in the summer on a more team friendly deal but otherwise his 30m comes off the books...

I dunno I'm bored and trying to find ways we could improve this team without trading a billion assets. 

Here's something insane. AB is currently shooting the 3 pointer on higher volume and at a better percentage than Markelle has at any point in his career.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Here's something insane. AB is currently shooting the 3 pointer on higher volume and at a better percentage than Markelle has at any point in his career.

As I mentioned earlier, his shot looks good, it’s just that his release is really slow.

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Strong rumours the new arena sponsor is Kia. We'll find out tomorrow either way.

it's going to be really weird calling it anything but the Amway Center. I personally just wish we could always call it the O-rena and just be done with it. Capitalism sucks lol 

5 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

it's going to be really weird calling it anything but the Amway Center. I personally just wish we could always call it the O-rena and just be done with it. Capitalism sucks lol 

If Kia, or whoever this sponsor ends up being, wanted to garner some immediate good will with fans they'd be smart to go with "[Sponsor] O-rena". It won't happen but it'd be cool.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

If Kia, or whoever this sponsor ends up being, wanted to garner some immediate good will with fans they'd be smart to go with "[Sponsor] O-rena". It won't happen but it'd be cool.

This ❤️

On 12/18/2023 at 10:55 AM, CTMagicUK said:

These two games against the Celtics have crystalized to me that we're still a ways away from being a contender.

We were not even in playins last season, becoming directly contenders it's not simple, but I understand the emotional part of the winning streak. We obviously have a lot to improve and some pieces will be to be moved/added, but at least now we've a fundation that is defense. We can win regular season games only with that and effort. Playoffs are another story tough, our weakness would be even more exposed, and players like Goga and AB would be hard to even use in the rotation.

Weird schedule, seem like we're not playing at all recently!