Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'm still not convinced we make a big trade or even a trade at all. Per Tankathon we have the easiest strength of schedule remaining in the league, and although we have a lot of injuries right now none of them are "long term" injuries except Markelle.

Plus we're still not a contender and even games where guys are injured give us opportunities for learning and growth. Opportunities to evaluate the 2 way guys and see Paolo be the sole focus of defenses etc. 

And we have a lot of cap space in the summer so could improve that way, i.e. why trade for an expiring contract when you can just offer the guy a contract in the summer and give up no assets?

Not saying I necessarily agree or that I wouldn't be happy to see some moves, just there are arguments against it.

Look at CT brining logic and patience to the discussion as always. There would be some fans that would be angry but most are not matter what our franchise does. (SHOOTING, this franchise never does this blah blah, etc)

The strength of schedule is a big one that needs to be stressed. We are in the hardest part of the year right now. Junkie gives daily updates on how close we are to 8th. I think if Franz and Paolo are healthy we can have a strong push after The All Star Break and land between 5-6 without trades.  Making The Play Offs is a must for me personally. A PG or just a healthy Fultz (I’ve given up on this) would solidify our run.

From a team building aspect it would make more sense to me to trade for a rotation piece this year. We have so many expiring contracts and don’t need three draft picks the next two years we have to develop. Jett and AB look like they will take awhile already for example. It’s harder to sign impact free agents these days also. But I see the other side like you wrote. 

Hawks willing to move Bogdanovic and D. Murray. I wouldn't mind seeing something like this:

Orlando gets: Bogdanovic, Dejounte Murray

Atlanta gets: Pascal Siakam

Toronto gets: Wendell Carter Jr, Markelle Fultz

some picks move around to make it happen, I don't care

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Hawks willing to move Bogdanovic and D. Murray. I wouldn't mind seeing something like this:

Orlando gets: Bogdanovic, Dejounte Murray

Atlanta gets: Pascal Siakam

Toronto gets: Wendell Carter Jr, Markelle Fultz

some picks move around to make it happen, I don't care

I’d make that trade in a heartbeat. Gives us a real floor general who can score from all 3 levels and the floor spacer we desperately need without mortgaging our future. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, OnlyFranz said:

I’d make that trade in a heartbeat. Gives us a real floor general who can score from all 3 levels and the floor spacer we desperately need without mortgaging our future. 

Except it would mortgage at least some of our future because we'd have to give up a lot of picks to make that trade even remotely reasonable for Toronto.

18 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Except it would mortgage at least some of our future because we'd have to give up a lot of picks to make that trade even remotely reasonable for Toronto.

I’m ok with that as long as those draft picks are within the next few years. We don’t need to bring in anymore rookies to develop. We need to balance the current roster out with guys who are proven and that can compliment Franz and Paolo. Also it would be Atlanta handing out more first round picks than us since they are the ones who would be acquiring Siakam. Regardless if that deal is out there and makes sense for us without having to give up any of our core I’d make that trade today. 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

we already have a bit of a logjam at SG and would bring in two SG? I don’t want Dejounte running an offense, he’s not a floor general. 

we‘d have no playing time for Suggs and Cole.

we‘d have no cap space in the summer as well. 

I like the possibility of adding Monk in the summer. Not happening with that trade

28 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

we already have a bit of a logjam at SG and would bring in two SG? I don’t want Dejounte running an offense, he’s not a floor general. 

I like the possibility of adding Monk in the summer. Not happening with that trade

You convinced me with the character issue stuff earlier so this is more of a thought exercise.  I don’t agree that Murray wouldn’t be a good basketball fit. He has been playing with Trae Young as a shooting guard.  Trae is so hard to play with in my opinion and has locker room issues himself that our well documented.  Bogdnovich would give us the shooter we covet though he is older than I thought (31 yo).  I would start Suggs and Murray while bringing Cole and Bogdoovich off the bench.  What a great defensive backcourt that would be.

I’d love Monk as well though I’d only give Orlando a 10% chance of signing him.  He gets along so well with Fox and they seem to love him in Sacramento.  Its really hard to get free agents and you almost always have to overpay to get them.

• Upvote 1

Since we started talking free agency a bit I found this list of free agents this summer.  Not great my friends to be honest.  If we want very fringe bench players there are a few.  I am with Danny Ainge on Cap Space in todays NBA.  Trading is a lot easier for your guy to me.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2024-nba-free-agent-rankings/

1 hour ago, orlandoholic said:

You’re wrong he can definitely run an offense considering he was the starting PG when he was a Spur.

Suggs would start at SG and Cole would be our 6th man so not sure how we would have a logjam at the SG position. Bogdanovic can play the 2 or 3 so again no logjam. 

We wouldn’t need the cap space this summer because the trade would address our guard and floor spacing issues.

Monk would be a nice consolation prize but why wait for that to happen if we could possibly trade with Atlanta now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MagicMan1979 said:

Since we started talking free agency a bit I found this list of free agents this summer.  Not great my friends to be honest.  If we want very fringe bench players there are a few.  I am with Danny Ainge on Cap Space in todays NBA.  Trading is a lot easier for your guy to me.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2024-nba-free-agent-rankings/

It depends what you expect. If you expect a star? Sure it's not good but there are plenty of solid bench options that would help us, even some that I've seen Magic fans discuss as trade targets for us in both the distant and recent past (Tyus Jones, Doug McDermott, Gary Trent, Grayson Allen, Luke Kennard, Malik Monk etc - not that I'm necessarily condoning any of these names as free agent targets).

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'm still not convinced we make a big trade or even a trade at all. Per Tankathon we have the easiest strength of schedule remaining in the league, and although we have a lot of injuries right now none of them are "long term" injuries except Markelle.

Plus we're still not a contender and even games where guys are injured give us opportunities for learning and growth. Opportunities to evaluate the 2 way guys and see Paolo be the sole focus of defenses etc. 

And we have a lot of cap space in the summer so could improve that way, i.e. why trade for an expiring contract when you can just offer the guy a contract in the summer and give up no assets?

Not saying I necessarily agree or that I wouldn't be happy to see some moves, just there are arguments against it.

If the FO acts like in the past, I'm pretty sure we aren't going to make a big move, or a trade at all. With all the improvement we're having this season, that aspect still worry me, together ,ayne with the lack of quality of the staff (shooting coach? offensive top assistant?) even if I logically don't have any info about that, only sensations. As I repeated multiple times, I hate to have to overpay for FA, even if we don't lose assets that way, I absolutely prefer a trade in which we gave up a little depth or picks. Making a decision about the future of the PG position should be on top of the list of the FO, IMO

I also fully understand the point about Murray, but generally speaking, are we sure that we're going to win and being contenders with only "good guys"? I mean, at some point and in certain situations "bad guys" are a need to, together with veteran leaders, as long they're not lockeroom cancer obviously.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

It depends what you expect. If you expect a star? Sure it's not good but there are plenty of solid bench options that would help us, even some that I've seen Magic fans discuss as trade targets for us in both the distant and recent past (Tyus Jones, Doug McDermott, Gary Trent, Grayson Allen, Luke Kennard, Malik Monk etc - not that I'm necessarily condoning any of these names as free agent targets).

I no your not saying these guys necessarily but I feel we would have to overpay all of them.  There are very few free agents this year.  I would like at least one more good guard to compliment Paulo and Franz moving forward.  

For example why sign Tyus Jones (I think I remember your not a fan) assuming you let Fultz walk for nothing when you can go get a Brogdon or even pay more for a Simmons right now?  I am not asking for Mitchell or something huge like that would be.  Are you a fan CT of keeping all 3 draft picks the next two years out of curiosity?