Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

I love Shaq …who doesn’t …but the Magic retiring his jersey ? He only played for this franchise 3 years .

Thoughts anybody ?

I texted my 81 year old Dad and I agreed with his statement “it’s about da# time!”

He is the best we’ve ever had in Orlando. 

1 minute ago, MagicMan1979 said:

I texted my 81 year old Dad and I agreed with his statement “it’s about da# time!”

He is the best we’ve ever had in Orlando. 

Not sure about you 79 but I was a season ticket holder in 95 …from the time the Magic won the lottery and the right draft him he and his agent Armato were talking about LA and movies and commercials and more opportunity to make more money …that Sentinel poll just made his exit easy …the money offers from both teams was nearly identical …he played 3 seasons and left on bad terms …I think he called Orlando and dried up little pond …I just don’t see how you retire a man’s jersey that only played 3 seasons for your franchise …has that happened anywhere else ? Was reading on another site the guys there said tonight on TNT when he was told about it his attitude was no big deal like he didn’t really care 

• Like 1

Here is my sentiments on Shaquille.

Fuuukkkk!! Him and his bs!!!! Let the lakers or heat retire his dam jersey. 

I’ve been a fan of the Magic since it’s inception and his desire for LA fame doomed this franchise for many many years. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Not sure about you 79 but I was a season ticket holder in 95 …from the time the Magic won the lottery and the right draft him he and his agent Armato were talking about LA and movies and commercials and more opportunity to make more money …that Sentinel poll just made his exit easy …the money offers from both teams was nearly identical …he played 3 seasons and left on bad terms …I think he called Orlando and dried up little pond …I just don’t see how you retire a man’s jersey that only played 3 seasons for your franchise …has that happened anywhere else ? Was reading on another site the guys there said tonight on TNT when he was told about it his attitude was no big deal like he didn’t really care 

I remember all of that Junkie. I’m 44 and time has healed that wound for me. I loved those years. It is one of the reasons I love basketball. I’ve got a more positive attitude toward Shaq I guess. Glass is half full for me usually. It’s also about time we retired someone. 

• Upvote 1

Weak. I agreed with the stance that only players who won us a championship should have their jersey retired. We stuck with that for so long only to say "nah nvm"

Basically guarantees Dwight is getting his retired too at some point. And I'd hope that's it.

21 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Weak. I agreed with the stance that only players who won us a championship should have their jersey retired. We stuck with that for so long only to say "nah nvm"

Basically guarantees Dwight is getting his retired too at some point. And I'd hope that's it.

seem a theory that Shaq might get it retired because he is set to become partial owner.. 

1 hour ago, orlandoholic said:

seem a theory that Shaq might get it retired because he is set to become partial owner.. 

That's even sadder if true.

5 hours ago, MagicMan1979 said:

I remember all of that Junkie. I’m 44 and time has healed that wound for me. I loved those years. It is one of the reasons I love basketball. I’ve got a more positive attitude toward Shaq I guess. Glass is half full for me usually. It’s also about time we retired someone. 

Yeah I don’t have all this emotional anger towards him lol …I just genuinely don’t see what he’s done for Orlando to earn that distinction …I grew up watching the Celtics cause Florida didn’t have any teams at the time …TV cameras always showing the rafters in the old Boston Garden with all these great players …guys that played for their franchise many, many years and maintained a great relationship .

Shaq also ripped Brian Hill on his way out …the same Brian Hill that still works in the studio now for the team …Shaq said he couldn’t win a champ under Hill …he wanted to go to Phil Jackson where he could win one …now that may be true but he basically ruined Brian Hill coaching career after that …point is he burned a lot of bridges in his exit .

He was here 3 years …first year finished 500 no playoffs …second year made playoffs swept in first round …third year to the finals swept in the finals .

Do other franchises have jerseys hanging for players with this kind of resume ?

I mean, at least Howard signed two contracts and was here for 8 years from teenage years trying to bring the city a champ 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ball junkie said:

I agree. If we retire anybody number its Dwight 1st in my opinion 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

I agree. If we retire anybody number its Dwight 1st in my opinion 

We are literally retiring Shaq's first.

7 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

We are literally retiring Shaq's first.

i dont think we should at all