CTMagicUK

2023 NBA Free Agency Thread

I brought up Watford when he got waived and I agree I'd love to see him here if we find a roster spot. He might be nothing but he could be a real roleplayer and I'm willing to pay him a couple million for a season to get a chance to find out. 

Another guy I'd put in that similar category is Troy Brown. 

10 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Either we just flat out weren't interested (most likely) or he prioritized a spot he thought could be an immediate contender. 

Side note: Dallas have had a great off-season so far. Used the draft to get Lively, the full MLE and OMax Prosper who I think might be able to contribute immediately. Then kept Kyrie which realistically they had to do and added Grant Williams, Seth Curry and Dante Exum who might be a sneaky good addition. And possibly they'll add Thybulle also with the MLE depending on if Portland match. It's not blockbuster but they've added a bunch of defense and some shooting around Luka/Kyrie. 

I imagine Williams wanted to start, which he wasn't going to do here. Might have been a deal-killer from the get-go as I would have rather had Williams at $14M / year than an aging Ingles at $11M / year. Or maybe for the Magic it really was about keeping cap flexibility as our core players come off their rookie deals.

32 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I imagine Williams wanted to start, which he wasn't going to do here. Might have been a deal-killer from the get-go as I would have rather had Williams at $14M / year than an aging Ingles at $11M / year. Or maybe for the Magic it really was about keeping cap flexibility as our core players come off their rookie deals.

This.

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

Probably a little of both!

Adrian Wojnarowski: PICKS TRADE: The Memphis Grizzlies are trading three second-round picks to the Phoenix Suns for two first-round pick swaps (2024 and 2030) and Isaiah Todd, sources tell ESPN. The seconds are 2025 via Pels, and Memphis’ 2028 and 2029 picks.

– via Twitterwojespn

These are some of the deals i don’t know why we don’t make.. We have plenty of second round picks (cash considerations) and why not swing for pick swaps.. Especially the 2030 swap could be special.. Looks like a risk i would take
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, orlandoholic said:
Adrian Wojnarowski: PICKS TRADE: The Memphis Grizzlies are trading three second-round picks to the Phoenix Suns for two first-round pick swaps (2024 and 2030) and Isaiah Todd, sources tell ESPN. The seconds are 2025 via Pels, and Memphis’ 2028 and 2029 picks.

– via Twitterwojespn

These are some of the deals i don’t know why we don’t make.. We have plenty of second round picks (cash considerations) and why not swing for pick swaps.. Especially the 2030 swap could be special.. Looks like a risk i would take

That's a fantastic deal for Memphis

10 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

– via Twitterwojespn

Because our FO is (or at least was with WeltHam) too much precautious and extremely risk-adverse. Which is a fair approach in contexts where failure is highly penalizing.
But in my humble opinion, in sport, and especially one like the NBA, where there is no relegation to a “lower-tier league” if you have a very bad season, or considerable reduction in the sponsorships and revenues, it does not seem to me as the correct approach… Or at least the best one, if the main purpose is to be the best (or be able to beat the best consistently) and win the championship.

I don’t want to look like I am always highlighting only the bads of our (previous) FO, make no mistake, I think they did a good job, but there was this aspect of their management that I never really understood.

I don’t know A.Parker’s management approach, I tend to think he is more risk-tolerant and bold looking at his resume, especially in Lakeland, but with Weltman staying around, I think this mentality will not change too much, at least not in the short-term…

So it is what it is… and that’s why I don’t believe (even if I would hope for) that we are going for Herro these days, when everybody sees that there is the opportunity to take a risk with a possible biiig gain as a return...

just my 2 cents…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yossi Gozlan: The Spurs ($15M), Magic ($11M), Pacers ($7.5M), and Rockets ($4.3M) are the only teams with cap space remaining. The Kings had a little bit left but are now capped out after officially re-signing Trey Lyles. Pistons, Jazz, and Thunder also capped out. capsheets.com

we have the second most cap to spend with several good FA left! we could still throw out a nice one year deal to an upgrade for this roster. 
Maybe Christian Wood

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Suns are getting Bol Bol it looks like. Random.

They're about to find out he's a highlight machine that doesn't rebound, play defense, or pass. I'm sure KD will love him. 

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Suns are getting Bol Bol it looks like. Random.

Weird. They need spot up shooters to surround their talent, not a super raw prospect about to enter his 5th year in the league. Maybe they’re hoping he flashes early and they can trade high, like we should’ve done.

So long as we haven't officially announced the re-signing of Wagner we're exploring stuff we could do with our cap room. As of right now we have I think ~13mil in cap room (off the top of my head, could be wrong), as soon as we officially resign Mo that drops to ~5mil. We can use the room exception or bird rights to resign Mo so the amount of cap room we have left won't matter to retain him.