Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2023 NBA Draft Day Thread

On 6/22/2023 at 3:09 PM, CTMagicUK said:

I'll be shocked and have reservations if we pick Bilal at 6. 

I don't think Bilal is the 6th best prospect in this draft. I don't even think he's top 10.

I'd like to point out that Bilal went 7th; so your comment that Bilal wasn't the 6th best prospect and wouldn't go top 10 in reference to my calling the Magic take him at #6...

I'd just like to highlight this comment for when y'all doubt me next time. Lol

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TreyMachine said:

I'd like to point out that Bilal went 7th; so your comment that Bilal wasn't the 6th best prospect and wouldn't go top 10 in reference to my calling the Magic take him at #6...

With that said, I like Black as a glue guy for us, similar to what Aaron Gordon became for the Denver Nuggets. Every team needs those guys who play hard every play and are okay not chucking 15 shots / night. 

Related, did you all know that Black had a 39 inch vertical at the combine? Wild. 

4 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

To be clear, I said "I don't think he's top 10" as in I didn't personally believe he was a top 10 prospect and I didn't. My board is on record in the other thread I had him at 16. 

Here's a two scenarios that are fun to conjecture on:

- If Cam Whitmore is taken #5, do we still take Black or do we take Ausar Thompson? 

- If Coulibaly is still there at #11, so we take him or are we still taking Jett?

I'm of the opinion I still think we take Black (and anger tons of guys on this board even more), but would have taken Coulibaly had he been available, even if the fit with Jett might be better. 

35 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Here's a two scenarios that are fun to conjecture on:

- If Cam Whitmore is taken #5, do we still take Black or do we take Ausar Thompson? 

- If Coulibaly is still there at #11, so we take him or are we still taking Jett?

I'm of the opinion I still think we take Black (and anger tons of guys on this board even more), but would have taken Coulibaly had he been available, even if the fit with Jett might be better. 

I still think we take Black over Ausar. Blacks' team turned down our workout at first, but I guess management must've told his team we were going to shake the roster up, which made his people felt more comfortable and allowed Black to workout with us. 

Now, I think the real decision would've been if Amen was available.

I agree on Jett Howard. I feel he was their guy all along at 11.

12 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

What did you think to ABs context at Arkansas this year? 

And not to start a disagreement on the other pick now also lol but the argument for Jett is simply: 

His defense and athleticism is better than he could show this year with injuries. 

He's a much better creator off the dribble than either of Gradey Dick or Jordan Hawkins whilst being a comparable 3 point shooter. 

But I get why people would be lower on that pick, it wouldn't have been what I'd have done and I was super high on Jett at the beginning of the year. We can't possibly know about the injury stuff until we see it with our eyes and he looked rough on defense at the back end of the year. 

From what I read, Arkansas had terrible spacing as a team. Is that what you’re referring to?

I wasn’t aware of the injury on Jett so that’s my fault. Excuse my ignorance. He looked awfully slow in some of the clips so maybe that’s what I was seeing. 

1 hour ago, Jon said:

From what I read, Arkansas had terrible spacing as a team. Is that what you’re referring to?

I wasn’t aware of the injury on Jett so that’s my fault. Excuse my ignorance. He looked awfully slow in some of the clips so maybe that’s what I was seeing. 

I wanted to know what you thought of the overall context and how that might have affected his play and what he showed. Personnel, scheme etc. You said you watched the games?

9 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

Actually Bilal went 8th.. He was only picked by Indiana because they squeezed out an asset out of Washington.. 

Bilal is not the 8th best talent of this draft right now. It’s Washington swinging on his potential. Potential to grow, potential to get stronger and to add to his game. 

As of right now, i could name 10 players who are better players right now. Outside of the top 10 picks. 

Washington are in a good place to swing at potential. They are starting their rebuild right now. If Washington doesn’t draft him he could have fell multiple spots. 
We pick him at 11 maybe because it was our second pick. 

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Apparently Jett had awesome workouts with Toronto and OKC. 

Wonder if we thought Toronto might pick him at 13.

I saw that interview by Quentin Richardson...wish we could see those workouts.

9 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I wanted to know what you thought of the overall context and how that might have affected his play and what he showed. Personnel, scheme etc. You said you watched the games?

I watched full games of him.

I’m not super knowledgeable about scheme and personnel. I know they had talent. As two other guys went in the draft (Nick Smith Jr and Jordan Walsh). Their coach Mussleman  was a assistant for us a while back and has been around. He’s an old school coach who loves gritty players and is very defensive minded. Watching BlacK I can see the influence he’s had on him. Athlete who plays football, can run and jump, plays defense, always hustling on every play  and gets to the line a lot. That’s middleman’s philosophy to a T and two things that stand out in the eye test and in the numbers.

ISma3VsO_bigger.jpg

The Orlando Magic needed a movement shooter next to their young core, and they got it in Jett Howard Incredibly versatile in different off-ball screening actions, as he proved at Michigan. Quick, pristine release. Shot 40% from 3 through 17 games pre-ankle injury

Didn't like the pick at first, but starting to come around to really liking it now. Reminds me of a 6'8 version of Jordan Poole. I feel Weltman was looking for a guy that was more than a shooter, and Howard is a scorer/shooter, a las Terrance Ross.