Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

4 hours ago, hootie249 said:

I am underwhelmed by our offseason but as others have pointed out, it's probably for the best. While the draft and free agency went nowhere  i predicted, i see what they were trying to do.

Draft wise we got the shooter everyone said we needed at 11. Lets see if they picked a winner like Wagner. Just because it wasn't the guy i wanted or you guys wanted makes no difference. It was technically the type of pick we needed. With Black they picked the guard they thought had the most upside. Everyone wanted the 6th pick to be used on BPA leaning towards a guard or wing. 

That's what they did. I personally thought they would jump at the chance to get one of the two forwards in a draft lacking big men. I was wrong, hope they are right.

Finally we thought it might be the perfect time to consolidate and turn a few role players into one better player. We did not choosing to bring back almost everyone. Getting Jingles was good forward depth if you wanted to avoid bringing in anyone who would take touches away from the young guys. I think that was the goal.

As always i am disappointed in the sneaky little moves other teams do but we don't. Maybe we should have traded and signed Williams. Why don't we get and stash euro players or an undrafted college standout for Lakeland. Who knows?

Clearly they think Cole,Suggs and Fultz have another gear to hit this year and don't want to mess it up. Black is a project but Jett and even Houston should get minutes if they can defend and knock down 3's. 

Overall i am excited but underwhelmed. 

Yeah... I think there is a juxtaposition between go all in now and cash in on assets  now or be patient and see what pans out... 

It definitely looks like we are in the second boat... which is probably the safe one... especially given that the free agent class is weak and we have young talent...

I mean, who could we have signed that would have made us a championship contender with this team?

I think that would  take more than just  Dame... and while Portland is seemingly attempting to sign every young point guard on the planet... they were probably only doing that to piss off Lillard... now that he has asked for a trade... maybe they will not want to take any of the our guards... and then ... really what could we offer?

They want 9 first round picks... we had better be sure that is the right move if we do that...

I don't see that making us a finals type team right away... 

So if you would have to wait and see if the young guys pan out any ways... why not stock up on assets while you do that?

If we get lucky and one of the 4 young guards we have starts to elevate ... really just hit 3s we would be on a really good track ... and at that point we would have the assets to actually go get the missing pieces to turn it up...

I mean we avoided taking on any real bad contracts... and the ones we over paid will come off the books when it's time to re-sign Paulo... 

We have a pretty solid core... and young guys who do play hard and work hard off the court too...who are also tall and versatile defenders we are set to be able to keep our two best players when they become FA... and in a league that is increasingly trying to discourage and break up super teams... our course seems pretty solid to me...

What changes would you have wanted us to make?

I would have liked us to have drafted maybe Lively from Duke and  Jordan Hawkins... I think they are both ready to contribute now... but I like the idea of us trying to be a home grown contender in a couple years and probably both of our draft picks have bigger upside ... 

Most of the free agents available that could have helped us had some serious down side aspects... age... asking price was way too high... bad locker room fit... 

And none of them ... IMO would have made us Champion material...

It’s a true sh!t show... just a bunch of turds out there now..

AB took a shot to the grill and Jett tweaked his hip or something late in last nights game..

Im sure fear of injury is a key factor in not playing this back to back..

Certainly an underwhelming summer..

We better blast out of the gates next season with a healthy roster and a winning record.. anything less is failure 

11 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I guess AB and Howard proved they are ready, so they shut them down for the week. Yep. Par for the course on the clown show aka Magic mngt. 

Agree …disappointing …not like they don’t need reps 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I guess AB and Howard proved they are ready, so they shut them down for the week. Yep. Par for the course on the clown show aka Magic mngt. 

Why are you still a Magic fan???

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

Anyone who thinks Franz won't be a max player should watch this video. 

Imma be simple with this.. A max player is or should be a player who puts up 25PPG at least and carry his team. 

Wagner is really great, he does a lot of things and he is definitely a cornerstone of this rebuild! But a Max player? 

Not in my opinion…

But i do know that i’m todays NBA he will get the max and is basically worth the max by new standards.

Super excited to see this team. Would've been nice if Wiggins and our boy Sharpe were there, but just Jamal and SGA together will be electric. Would probably be the best backcourt in the NBA

28 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Super excited to see this team. Would've been nice if Wiggins and our boy Sharpe were there, but just Jamal and SGA together will be electric. Would probably be the best backcourt in the NBA

Jamal is a good Fiba baller imo.. let’s see how SGA plays Fiba ball. His game isn’t really great for FIBA style basketball.. There’s not a ton of room in the paint, the floor shrinks..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Is it a crime to want better for the fans of this team? 

Not at all, and all of us do want better, but some of your comments seem like you really despise this team.

• Upvote 2