Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

Zach Lowe on his latest podcast said he keeps coming back to Max Strus for the Magic. 

Says Max Strus is getting at least the full MLE and all the teams with the MLE who need tough, wing shooters are scared that a salary cap team could offer more and take Strus and people think that might be Indiana but Zach says "it could be Orlando, who are coy as hell".

He says "if you can't decide what position you want to fill, add a shooter". He's on the pod with Howard Beck who thinks we should be in on Fred VanVleet. 

EDIT: worth nothing there was a report that Indiana were considering 3 years 48m for Strus. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Zach Lowe on his latest podcast said he keeps coming back to Max Strus for the Magic. 

Says Max Strus is getting at least the full MLE and all the teams with the MLE who need tough, wing shooters are scared that a salary cap team could offer more and take Strus and people think that might be Indiana but Zach says "it could be Orlando, who are coy as hell".

He says "if you can't decide what position you want to fill, add a shooter". He's on the pod with Howard Beck who thinks we should be in on Fred VanVleet. 

EDIT: worth nothing there was a report that Indiana were considering 3 years 48m for Strus. 

I’d be really disappointed if our big FA move was Strus.

15 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I’d be really disappointed if our big FA move was Strus.

Max Strus is pretty good. Good shooter and ball mover, looked ok defensively in the playoffs although I think that's contrary to his reputation a bit. He's played in more playoff games than the rest of the roster combined. Would I be jumping for joy? No. But I wouldn't be disappointed, I think a lot of teams would probably like to add Strus to their roster. 

6 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

that’s also no knock on Vooch.. He’s a great player.. It’s just that they don’t use his skills properly in Chicago.. 

Did we used his skills properly in Orlando? If so, the most we obtained is elimination in the first round of playoffs with only one W in those series (when things were going for the better, before we were just a even worst team)

Maybe the problem is the player, not the environment. Gordon was traded, he adapted to the new situation and become a key player for winning it all. Vuc never changed here, great stat numbers with no def and no leadership. Don't know in CHI, but seeing their results, seem to be always the same.

21 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Max Strus is pretty good. Good shooter and ball mover, looked ok defensively in the playoffs although I think that's contrary to his reputation a bit. He's played in more playoff games than the rest of the roster combined. Would I be jumping for joy? No. But I wouldn't be disappointed, I think a lot of teams would probably like to add Strus to their roster. 

I don't dislike him, but he could be the archetype we talked in the past of overpaying a player after a good playoff run. A player that was into the right system and maybe overachieved even more for that. Could be good at a fair price, but could also became a bad contract easily if offered too much.

39 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think if we can get him for a decent amount of money for a shorter term contract, I'm all for it. Something that does align with our team is he's seemingly a really good, down to earth guy. I remember seeing a story where he had The Eastern conference championship trophy and took it around to all the workers / non-players and media members on the plane home to ensure that everyone got a picture with the trophy, of which he offered to take the pictures. A few other stories like that out there on him. Always thinking of other people, which is the kind of player you like having in a locker room. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Sustaining superteams was already hard under the old CBA. Those teams tend to be older, expensive, and lacking in trade assets. With shorter player contracts and more superstar trade requests, contention windows were already shrinking. Rising teams stocked with young players have to look ahead now at the reality that the new CBA might one day force them to break their teams up long before they'd ever want to. Is that a good thing?

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/37910644/lowe-rival-teams-debating-miami-heat-shocking-run-nba-finals

We've made our assistant coach Dylan Murphy the new head coach of the Osceola Magic, our G league team, so in theory we've got a vacancy on the coaching staff. 

Marc Stein has said: 

" It has reached the point when I speak to various teams that it would be a legitimate leaguewide surprise now if Fred VanVleet and Dillon Brooks don’t strike verbal agreements to join the Houston Rockets by Friday night." 

Not really Magic news except that FVV is probably off the table which, I'm fine with. 

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

pass.. i don’t even think Strus is a special shooter.. Typical over achiever that thrives in a great Miami system. 

Duncan Robinson was a better shooter and i’d pass on him and his contract too. 

Also we have Harris who is a good shooter too

3 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

Did we used his skills properly in Orlando? If so, the most we obtained is elimination in the first round of playoffs with only one W in those series (when things were going for the better, before we were just a even worst team)

Maybe the problem is the player, not the environment. Gordon was traded, he adapted to the new situation and become a key player for winning it all. Vuc never changed here, great stat numbers with no def and no leadership. Don't know in CHI, but seeing their results, seem to be always the same.

Vooch if used properly, was an All Star. That was with Clifford drawing up plays and playing through him. Clifford also knew how to use Ross skill set. 

Vooch as a third option is not worth the cost.

Kinda like if Denver would put the ball in MPJ or AGs hand, and let Jokic work around. It’s just not their game.. 

Vooch needs the ball. Then he’s great.

Just now, orlandoholic said:

Vooch if used properly, was an All Star. That was with Clifford drawing up plays and playing through him. Clifford also knew how to use Ross skill set. 

Vooch as a third option is not worth the cost.

Kinda like if Denver would put the ball in MPJ or AGs hand, and let Jokic work around. It’s just not their game.. 

Vooch needs the ball. Then he’s great.

Denver don't put the ball in AG and MPJs hands because Jokic is the best player on the planet. 

Vuc isn't better than Derozan or Lavine.