Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

1 hour ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

Suggs and Fultz should be there putting work in with him on their 3s.

Guys work out on their own with their own trainers during the off-season, so I'm not worried.

With that being said, I always thought it was really cool when Jameer put on a "Team Camp" during the summers to increase team chemistry on and off the court. I hope someone brings that back.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Incredible article by Lowe on the Nuggets title run. Two paragraphs stick out for us.

”The Nuggets took lessons from that draft. One was that if they were searching for wing versatility and defense, they might do better chasing big guards who could defend up one position instead of bigs who might be able to shift down. Watching the Suns' spread pick-and-roll lay waste to their defense in the second round in 2021 convinced the Nuggets they needed guards skilled at chasing ball handlers around screens. If they could stick closer to ball handlers on the pick-and-roll, Jokic would not be left on an island. Tighter point-of-attack defense might open up schematic versatility -- including at least dabbling in conservative drop-back defenses...

The Nuggets have also doubled down on shooting, investing in Noah Shooting System shot-tracking technology; hiring the shooting coach Mike Penberthy; and tracking every player's shooting in practices. (They even have a competition -- the Nuggets 100 -- over who can make the most 3s in 100 attempts.) Penberthy marked Booth's first hire onto Malone's staff, and he was not fully integrated into the team this season, sources said; Penberthy often worked with select players in evening sessions.“

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/37844891/lowe-seven-year-journey-construct-2023-nba-champion-denver-nuggets

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Incredible article by Lowe on the Nuggets title run. Two paragraphs stick out for us.

”The Nuggets took lessons from that draft. One was that if they were searching for wing versatility and defense, they might do better chasing big guards who could defend up one position instead of bigs who might be able to shift down. Watching the Suns' spread pick-and-roll lay waste to their defense in the second round in 2021 convinced the Nuggets they needed guards skilled at chasing ball handlers around screens. If they could stick closer to ball handlers on the pick-and-roll, Jokic would not be left on an island. Tighter point-of-attack defense might open up schematic versatility -- including at least dabbling in conservative drop-back defenses...

The Nuggets have also doubled down on shooting, investing in Noah Shooting System shot-tracking technology; hiring the shooting coach Mike Penberthy; and tracking every player's shooting in practices. (They even have a competition -- the Nuggets 100 -- over who can make the most 3s in 100 attempts.) Penberthy marked Booth's first hire onto Malone's staff, and he was not fully integrated into the team this season, sources said; Penberthy often worked with select players in evening sessions.“

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/37844891/lowe-seven-year-journey-construct-2023-nba-champion-denver-nuggets

I genuinely, honestly, believe Lowe might end up writing something similar about our franchise a few years from now.

I think he's got a mixed rep among Magic fans but I think Jeff Weltman is super smart and super detail oriented, he needs to finish the job obviously, nobody writes these articles about young promising teams that don't win anything but the use of STATS AI tracking data for evaluate draft picks I think has really changed his draft philosophy. The last 3 years we've really moved away from what was becoming the meme of "long boy". Plus you can guarantee that the new training center is going to be cutting edge when it comes to tech. 

• Upvote 1

Again, I love your optimism, but I don't see any of those little smart movements and decisions with our FO, both with staff and players, but maybe they're keeping it secret (like they always do pre-draft) :P

There was a great shooting coach available a few months ago, and we didn't make a move like Denver did with Penberthy. Our coach is already great? Our staff already the best? I hope so.

56 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

Again, I love your optimism, but I don't see any of those little smart movements and decisions with our FO, both with staff and players, but maybe they're keeping it secret (like they always do pre-draft) :P

There was a great shooting coach available a few months ago, and we didn't make a move like Denver did with Penberthy. Our coach is already great? Our staff already the best? I hope so.

Just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean it's not happening. Teams don't broadcast implementing new technologies because those technologies are competitive advantages over other teams and to broadcast that would be asinine. 

We only know that the Magic were the first team in the NBA to implement AI driven college player tracking software (something which they originally signed an exclusive deal for with STATS but It's unclear whether that exclusivity was also extended when we extended the agreement in 2021) because the company itself announced it for publicity and it was featured in a couple of business journals like Forbes. 

EDIT: on the coaching staff specifically. They only assembled the staff 2 summers ago and they've had no leavers to account for as far as I'm aware. Stands to reason they've not hired any new coaches in the mean time because presumably if they wanted a coach to do a specific thing they already hired for that first time around.

• Upvote 1

Huh, I didn't know that one of our assistant coaches was also a German national team assistant coach. 

I bet that's not by accident. 

1 minute ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Ai player tracking software. Doesn’t sound Orwellian at all. 

I’ll taken humans over Ai for 500, Alex. 

Humans can't compile every action on the court into data to be analysed. 

Nobody is replacing human scouting it's just an extra tool. 

14 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

Guys work out on their own with their own trainers during the off-season, so I'm not worried.

With that being said, I always thought it was really cool when Jameer put on a "Team Camp" during the summers to increase team chemistry on and off the court. I hope someone brings that back.

i don’t question team chemistry one bit!! This team loves eachother, supporting themselves throughout the squad. 

But yeah it would be cool if they came together and did some work. But just because it’s not in the media it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen!

That said, i’d be stoked if they would team up at those Rico Hines sessions like the Clippers and Raptors did. in the past

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Huh, I didn't know that one of our assistant coaches was also a German national team assistant coach. 

I bet that's not by accident. 

who is that? i didn’t know either 

12 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

who is that? i didn’t know either 

Bret Brielmaier, he got the job after his job here which suggests we as organization basically insisted we keep a close eye on Franz.