Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

3 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Supply = Demand. 

Someone paid 4 firsts for KD and a similar package for Rudy Gobert. If someone wasn't willing to, the market would come down... but someone always is (and then inevitably gets fired 3 seasons later).

New luxury tax rules will change all of this and will help small market teams like us. 

I don’t know man, I expect the market to adjust hard because right now both the KD and Rudy trades look like some of the worst deals of all time

I'd also like to point out that 1st round picks aren't worth a lot if they're consistently in the 18-30 range. It's cheap labor, but if you think your roster is a contender for the next 4 years, you can trade 1st round picks at the sake of cheap backup labor for a star. 

I think you can argue we're a good young SG away from consistent playoffs (albeit maybe a 1st round exit to begin). I would even argue you could trade #6, one of our young nonessential assets (Cole/Suggs), and two future 1sts for a star and I think you can get someone like Jalen Brown and we're instantly picking in the 15+ range for the next two seasons. 

Just now, All Eyes On Me said:

I don’t know man, I expect the market to adjust hard because right now both the KD and Rudy trades look like some of the worst deals of all time

It will correct if no one pays. That's the only way it corrects. I too think that we're going to begin going away from the hefty price at the sake of gutting an entire roster

51 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I would even argue you could trade #6, one of our young nonessential assets (Cole/Suggs), and two future 1sts for a star and I think you can get someone like Jalen Brown and we're instantly picking in the 15+ range for the next two seasons. 

This is a more realistic assessment of about what it would cost the Magic to get Brown in a trade as of about a month ago: NBA Rumors: Magic Land Celtics' Jaylen Brown In This Trade (nbaanalysis.net)

7 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

He was, at best, the third best player on a team that won less games than us. Scoring points =/= being a star.

We all watched 6 seasons of Evan Fournier right? 

Simons is truly better than Fournier in every aspect!! 
we really have different opinion about Simons and the value of 6th and 11th pick in this years draft, which is fine. 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/simonan01.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/fournev01.html

at no point of his career, Fournier averaged 20ppg in a season.. Simons is averaging 21.1 ppg at 23. That’s with Lilliard dominating most of the touches. Simons is imo the second best shooter on contested shots in the NBA (only behind Steph Curry). That’s just my eye test though. lol

49 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

we really have different opinion about Simons and the value of 6th and 11th pick in this years draft, which is fine. 

at no point of his career, Fournier averaged 20ppg in a season.. Simons is averaging 21.1 ppg at 23. That’s with Lilliard dominating most of the touches. Simons is imo the second best shooter on contested shots in the NBA (only behind Steph Curry). That’s just my eye test though. lol

If Simons was even half decent on D I'd be very much in favor of getting him. Because he's not, we are much better off taking 3 shots at shooters through this draft. I'm also hoping that Fultz, Paulo, and Suggs are all working hard on their 3s in the off season.

2 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

If Simons was even half decent on D I'd be very much in favor of getting him. Because he's not, we are much better off taking 3 shots at shooters through this draft. I'm also hoping that Fultz, Paulo, and Suggs are all working hard on their 3s in the off season.

that’s a fair argument to make.. Simons is indeed a bad defender.. Imo the tough shot making, the intangibles he brings, willingness to improve and perfect age for this locker room outweighs the defense liability.. 

Simons is a guy you’d swing for in hope he elevates this team to the next level.

if we swing for this draft, the players that we are able to get will need time and will make our bench unit significantly better, but it’ll take time to develop. Best case would be Whitmore and Dick or Bufkin imo. Also in this case there is an argument to make that we could package Harris, Bol Bol, Okeke, Maybe Cole in a trade and/or sign somebody like Cam Johnson in FA.. 

Good thing is that we have so many options. It’s a nice problem to have. We have definitely been in worse situation in the past!!

3 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

Again, scoring points =/= being a star.

Simons isnt even the best shooter on contested shots on his own team. 

I can't really see the argument that Simons is better than anyone we can pick at 6. The 8th pick in the 2021 NBA draft got us a better player than him. 

1 minute ago, orlandoholic said:

that’s a fair argument to make.. Simons is indeed a bad defender.. Imo the tough shot making, the intangibles he brings, willingness to improve and perfect age for this locker room outweighs the defense liability.. 

Simons is a guy you’d swing for in hope he elevates this team to the next level.

if we swing for this draft, the players that we are able to get will need time and will make our bench unit significantly better, but it’ll take time to develop. Best case would be Whitmore and Dick or Bufkin imo. Also in this case there is an argument to make that we could package Harris, Bol Bol, Okeke, Maybe Cole in a trade and/or sign somebody like Cam Johnson in FA.. 

Good thing is that we have so many options. It’s a nice problem to have. We have definitely been in worse situation in the past!!

It's ok if our draft picks take time. We have the time. Paolo Banchero is 20. Franz Wagner is 21. Our two best players are 5+ years away from their primes. 

Hollinger released his top 20. Some shockers here:

1. Victor 

2. Scoot

3. Whitmore 

4. Miller

5. Black

6-7. Twins

10. Bufkin 

13. Wallace

According to Hollinger, Whitmore is nearly two years younger than Miller even though both are “freshmen.” Moreover, Wallace has a significant back injury causing scouts concern.

13 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Hollinger released his top 20. Some shockers here:

1. Victor 

2. Scoot

3. Whitmore 

4. Miller

5. Black

6-7. Twins

10. Bufkin 

13. Wallace

According to Hollinger, Whitmore is nearly two years younger than Miller even though both are “freshmen.” Moreover, Wallace has a significant back injury causing scouts concern.

Presuming 8 and 9 are Walker and Hendricks? 

Who's 11 and 12? 

Starting to think Cam might be the guy for us if he's on the board also. Have a feeling he might be Detroit's man though.