Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

2 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

Has Jeff Weltman ever publicly commented on a prospect pre-draft? I genuinely can't remember.

Cody Taylor: Jeff Weltman on the Magic: “One thing I feel very strongly about: We’re becoming a destination. I think a lot of players want to be here and a lot of agents like what we’re doing.”

Orlando has options y’all. But we knew this before. It’s going to be really interesting if we will be aggressive in this draft and move up or facilitate in a trade.. This weak could be exciting af.. 

13 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Has Jeff Weltman ever publicly commented on a prospect pre-draft? I genuinely can't remember.

i don’t remember but would say no.. We never get any type of information.. Shoot we managed to flip flop around and make it seem we are drafting somebody else with the first pick.. 

4 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

Cody Taylor: Jeff Weltman on the Magic: “One thing I feel very strongly about: We’re becoming a destination. I think a lot of players want to be here and a lot of agents like what we’re doing.”

Orlando has options y’all. But we knew this before. It’s going to be really interesting if we will be aggressive in this draft and move up or facilitate in a trade.. This weak could be exciting af.. 

Gradey Dick watched one Magic game, saw Paolo in the paint with 4 defenders swarming him multiple times, realised how many open jumpers he could shoot here and immediately called his agent lol 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10079067-2023-nba-draft-intel-the-ongoing-mystery-at-no-2-latest-rocketsharden-buzz

Some interesting stuff in here: 

Feeling is Rockets are either Amen or Cam Whitmore at 4.

More Dereck Lively top 10 rumours, mentioned us as a team who like him. 

Ant Black apparently won't make it past #8 to Washington 

Bufkin apparently won't make it past #13 to Toronto

If Gradey Dick is off the board early some teams believe we'll reach for Jordan Hawkins at #11. 

37 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

If we’re talking hypothetical Pels trades and who’d fit best with our core, give me Brandon Ingram all day. He’d be the best individual scorer we’ve had since TMac

Would much rather have Ingram than Zion who is a great athlete but can't stay healthy and has a questionable work ethic / leadership capacity. 

Zion I think in the end will be an Andrew Wiggins player - he'll never be THE guy, but could be a great #2 or #3 scoring option on a good team. 

6. Orlando Magic

Ausar Thompson
Overtime Elite
PG/SG

This Magic pick represents a key pivot point in the lottery with them weighing a wide range of candidates. While Ausar Thompson may hear his name called a couple picks after his twin brother, some teams prefer his scoring aggressiveness, defensive mindset and his comfort level without the ball. This is a difficult spot for Orlando, with none of the options a perfect fit alongside franchise players Paolo Banchero and Franz Wagner. The Magic could be justified in simply taking the biggest upside swing available here, then making a safer choice at No. 11. If Orlando goes a different direction, Thompson isn't expected to fall much further, as he's thought to be strongly in play for Indiana and Washington, as well. -- Woo

11. Orlando Magic (via Chicago)

Gradey Dick
Kansas
SG/SF

Dick's draft range appears to be a little wider than initially anticipated, as he'll be conducting workouts with Orlando for this slot, as well as Oklahoma City (No. 12) and Toronto (No. 13). The pre-draft process, which mostly revolves around one-on-zero workouts in Dick's case, doesn't necessarily capture his strengths: confidence, competitiveness and feel for the game, which are difficult to measure in drills. Nonetheless, getting a shooter of Dick's caliber would be a significant boon for the Magic, who have plenty of opportunity on the wing and need to add as much floor spacing as they can to amplify the strengths of franchise stalwarts Banchero and Wagner. Should Dick slide past Orlando, Toronto is believed to be a strong suitor. -- Givony

Givony just updated this AM

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

After last year, I am convinced nothing that comes out of a good Gm's office is unintentional. There's equal chance this is real and equal chance they don't actually like him but want to worry any team behind them who loves him and might want to trade up. 

3. Orlando Magic

The Rockets have to mull fit vs. need. The Magic are in a somewhat different position: they don't exactly have needs in the traditional sense. That is not to suggest that Magic have stars in every slot, but take a look up and down their roster. We can safely call the power forward position (Paolo Banchero) and small forward position (Franz Wagner) locked up for the foreseeable future. Wendell Carter Jr. has likely done enough to lock up the center slot as well, especially on a value contract.

Conventional wisdom would therefore dictate that the Magic lean toward guards... except they have three former top-15 picks all under the age of 26. Markelle Fultz, Cole Anthony and Jalen Suggs are all flawed players that bring different things to the table, but minutes are already limited in Orlando's backcourt and none of those players should be given up on. The Magic have been linked to veteran guards like Fred VanVleet, but that would at least give them a chance to take a step forward this season. Adding another young guard to the mix would only complicate the development of everyone else that is already in place.

The Magic could solve this with a trade or two, but remember, Orlando has two picks in the lottery: No. 6 and No. 11. With no distinct needs aside from shooting as a whole, predicting who they will take is almost impossible. This is also the team that fooled the entire basketball media into believing it would take Jabari Smith No. 1 overall last season before ultimately landing on Banchero. The Magic could do practically anything with its two picks, and their decisions are going to impact every other team in the lottery.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/five-most-intriguing-teams-of-2023-nba-draft-blazers-rockets-stand-out-in-crowded-field/
CBS forecasting Magic drama lol love it 

• Like 1