Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

50 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

i love WCJ, but that deal is just too good not to do that.. 

In this scenario, we absolutely bring back Vooch and play him a couple of years and next year we draft another center. 

Or with the second round pick we take a swing on a player like Tracy Jackson Davis, Bona, Nnaji,  

We already know Vuc’s play doesn’t win in the playoffs. Defense would also be taking a step back with Simons playing major minutes. They would have to be some other plan to fill that spot.

I think I would be excited if a deal like this was made because it is a kind of push your chips in move, but there would need to be some other things done as well

1 hour ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Simons definitely brings something we lack but idk if I would like him on the team more than WCJ. Would leave quite the gaping hole at 5, too

Portland wants to get rid of Simons so I think they would like this deal. We could probably trade Cole and 36 for a servicable center or just draft one at 36. I like WCJ a lot and his contract is great... but if Scoot is available we have to do this trade. Hopefully Simons can learn to play D. That being said we will still need a rim protecting center to make up for the weaker guard defense. I wonder how Goga would be with starter minutes?

I don't really get why we'd push our chips in now. We're not even close to winning a championship. We're not really even close to the point where we're about to lose all flexibility. We're 2 years out from the point where Paolo/Franz are in max contract territory. Why make a win now move (this specific trade in my opinion makes us actually worse but my point can be applied to a multitude of possible trades) when it'll ultimately be the difference between 42 and 45 wins. 

1 hour ago, orlandoholic said:

i love WCJ, but that deal is just too good not to do that.. 

In this scenario, we absolutely bring back Vooch and play him a couple of years and next year we draft another center. 

Or with the second round pick we take a swing on a player like Tracy Jackson Davis, Bona, Nnaji,  

3 minutes ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

Portland wants to get rid of Simons so I think they would like this deal. We could probably trade Cole and 36 for a servicable center or just draft one at 36. I like WCJ a lot and his contract is great... but if Scoot is available we have to do this trade.

There's virtually no world where we pick someone at 36 and they're immediately impactful enough to be a serviceable replacement for WCJ. 

26 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

There's virtually no world where we pick someone at 36 and they're immediately impactful enough to be a serviceable replacement for WCJ. 

Hopefully JI, Goga, and Mo can platoon the center position while we bring someone along.

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Center is not the most important position in the NBA. if we do this trade and also land Scoot, the points and playmaking is coming from wing players. 

Scoot, Simons, Franz, Paolo, is a legit core to build around. then we’d still have Suggs, Cole , Houstan, Okeke, Isaac on the bench.. 

Bringing in Vooch would be nice, but the other options on the market are enticing too.. 

looks like we’d still have money to either absorb a player in a trade scenario. (include Fultz in a deal too!)

or add one of players like C. Wood, Tillmann, Hayes, Naz Reid as a short term solution and add a second round center as a backup …

Its just short term solutions till we get our guy next year or so. 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I don't really get why we'd push our chips in now. We're not even close to winning a championship. We're not really even close to the point where we're about to lose all flexibility. We're 2 years out from the point where Paolo/Franz are in max contract territory. Why make a win now move (this specific trade in my opinion makes us actually worse but my point can be applied to a multitude of possible trades) when it'll ultimately be the difference between 42 and 45 wins. 

It definitely makes the team worse. I don’t know that it is really a win now move but more a win more a bit later move?

13 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

It definitely makes the team worse. I don’t know that it is really a win now move but more a win more a bit later move?

Yea you're right obviously the hope is whoever you pick at 3 develops into a star also and makes the trade worthwhile. I was being a bit down on it to make my general point which is unfair. 

25 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yea you're right obviously the hope is whoever you pick at 3 develops into a star also and makes the trade worthwhile. I was being a bit down on it to make my general point which is unfair. 

this trade only makes sense if we do it when POR is on the clock and we know we can get Scoot..  probably wouldnt do it for Miller and Simons

2 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

Hopefully JI, Goga, and Mo can platoon the center position while we bring someone along.

We don’t know if JI can play 40 games/season and a center rotation of Goga and Moe (while I don’t mind either off the bench) is terrible lol. 

I’m a little bit amused that as often as this forum overrates our own players, it seems that we are now underrating just how good WCJ really is. He just finished averaging 15.2 points, 8.7 rebounds, 2.3 assists per game with 59% fg shooting; all at the age of 24. Oh yeah, 35.6% on 3-pt shooting too.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I’m a little bit amused that as often as this forum overrates our own players, it seems that we are now underrating just how good WCJ really is. He just finished averaging 15.2 points, 8.7 rebounds, 2.3 assists per game with 59% fg shooting; all at the age of 24. Oh yeah, 35.6% on 3-pt shooting too.

I wouldn't trade WCJ for Simons straight up, but with our picks to get him and Scoot I'm all in. I have faith that management can get us a starting center via trade.