Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

1 minute ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

No more drafting injured players!!! There are at least that bare notb injured,  let's draft THEM!

It's pick 36. It will either get traded or be used on someone who likely won't work out. If he wasn't injured he'd probably be a first round pick - and he might still be a first round pick anyway. It'd be a value play. 

On 4/26/2023 at 9:57 AM, hootie249 said:

This guy has some good observations on every first round player. There are dozens of these videos but this one is a good primer if you don't know much about these players yet.

Watched this well put and well said video analysis....as I've watched others.

Right now all should be set in stone....first 3 picks: Wemby, Scoot and Amen.

If we get super lucky and get one of them, it means that a major transformation of the team should happen. Markelle and Wendell are prospects to be traded.

We have 2 firsts, my favorite players to be picked, any 2 of these 4 are: Cam Whitmore, GG Jackson, Anthony Black and Keyonte George. Any combination from these 4 will help make this team hard to beat. 

I pass on Ausar Thompson, Gradey and Brandon Miller.

Getting "these" new 2 players, means that a medium transformation of the team should happen. Chuma, JI, Cole are prospects to be traded.

Next years teams, I think, will push Dwight's team down.....next years teams will be the Magic's 2nd best team of all time. Shaq's and Penny's teams still, #1.

10 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Bona has a bad injury that might keep him out for some of the season it seems... Shoulder surgery I think. If he's on the board at 36 he'd be great to draft and "stash" (let him recover from injury). I think he's a first round talent, would be an ideal backup 5 for us. Could easily develop into a starting caliber player. 

EDIT: just read he'll likely be back by October so possible the injury won't play a factor in his draft stock. 

I hope we draft him, I really do. Can run like JI used to run, can probably become the defender that JI was at his peak and can play the C position and mix it up with our bigs.

On 5/1/2023 at 10:23 AM, Albert Lergier said:

Watched this well put and well said video analysis....as I've watched others.

Right now all should be set in stone....first 3 picks: Wemby, Scoot and Amen.

If we get super lucky and get one of them, it means that a major transformation of the team should happen. Markelle and Wendell are prospects to be traded.

We have 2 firsts, my favorite players to be picked, any 2 of these 4 are: Cam Whitmore, GG Jackson, Anthony Black and Keyonte George. Any combination from these 4 will help make this team hard to beat. 

I pass on Ausar Thompson, Gradey and Brandon Miller.

Getting "these" new 2 players, means that a medium transformation of the team should happen. Chuma, JI, Cole are prospects to be traded.

Next years teams, I think, will push Dwight's team down.....next years teams will be the Magic's 2nd best team of all time. Shaq's and Penny's teams still, #1.

I dont think you pass on Gradey Dick. I wish he had at least 2 seasons of college for history, but his 1st year stats matchup more favorably against JJ Redick and that man ended up career 41.5% 3ptshooter - 19th all time behind some of the best shooters to ever play the game, 12th if you take out people who made less then 600 through their career, and of the 20 other players who have made more 3's then him only Klay, Korver and Curry boast a better percentage ~1.4% difference.

All this to say i think gradey will be a phenomenal shooter and that is what he have avoided drafting the last 10 years.

• Upvote 1

The problem with Dick is he could be that tweener guy. It's on the team seeing what he has during his workouts. If it was just about shooting the guy from Santa Clara would be top ten, especially after Jalen Williams did so well this year. Branden Podziemski is the name. Or National champion Jordon Hawkins. Dick is bigger and stronger but is he quick enough to guard 2's or strong enough to guard 3's?

Also from the other post who is GG Jackson? Has to be a mistake right?

16 hours ago, Natesroom said:

I dont think you pass on Gradey Dick. I wish he had at least 2 seasons of college for history, but his 1st year stats matchup more favorably against JJ Redick and that man ended up career 41.5% 3ptshooter - 19th all time behind some of the best shooters to ever play the game, 12th if you take out people who made less then 600 through their career, and of the 20 other players who have made more 3's then him only Klay, Korver and Curry boast a better percentage ~1.4% difference.

All this to say i think gradey will be a phenomenal shooter and that is what he have avoided drafting the last 10 years.

It's one thing if our front office doesn't have the chance to draft him with the Bulls pick, but if we PASS on him I'll punch some air

19 hours ago, Natesroom said:

Would not surprised me if the FO picks Gradey....if they do I think it has to be with their 1st, doubt he'll be there at 11.

And that is the real Q....is he the best player available at pick 6 or not?

He is a great shooter for sure, with great length. 

18 hours ago, hootie249 said:

The problem with Dick is he could be that tweener guy. It's on the team seeing what he has during his workouts. If it was just about shooting the guy from Santa Clara would be top ten, especially after Jalen Williams did so well this year. Branden Podziemski is the name. Or National champion Jordon Hawkins. Dick is bigger and stronger but is he quick enough to guard 2's or strong enough to guard 3's?

Also from the other post who is GG Jackson? Has to be a mistake right?

He could be a hidden gem.....if he is there when it's time to pick @ 11 he might be our pick.

Five-star GG Jackson reclassifies, commits to South Carolina after decommitting from UNC....this from an old article date July 2022, yes.

At 6-foot-9 and 210 pounds, Jackson is ranked as the No. 1 power forward and No. 2 overall prospect for the Class of 2023 behind Camden, New Jersey, guard D.J. Wagner in the 247Sports Composite. Jackson is the highest-ranked recruit in program history.

And he will be only 18 1/2 years old when drafted in May....unbelievable.

If we come out of this draft with Gradey Dick at 6 and GG Jackson at 11 I'll lose a lot of faith in this front office. That'd be genuinely atrocious. 

On 4/20/2023 at 3:42 PM, CTMagicUK said:

Screw it here's an honest attempt at a Top however many players I can think of, not taking fit on this team into account.  

1. Wemby

2. Scoot

3. Amen Thompson

4. Aussar Thompson

5. Brandon Miller 

6. Cam Whitmore

7. Anthony Black

8. Taylor Hendricks

9. Jarace Walker

10. Keyonte George

11. Nick Smith Jr. 

12. Cason Wallace

13. Kobe Bufkin 

14. Gradey Dick

15.  Jett Howard

16. Jordan Hawkins 

17. Rayan Rupert 

18. Leonard Miller

19. Brice Sensabaugh 

20. Derek Lively 

21. Jalen Hood-Schifino 

22. Cidy Sissoko

23. Adem Bona

24.Trayce Jackson-Davis

25. Maxwell Lewis

26. Julian Strawther

27. GG Jackson

28. Dariq Whitehead

29. Kris Murray

30. Terquavion Smith

I'm starting to struggle so I'll stop there. I think for me 1, 2 and 3 feel pretty set then the rest are in little groups that feel like they could change pretty easily even on just how I feel that day: 4-6, 7-9. 10-16 and 17-20.  Derek Lively kind of confuses me because I kept thinking about him at every point from like 13 onwards but I just kept erring on the side of guards/wings/forwards over him who's an out and out 5. 

You know this is not a bad draft to have 2 lottery picks in. It's not like LOADED with stars but there's a lot of potential there. Like I'd be genuinely surprised if none (or even only one) of those guys in the 10-20 group go on to become a star. 

I'm lower on Miller than most but that's not for any particular reason other than I'm just high on the Thompsons (though I concede they're definitely the most high risk guys in the top 10). 

Hopefully I didn't forget anyone obvious.

Updated to 30. But to be honest 21-30 is one big tier that I don't feel particularly confident in the order of and there are probably like 5-10 more guys you could put in that group. I have mad respect for NBA front offices who have to actually make these decisions.