CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

6 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Hahaha. I think you’ve made your point.

I can't believe anybody can look at Chet and see a durable NBA player. I'm sure he'll be great, but I can't buck the feeling that he'll be JI 2.0 as far as injuries.

Wing/perimeter players dominate the league …and they will in the Finals …guys that can shoot, beat people off the dribble and create for others …we got the number 1 pick in this draft …currently we don’t have anybody on this roster that can do that …at least we don’t on a high level …somehow we gotta parlay the advantages of getting the top pick into getting us our wing/perimeter guy 

Get ready for the recency bias of Tatum leading a team to the Finals somehow meaning Jabari is the correct pick. 

Or maybe Paolo if you go with the "big, not that efficient, creator from Duke".

2 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Wing/perimeter players dominate the league …and they will in the Finals …guys that can shoot, beat people off the dribble and create for others …we got the number 1 pick in this draft …currently we don’t have anybody on this roster that can do that …at least we don’t on a high level …somehow we gotta parlay the advantages of getting the top pick into getting us our wing/perimeter guy 

There are levels to this though. Not every wing player who can score off the dribble can be a superstar or will be a superstar. Some of them are going to be Jordan Clarkson, TJ Warren or Dillon Brooks, or Andrew Wiggins  (yes he's having a career renaissance but he still wasn't what people wanted him to be). 

Regardless if you think passing, shooting, scoring off the dribble is most important Paolo is right there. He's going to do all that (I buy the jumper being good enough personally) and he's 6'10 250. 

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Get ready for the recency bias of Tatum leading a team to the Finals somehow meaning Jabari is the correct pick. 

Jabari is the pick under this scenario. With his defense versatility he has the potential to be a superstar over any of the other players in this draft. 

• Upvote 1

No player currently projected in the draft's top three is as smooth with the ball in his hands as Sharpe. In a league that covets perimeter shot-creators more than ever, the 18-year-old Sharpe offers an element that Holmgren and Smith don't -- the ability to make pull-up 3s with range, create space out of isolations, and get all the way to the rim for explosive finishes. Smith does two out of the three but hasn't quite shown the ability to break down his man for consistent paint touches and rim attacks. We're still learning more about Holmgren as a primary creator. Banchero is a tremendous ball handler and creator at 6-10, 255 pounds, but Sharpe -- while playing a much different position -- is an even better shooter from beyond the arc with the ability to get his shot out of a variety of different moves.

From Givony …and it’s just his opinion …but he certainly does this for a living unlike all of us .

2 things: He brings up the point I made earlier about a league that covets perimeter shot creators more than ever now …going by what Givony says here Banchero would be 2nd and Smith 3rd.

Most people here would love Sharpe I think …but they say we can’t take him at 1, not enough film/data…I say why not …and I’m sure Weltham would if they like him …I’m holding out hope when Sharpe gets his workout he will blow their draws off lol …am anticipating they will make public what his vertical is …don’t know if anybody has noticed on the HS vids I post …but his length could create headaches for opponents defensively and he’s got the athleticism to be an above average defender 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I don’t see the Tatum bias/comp for Smith. Perhaps a bigger Klay Thompson in a 3/4 role :)?

• Like 1

And so it should come at no surprise that, at 6-foot-10 and with a 7-1 wingspan, Smith's shooting is the selling point here at No. 1. He rated in the 94th percentile among all college players as a freshman in spot-up shooting situations, according to Synergy Sports data. In catch-and-shoot situations, he was in the 84th percentile. His shooting accuracy and consistency helped him become just the second 6-10 (or taller) college player ever — joining Kevin Durant (hello!) — to make at least 100 free throws and 60 3-pointers in a single season. (Smith finished with 131 made free throws and 79 made 3-pointers. Durant at Texas in 2006-07 finished with 209 and 82, respectively…)

Depending on how Oklahoma City and Houston rate Jaden Ivey, there are scenarios in which Holmgren or Banchero could be drafted as high as No. 1 or wait until No. 4. With Smith, he's not falling below third. His window to be selected is the smallest of any prospect in the class, and as of this publishing, he's perceived as the most likely guy to be first off the board.“

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2022-nba-draft-why-paolo-banchero-chet-homgren-and-jabari-smith-all-have-a-case-to-be-the-no-1-pick/amp/

18 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I don’t see the Tatum bias/comp for Smith. Perhaps a bigger Klay Thompson in a 3/4 role :)?

6'10 Klay Thompson might be a decent ceiling comp. But Klay Thompson is only Klay Thompson because he's a top 5 shooter of all time. 

27 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

6'10 Klay Thompson might be a decent ceiling comp. But Klay Thompson is only Klay Thompson because he's a top 5 shooter of all time. 

I think it's a really strong comp the more I consider it. Look at Klay's college stats, especially his freshman year. Smith is considered a deadly shooter and one of the best (if not the best) perimeter defender in the draft... just at 6'10''. That said, I've convinced myself I'll be okay with four guys in this draft.