CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

As I’ve said a few times, I’m a Smith fan. 

But if I had to bet who is the top scoring rookie,  it would be Paolo. Because of that, Paolo probably wins ROY. 

However, I personally feel Smith will result more in wins longterm, while still having tremendous upside. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

Hollinger released his rankings and has Smith at #2.

”So what’s the case for Smith? Let’s start with his jumper, which is just smooth as butter. Smith might have the best shooting form of any prospect I’ve evaluated since Michael Porter Jr. launching perfect parabolas toward the rim and having the footwork to get into this stroke during live play. At a legit 6-10, Smith can rise over anybody and launch, providing something of an offensive cheat code that should set up the rest of his game as he develops…

Smith can slide his feet like a guard, plus his length allows him to play a half step farther off dribblers and cut off any driving angles. He sometimes gives a little too much cushion and will need to play closer in the pros, but his switchability at the pro level seems rock solid. He also rarely gets faked off his feet, a bugaboo for a lot of bigs who otherwise can hold up on switches. Quick, hard changes of direction occasionally leave him a step behind, but he also has the “catch-up” ability to get back in the play and block shots from behind…

With a May 2003 birthdate, Smith is six months younger than Banchero and a full year younger than Holmgren. He’s physically young too, as he’s still pretty clearly growing into his body. In a draft without a surefire future All-Star, he seems the one most likely to earn that honor.“

https://theathletic.com/3317217/2022/05/18/nba-draft-2022-top-20-prospects/?redirected=1

Watching video analysis of Jabari.....offensively, he is KD (projects to be stronger), period. Defensively, very good anywhere on the court, versus wings or bigs.

Jabari (19), Franz (21), Suggs (21), NOT SINCE  Shaq (21), Penny (22), Dennis / Nick (both 25) the Magic have had a trio of this caliber. 

Not next season as it is the transitional year for them as it was for Shaq and Penny on their first year together, the future years of the Magic are going to be awesome.

15 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

You are so right my friend, and with that cap space, not this summer but next one, we will see good free agents wanting to join the Magic !!!!!!

And by the way, that cap space is in part from the Gary Harris expired contract.....which should yield 2 free agents, RJ and a future first rounder in the summer of 25. All of this for AG.....another great trade by this FO.

Chet is too much of a risk, but hey if the Magic draft him i get it. I like Jabari simply because i know they can use him. Not sure if that guy is ever a superstar, but how can a guy who moves and shoots like him fail? At 6 foot 10? 

It's funny how we ignore  that Paolo is even more of an x-factor. I mean, Chet at the very least looks like he can do what Isaac did and then some. Jabari has got a shooters stroke in a super tall body, and is a good one on one defender!

Paolo looks like a kid who can come in and average a double double, if he wanted to. Built to score with post moves and has a jumper. Doesn't do any of the little things, except one big thing, he can pass!

Why wouldn't you want that? Mostly because he doesn't play defense and is not as athletic as the top picks. 

Hey, wanna know two big men who can pass and looked far from athletic before the draft? Luka and Jokic.

Just saying.

6 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Chet is too much of a risk, but hey if the Magic draft him i get it. I like Jabari simply because i know they can use him. Not sure if that guy is ever a superstar, but how can a guy who moves and shoots like him fail? At 6 foot 10? 

It's funny how we ignore  that Paolo is even more of an x-factor. I mean, Chet at the very least looks like he can do what Isaac did and then some. Jabari has got a shooters stroke in a super tall body, and is a good one on one defender!

Paolo looks like a kid who can come in and average a double double, if he wanted to. Built to score with post moves and has a jumper. Doesn't do any of the little things, except one big thing, he can pass!

Why wouldn't you want that? Mostly because he doesn't play defense and is not as athletic as the top picks. 

Hey, wanna know two big men who can pass and looked far from athletic before the draft? Luka and Jokic.

Just saying.

Based on Chet's height and weight this is his comparable: Aleksej Pokuševski

Career stats

Year
Team
GP
Min
Pts
FG%
3pt%
Reb
Ast
Stl
Blk

Career

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

I was given a great comparison today I think for Chet. 

Ralph Sampson. 

Tall, lanky unicorn. He was 7’4” but only 220 lbs, but could shoot, pass, block… the guy was the best player in college basketball in the early 1980’s. He was even a 4 time All-Star in his first 4 years in the league. 

But what happened? A consistent series of injuries starting in his 5th year left him unable to take the court consistently because his lanky body and knees couldn’t handle the NBA grind. 

While not as high of a ceiling, I think this is perhaps a fair body and perhaps even game comparison. 

I actually can't believe my Ralph Sampson comparison didn't get more notice here. My assumption is that most here (including myself) are too young to remember Ralph Sampson playing, but it feels like a good comparison for a number of reasons.