CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

On 6/24/2022 at 9:31 AM, ball junkie said:

It took me awhile but I had to go all the way to page 76 to find the one guy championing Banchero …I posted a few times he was more what we need but the national media and everybody on this board seemed to have no interest ….Great call LaVar .

Secondly …I think and I posted this …Smith and Isaac are too similar …one is better defensively, the other offensively …but neither are beat you off the dribble players like Banchero.

I like the mix …and if Suggs gets in shooting doldrums again we got that kid from Michigan who is a lights out shooter .

I really, really like this mix …at least we have hope now …can’t wait too watch them grow and how this personnel meshes together .

GO MAGIC !!!

PS …Got the Magic ticket office calling me right now lol 

Thank you. I believe Paolo is the best player in the draft.

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2022 at 11:17 AM, Soul Bro said:

I want to give a personal shout out to LaVar. Guy wanted Paulo weeks ago and stood by his conviction on this front. Well done.

Thanks. I see us finally having a player  to focus the offense around. Now if players don't fit they can be moved. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, LaVar said:

Thanks. I see us finally having a player  to focus the offense around. Now if players don't fit they can be moved. 

If it pans out, the one thing we have been waiting for since Dwight, or maybe even TMac if we want to talk true 1st option

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/34203706/paolo-banchero-jabari-smith-jr-mystery-surrounded-nba-draft-no-1-pick

Great article that puts to bed a lot of those weird "Rockets told us they'd trade up and tricked us into picking Paolo" conspiracies and also clearly states that the Magic at no point ran deliberate smoke screens. They simply didn't divulge anything to the media who ran with narratives from what they were hearing from other teams.

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/34203706/paolo-banchero-jabari-smith-jr-mystery-surrounded-nba-draft-no-1-pick

Great article that puts to bed a lot of those weird "Rockets told us they'd trade up and tricked us into picking Paolo" conspiracies and also clearly states that the Magic at no point ran deliberate smoke screens. They simply didn't divulge anything to the media who ran with narratives from what they were hearing from other teams.

I don't believe we were fooled by Houston and I'd never expect for Orlando to come out and say we ran smoke screens.  You gain nothing and possibly piss teams off although everyone does it.

8 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I haven't really believed that theory at any point, but as other members already pointed out in the past, I really don't get the point of all this story (and mistery) if you've no intentions to even listen to a deal, and you've made the call of the pick in the start of the 5 minutes period, without even waiting for last minutes offer. To me, seem like time and occasion wasted... to a lesser extent, it's like when we trade the usual second round pick without even waiting to see if some player slip down, or if that pick could be useful to make a move to trade up and pick a player worth the move.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

I haven't really believed that theory at any point, but as other members already pointed out in the past, I really don't get the point of all this story (and mistery) if you've no intentions to even listen to a deal, and you've made the call of the pick in the start of the 5 minutes period, without even waiting for last minutes offer. To me, seem like time and occasion wasted... to a lesser extent, it's like when we trade the usual second round pick without even waiting to see if some player slip down, or if that pick could be useful to make a move to trade up and pick a player worth the move.

It makes sense if you start with the presumption the Magic started with the presumption Jabari, Chet and Paolo were interchangeable and wanted to judge the value of moving down. 

It makes sense if you start with the presumption the Magic started with the presumption they wanted Paolo, but wanted a chance to get him at 3.

It makes sense if you start with the presumption the Magic had no idea who they were going to draft.

It blew up in their faces.  Jabari thought he was going 1 and was clearly upset on draft night.  Paolo was so convinced he wasn't going 1 he canceled his trip to Orlando.