CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

Credit where it’s due: Paulo is having an incredible tournament. I’m still struggling with him as a prospect because of his shorter height and lack of athleticism. Who’s his comp? Randle?

AJ looks like a great shooter but is he more than Mikal Bridges? I don’t know.

Chet… I think his game will translate as a stretch four who’s a versatile defender. Honestly, a better JI. Still his body scares me. Dude is so skinny.

We need to keep our eyes on Ivey. Is he a legit stud or just a college baller?

On 3/23/2022 at 5:44 PM, fan for too long 2 said:

We know CT, you love love love long stringbeans  who can score. Last time I checked Kristaps doesn’t have any rings and just got shipped out again to another team. And Chet makes him look fat. Chet is NOT going to be a star, please stop. 

Kevin Durant?

I don't see how we can draft Chet. He is more likely to be a defensive star the first few years, if he stays healthy. So by that metric, we already have Isaac. What he does defensively is exactly like Isaac. He has Bamba length but moves better, basically Isaac. Ok, so only draft him if the Gm's think Isaac is never coming back. How can you take the same chance? And as far as his unicorn status, if he can stay on the floor he moves and handles like a guard right? I saw a little of that during the tournament, but not enough to think he is elite. Guy needs years to develop i'm guessing. Tall shooter? Already have that with Bol Bol and Wagner. But your telling me Chet will be able to stay on the floor because he is a two way player. He might stay with guards on switches but he will get destroyed by certain forwards and centers. At least at first.

No way, no how. Uh Uh. If we get first or second has to be Jabari or Paolo. They are both much less likely to bust, heck Banchero is the sure thing putting injuries aside. That guy is gonna be a 20/10 guy without a doubt in my mind. Picking 3 or later have to think about Ivey,Griffin or even Murray over Chet. 

Look, we do need a star, more then anything. However, we need productive players. If we are not number one, or even if we are but there is no Zion or Luka in this draft we just need to pick a guy who is productive. 

Look at Memphis. They got lucky to move up and draft Ja Morant. But they are 14-2 without him this season, 14-2!!!!!! It's because they drafted a bunch of guys who can shoot AND play defense. If we can't get a superstar at 1 get a good fit and maybe in a year or two a star will come to us. Don't tell me Stars won't come to Orlando, who thought a star wanted to go to Phoenix before Chris Paul went there. Chet will take years to get there. Years. Probably need 4 years just to fill out that body like Jaren Jackson Jr.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

Credit where it’s due: Paulo is having an incredible tournament. I’m still struggling with him as a prospect because of his shorter height and lack of athleticism. Who’s his comp? Randle?

AJ looks like a great shooter but is he more than Mikal Bridges? I don’t know.

Chet… I think his game will translate as a stretch four who’s a versatile defender. Honestly, a better JI. Still his body scares me. Dude is so skinny.

We need to keep our eyes on Ivey. Is he a legit stud or just a college baller?

Among other comparisons that are out there....it's a jungle out there....I saw this one. Difficult to agree 100% cause we are talking about 2 tremendous players but can and will Paolo be a tremendous player on his own way? That's our question to debate......

NBA comparison: Blake Griffin—when he was on the Detroit Pistons and more skill-oriented—is a great point of comparison for Banchero’s unique playing style. Griffin wasn’t nearly the rebounder or defender that Banchero is, but he shared his guard skills and shooting touch. If we go further back, we may find an even better comparison in Hall of Famer Chris Webber. Webber, like Banchero, was an incredible rebounder for his position, averaging nearly 10 over his career. He also displayed similar defensive capabilities, consistently averaging around or above 1.5 in both steals and blocks during his prime.

GO MAGIC !!!!!

The link below has some notes on all the potential draft picks.  I pasted the scouting report on Holmgren.  Jabari is my guy.

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/chet-holmgren/

At 7 feet tall with exceptional length he’s an agile, skinny and lanky center who dominates in the paint, is a force as a shot blocker and plays like a small forward on offense. He’s a lethal 3pt shooter with great accuracy and a nearly un-guardable shot. But it all together and he’s one of the most intriguing players in the draft who has a real shot to go no.1 overall.

Chet is very skinny but his quickness, coordination and agility are outstanding and he’s got great anticipation and reaction speed. His length and quick hands make him a really great shot blocker, even if he can get bullied in the post and moved out of the way.

He doesn’t have a frame that will add weight easily and he’ll always be a skinny big. Despite his lack of strength/weight he controls the paint on the defensive end and is a legit rim protector (maybe the best in the nation).

On the offensive side Chet shows incredible talent as a face-up scorer. He can shoot the ball from deep and also has incredible handles for a player his size and a great dribble-drive game. He’s not a powerful post player or back to the basket scorer but he’s got elite scoring ability on the wing.

Chet has an easy, effortless stroke and can also shoot off the dribble and has a beautiful pull-up 3pt shot.

His 3pt shooting ability is a natural fit for today’s NBA and could be one of his primary ways of scoring the ball at the next level. In many ways Chet is like a 7-foot small forward who also happens to be a great shot blocker. His skill-set is perimeter oriented and will likely be even more so once he gets to the NBA level.

Comparisons

• Dirk on offense
  • Marcus Camby on defense
  • = a really good player!

7 hours ago, hootie249 said:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2022/3/24/22992580/chet-holmgren-nba-draft-gonzaga-scouting-report-profile-video-stats

Just to be fair, this is one of the most complete articles for Chet as a prospect by a person who loves him. 

Gee, couldn’t tell. Skinny doesn’t even describe Chet. He looks anorexic. Seriously. 

19 hours ago, hootie249 said:

I don't see how we can draft Chet. He is more likely to be a defensive star the first few years, if he stays healthy. So by that metric, we already have Isaac. What he does defensively is exactly like Isaac. He has Bamba length but moves better, basically Isaac. Ok, so only draft him if the Gm's think Isaac is never coming back. How can you take the same chance? And as far as his unicorn status, if he can stay on the floor he moves and handles like a guard right? I saw a little of that during the tournament, but not enough to think he is elite. Guy needs years to develop i'm guessing. Tall shooter? Already have that with Bol Bol and Wagner. But your telling me Chet will be able to stay on the floor because he is a two way player. He might stay with guards on switches but he will get destroyed by certain forwards and centers. At least at first.

No way, no how. Uh Uh. If we get first or second has to be Jabari or Paolo. They are both much less likely to bust, heck Banchero is the sure thing putting injuries aside. That guy is gonna be a 20/10 guy without a doubt in my mind. Picking 3 or later have to think about Ivey,Griffin or even Murray over Chet. 

Look, we do need a star, more then anything. However, we need productive players. If we are not number one, or even if we are but there is no Zion or Luka in this draft we just need to pick a guy who is productive. 

Look at Memphis. They got lucky to move up and draft Ja Morant. But they are 14-2 without him this season, 14-2!!!!!! It's because they drafted a bunch of guys who can shoot AND play defense. If we can't get a superstar at 1 get a good fit and maybe in a year or two a star will come to us. Don't tell me Stars won't come to Orlando, who thought a star wanted to go to Phoenix before Chris Paul went there. Chet will take years to get there. Years. Probably need 4 years just to fill out that body like Jaren Jackson Jr.

Bol Bol should have literally zero influence on who we draft. Zero. Even Bamba considering we have no idea if he'll be here next season. Not drafting Chet because we have Bol Bol would be like not drafting Jaden Ivey because we have Devin Cannady. 

And at this point Isaac should have very little baring on who we draft also. Whether or not he's healthy it really doesn't matter because his contract will be up before whoever we draft finishes their rookie contract. 

This is not even me saying "we should draft Chet" it's just me saying that these arent the reasons you discount a prospect. 

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Bol Bol should have literally zero influence on who we draft. Zero. Even Bamba considering we have no idea if he'll be here next season. Not drafting Chet because we have Bol Bol would be like not drafting Jaden Ivey because we have Devin Cannady. 

And at this point Isaac should have very little baring on who we draft also. Whether or not he's healthy it really doesn't matter because his contract will be up before whoever we draft finishes their rookie contract. 

This is not even me saying "we should draft Chet" it's just me saying that these arent the reasons you discount a prospect. 

All good points, we really should be drafting the best player available, regardless of position. Trades and Free Agency are more about needs; drafting need should always be a secondary consideration if you have two players you think are equally talented.

I would take ANY of the top rated guys over Chet. We don't need another too skinny for the NBA guy to sit in recovery with Isaac, we need a guy that is ready to play! Watching the tournament I see several guys that have NBA ready bodies and can shoot the ball. Let's get 1 of those please!

15 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

I would take ANY of the top rated guys over Chet. We don't need another too skinny for the NBA guy to sit in recovery with Isaac, we need a guy that is ready to play! Watching the tournament I see several guys that have NBA ready bodies and can shoot the ball. Let's get 1 of those please!

An NBA level body who can shoot could very well end up being Danny Green. Or Tony Snell. Or Bobby Portis. All fine players, but if we picked one of them with a top 5 pick we'd have made a terrible mistake. 

At 32 or whatever it ends up being Id be more than happy with this though.