CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

7 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Oh I agree they can play together …but is either a 3 level wing scorer that are so coveted in todays NBA and that are dominating this years playoffs ?

I’m talking about the actual prospects not what I hope to see in the prospects, if that makes sense. I think all of them have flaws or unknowns to some degree or another. I’ve personally come to the point where I’d be fine with at least four guys, and history tells us every team will swing and miss on some guys. As it relates to Smith, as I said a few pages back, I see him as a bigger Klay Thompson type, who has been lethal in the playoffs: https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/6475/klay-thompson

32 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I’m talking about the actual prospects not what I hope to see in the prospects, if that makes sense. I think all of them have flaws or unknowns to some degree or another. I’ve personally come to the point where I’d be fine with at least four guys, and history tells us every team will swing and miss on some guys. As it relates to Smith, as I said a few pages back, I see him as a bigger Klay Thompson type, who has been lethal in the playoffs: https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/6475/klay-thompson

I can see the Klay comp …he’s deadly but he also get loads of open looks …of course Steph being the Alpha who commands attention from defenses …GS is amazing with their offense and creating space …based on what you saw with our offense last year you think Smith would get a lot of open looks ? Would drafting Smith improve our spacing issues ? Or do you think our issues were we just don’t have good outside shooting on the team period ? …I do think Fultz returning full time is gonna help tremendously .

But what if you could draft a 3-level scorer with the addition of Fults full time ??? …Now we’re talking stew baby !!!

As an aside …here’s a link to the Magic draft party for anyone interested …doesn’t cost anything all you do is register then show your phone upon entry …shouldn’t be a boring night that’s for sure lol

https://www.nba.com/magic/draft

• Upvote 1

"Smith the presumed favorite at No. 1; teams nervous about Holmgren

Assumptions by scouts and executives all lean toward the Orlando Magic taking Smith. Shooting and defense give him an edge over Banchero, and there is some fear from teams when it comes to the 195-pound Holmgren, who's also a year older than Smith. Scouts also expect Smith to help close the deal with the Magic during interviews and his likely visit to Orlando. After making 79 threes (42.0 percent) and 42 pull-ups (40.0 percent), per Synergy Sports, he has a case as the best shooting freshman big to ever enter a draft. And that's an obvious draw to a Magic team that finished No. 28 in three-point percentage." Per Jonathan Wasserman today

• Upvote 2

Also here's that same article on Shaedon Sharpe:

"Talent alone right now has him in the mix for lottery teams, including Detroit at No. 5. However, despite an enticing mix of bounce and shooting skills, the film shows a player who struggles to create going north-south and relies heavily on low-percentage dribble jumpers. Limited confidence in Sharpe's feel or ability to make teammates better could lead to teams feeling more comfortable with prospects like Murray, Griffin, Davis and Mathurin." 

And link because I forgot to include it in my original post

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2956515-updated-2022-nba-mock-draft-why-teams-are-nervous-about-chet-holmgren

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

"Talent alone right now has him in the mix for lottery teams, including Detroit at No. 5. However, despite an enticing mix of bounce and shooting skills, the film shows a player who struggles to create going north-south and relies heavily on low-percentage dribble jumpers. Limited confidence in Sharpe's feel or ability to make teammates better could lead to teams feeling more comfortable with prospects like Murray, Griffin, Davis and Mathurin." 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2956515-updated-2022-nba-mock-draft-why-teams-are-nervous-about-chet-holmgren

Wassermen lol …Saw a vid yesterday from Vecinie saying Sharpe has more upside than Mathurin …and that’s saying something Mathurin vids he’s a stud .

Sharpe blowing off Detroit at 5 

New Givony mock:

"The Magic will cast a wide net in exploring whom to select with the top pick, and will bring in the draft's top three prospects -- Smith, Holmgren and Banchero -- for in-person meetings. Most NBA teams are operating under the assumption that Smith will end up hearing his name called here, as he fits both the front office and coaching staff's philosophy for what they look for in a prospect. He is also an outstanding fit for a Magic team that badly struggled to space the floor effectively last season. Smith was arguably the most dynamic shooter in college, converting 42% of his 3-pointers despite standing 6-foot-10. He's a highly versatile defender who plays with outstanding intensity, switching all over the floor with quick feet and impressive energy, giving the Magic the ability to play in a variety of lineup configurations with their existing players."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

That rumor of Ivey to OKC is crazy. Talk about throwing a curve ball into the mix.

16 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

That rumor of Ivey to OKC is crazy. Talk about throwing a curve ball into the mix.

For me that one screams "we know someone really likes Ivey so offer us a package to trade up for him" because I can't see how they think it's wise to draft 2 guards in the first round last year and then use #2 on a guard this year when they already have SGA as well. There's BPA and then there's an unbalanced roster with no touches for someone you invested in. 

EDIT: think about it, if the Kings for example traded up for Ivey there's a world where OKC drafts Chet at 4 and gets a future first or something. 

6 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

For me that one screams "we know someone really likes Ivey so offer us a package to trade up for him" because I can't see how they think it's wise to draft 2 guards in the first round last year and then use #2 on a guard this year when they already have SGA as well. There's BPA and then there's an unbalanced roster with no touches for someone you invested in. 

EDIT: think about it, if the Kings for example traded up for Ivey there's a world where OKC drafts Chet at 4 and gets a future first or something. 

OKC's front office is insanely smart. I wouldn't put it past them. But this is entirely a game of smoke and mirrors. Unfortunately, I think the national consensus is that we'll pick Smith and there's very little "smoke and mirrors" to our alleged plan. I'm 95% sure we'll stay at 1 and get "our guy." No Webber / Penny deal this time around. 

3 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Wassermen lol …Saw a vid yesterday from Vecinie saying Sharpe has more upside than Mathurin …and that’s saying something Mathurin vids he’s a stud .

Sharpe blowing off Detroit at 5 

Lol goddamn man that's ruthless. Sad to think he'd do that to Orlando at 5 too