CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

23 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Just thinking about how the Magic have never not taken a center with the number 1 pick so obviously we are taking Chet 

Chris Weber was a PF, no?

I think there are a couple of truths the team has to face: (1) there is not a single player currently on this team that has star written all over them so fit shouldn't be a primary concern; and (2) there is not a single player currently on this team that will consistently place the team on his back and get a bucket when the team absolutely must have one.  There are a few that have shown signs, but not a single one that can be relied upon.  If this team is going to get where it wants to go, you have to have one of those players.

Chet is the only one I just don't see evolving into a player that will be able to consistently place the team on his back and get a bucket.  He's a unicorn so maybe I'm being to harsh.  I just see his advantages being taken away in the modern NBA that switches everything.  Don't get me wrong, if I was the Thunder or Rockets GM and already had my scorer, Chet would be an easy pick as a complimentary guy that has huge upside. 

Banchero provides the offense, but his defense is a concern and the lack of effort on that end, makes me question how he'd fit in on this team.  Reports are he's a leader and has great intangibles.  Maybe the defensive issues can be overcome.  He certainly could be an easy 20+ ppg scorer and has the size for PF. 

Pick and pop/roll with Smith and Fultz/Suggs (I've got Cole in the 6th man come in and let it rip role) would be really fun to watch.  But Franz is 6'10" 220 lbs.  Same as Smith.  Smith is only 19, so he is likely to be able to put on some muscle and keep the athleticism.  

Ivey is Oladipo 2.0, right?  Uber-athletic but with a questionable shot.  Could be a PG, but probably more of a slashing SG without a pure stroke.  Does he develop into anything significantly better than what the Magic still hope to get out of Fultz and Suggs?  Are you moving one of them to find out?

Sharpe is the wild card in this draft class.  Is he just hype or the guy everyone is going to redraft #1 2 years from now.  Solely drafting on need and potential, he seems to be the best fit for the Magic, but he'd have to absolutely crush the interviews and workouts the way Penny did.  

Assuming Sacramento sees one of the bigs as a missing piece, what's the package that would convince the Magic to go from 1-4?  What's the line on this board?  Strap in.   

4 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

He’s by far the thinnest guy I’ve seen enter a draft. It is scary, but I think he can survive at Power Forward. WCJ being signed for a long time would be a great fit at C

Bol Bol and his father Manute both said hi. (Very impressive in Manute’s case)

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Not bad measurements for Sharpe, I'd heard rumours he was closer to 6'4. 

Objectively speaking, Sharpe's measurements are smaller than I anticipated. Sure his wingspan is nice, but he's shorter and much lighter than I thought. He's basically the size of Beal.

6 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Objectively speaking, Sharpe's measurements are smaller than I anticipated. Sure his wingspan is nice, but he's shorter and much lighter than I thought. He's basically the size of Beal.

Sharpe won't be 19 until the end of this month. He's got good size for SG now and is likely to be even better size when fully mature.

I see the question on Sharpe being more his leadership and intangibles.  Does he have what it takes to come in and command the respect of his teammates. 

Maybe unfair, but choosing to sit out this season would seem to call into question his competitive nature.     

Dude is Chet supposed to just never get bigger? We seriously have to pass on the clear #1 player because "NoOoOo HIMB too smAll he'll get hurt and suck forever!!" like he is physically maxed out? Meanwhile Zion straight kills himself every time he hits the court because HIMB too BiG and he will spend the rest of his career fighting against a body that desperately wants to be 300+ lbs. The concern is valid but take a breath and realize he has years to fill out 

If Chet was 225 he'd be a unicorn. And we'd be dreaming about his reunification with Suggs and Wagner feeding him for unstoppable jump shots.

Edit: take the skinny kid who dominates like men 30 lbs heavier and bet on him to gain that much and get better. Don't let injuries that haven't happened deter from the player

12 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Beal is listed at 6’4” …if you’re going to use the no shoes height then you have to apply that metric to every guy that tested today …that inch or two you’re talking about doesn’t matter that much when your wingspan is basically 7 foot and your vertical is 48 + …he’s listed 6’6” at UK but 6’5” and a quarter is fine by me …if we’re being objective 

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Sharpe won't be 19 until the end of this month. He's got good size for SG now and is likely to be even better size when fully mature.

I see the question on Sharpe being more his leadership and intangibles.  Does he have what it takes to come in and command the respect of his teammates. 

Maybe unfair, but choosing to sit out this season would seem to call into question his competitive nature.     

Wilbur I love what you’re saying about Sharpe …I’m also a UK fan and followed the team this year …his situation with not playing at UK is bizarre …and Calapari caused a lot of it …nobody knows the true story except those guys …my guess is we’ll never know what really transpired for him not to play …Cal did say repeatedly he was gonna return and lead the team next year …as you say the interviews from our management need to be thorough …let’s see what happens 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

A less focused thought. 

The #1 overall pick has never not dramatically altered this franchises fortunes. Jeff Weltman obviously has a great opportunity to add talent to this roster but also the burden to get this right. 

Let’s hope the first pick delivers another franchise changing player! 

The question I have is does this year’s draft class have a franchise changing talent? Or is this another draft class with some useful players but not needle moving players?

I’m happy that we got the first pick, but I am not convinced we have a superstar waiting to be picked. I think it’s more likely we’ll get a good player than a great player. For example, I’ve seen Banchero compared to Julius Randle, which is not exactly the caliber of player a title contender builds around.

Fingers crossed we land another superstar with the first pick, but I think a player in the next tier or two down is more likely. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, J Roc Baby said:

Dude is Chet supposed to just never get bigger? We seriously have to pass on the clear #1 player because "NoOoOo HIMB too smAll he'll get hurt and suck forever!!" like he is physically maxed out? Meanwhile Zion straight kills himself every time he hits the court because HIMB too BiG and he will spend the rest of his career fighting against a body that desperately wants to be 300+ lbs. The concern is valid but take a breath and realize he has years to fill out 

If Chet was 225 he'd be a unicorn. And we'd be dreaming about his reunification with Suggs and Wagner feeding him for unstoppable jump shots.

Edit: take the skinny kid who dominates like men 30 lbs heavier and bet on him to gain that much and get better. Don't let injuries that haven't happened deter from the player

I will bet he never gets to 225 as a player. Maybe when he’s 40 and not exercising. But that will all be belly fat. Lol.

Oh and btw, unicorns don’t play basketball 

18 minutes ago, J Roc Baby said:

That’s one extreme to another comparison Zion and Chet! 

What you need to consider here is does Chet’s frame allow him to put on extra weight and size or is he a naturally skinny guy?

Chet doesn’t have broad shoulders like Dwight Howard. His shoulders seem quite narrow and that doesn’t really allow for a great deal of weight and size to be added.

Durability is a legitimate concern for someone as skinny as Chet. Plus, how is he going to handle bigger and stronger players when attacking and defending? He’s not an ideal prospect. Too risky.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Beal is listed at 6’4” …if you’re going to use the no shoes height then you have to apply that metric to every guy that tested today …that inch or two you’re talking about doesn’t matter that much when your wingspan is basically 7 foot and your vertical is 48 + …he’s listed 6’6” at UK but 6’5” and a quarter is fine by me …if we’re being objective 

I was looking at Beal’s draft measurements here: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bradley-Beal-5759/.

Sharpe may end up being amazing. He’s just a lot smaller than I anticipated. From his videos, I thought he was a legit 6’6” and 220+ pounds.