All Eyes On Me

2021-2022 Orlando Magic Season Thread… Let’s Goo!!!

6 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

Okay, I posted this on the Sixers thread but I'm bring it here to discuss:

In my opinion, at this point, with how he perceives himself as an alpha scorer that doesn't "take what the defense gives," I don't think Cole can stay on this team. He won't lightly relegate himself to 6th man, and if he does accept the role, he'll only use it to try to score and prove he should be in a starting lineup. 

I'm going 70% likely we trade him in the off-season. I just can't see a realm where we keep him if we can get some value for him in a trade and allow for our other players to flourish. 

Perhaps I'm reading the tea leaves too hard. Thoughts? 

It’s a legitimate concern, but I wouldn’t rule him out of the team’s future just yet. If he isn’t happy playing 6th man (which I’ve thought for a while is his ultimate ceiling,) then idk what else he’ll do in the league. Surely at some point he’ll either make a big leap or realize he isn’t going to start for good teams. 

2 hours ago, O_SteveO said:

It’s a legitimate concern, but I wouldn’t rule him out of the team’s future just yet. If he isn’t happy playing 6th man (which I’ve thought for a while is his ultimate ceiling,) then idk what else he’ll do in the league. Surely at some point he’ll either make a big leap or realize he isn’t going to start for good teams. 

My hope is that as Cole sees more of Markelle's effect on the team game, the example will begin to sink in. Fultz's return may actually have a positive impact on how Cole approaches the game and Cole's growth. Markelle gets some open shots partly because of his "non-shooter" reputation, but also because guys are hesitant to lose their man; as Markelle can find guys for the open look. Being a willing and able passer opens up shots for Markelle, not just for other guys. Cole is a smart enough and competitive enough player that I think he will want to have that same, positive effect on his teammates.

5 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

My hope is that as Cole sees more of Markelle's effect on the team game, the example will begin to sink in. Fultz's return may actually have a positive impact on how Cole approaches the game and Cole's growth. Markelle gets some open shots partly because of his "non-shooter" reputation, but also because guys are hesitant to lose their man; as Markelle can find guys for the open look. Being a willing and able passer opens up shots for Markelle, not just for other guys. Cole is a smart enough and competitive enough player that I think he will want to have that same, positive effect on his teammates.

I hope so. He plays hard and has talent. He just tries to do too much, as a lot of young scoring guards do

If this all true about what the Magic have said about Isaac, then Weltman should have said “and our training and physical therapy staff have been fired”. But I for one don’t believe a dam thing this management says. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

THE 'TANKEST' GM IN THE HISTORY OF THE NBA !!!!

I truly hope this is nothing more than a tank strategy, but I doubt it. I’ll believe Fra-JI-le will return to the court when it happens, but I’m super skeptical.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

*surprised face*

I know.  Shocker.  The real question is whether he’ll even be ready for next season.  The idea that they’d purposely retard his recovery as some kind of stealth tank strategy seems totally off base to me.  Doubtful he would make the team better for a good while anyway.  

4 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

I feel for him, and his contract extension is really hard to understand right now.

I think WeltHam saw JI as a generational talent worth betting on (like the Embiid situation). Unfortunately, it seems JI’s body is not responding/healing as they’d like. Tough stuff.

• Upvote 1

I value him high too, but does the market feel the same? Who was going to outbid us in such an offer for a often injured player?