Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

8 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

When Hennigan way overpaid for Ibaka and then signed Biyombo to a massive deal, when we already had Vucevic on the roster and thought that running all 3 in the same rotation was feasible... man, I knew we were in trouble then. Also, Henny had waaaay too much faith in Elfrid and wouldn’t ever let that dream go

Elfrid was never the problem.  Our expectations were too high because it had been so long since we had a real pg.

I hated the tanking strategy so I’m glad they got rid of Hennigan.  From my standpoint, he set us on the road to long term failure. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Murphy13 said:

Elfrid was never the problem.  Our expectations were too high because it had been so long since we had a real pg.

Elfrid has not been a success anywhere he’s been.  So either everyone’s expectations are too high, or he’s just not very good. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Natesroom said:

Can anyone explain this tweet to me?

25+ years for him to realize the only reason he got drafted and plays basketball is because he’s a super athletic 6’8”.  He doesn’t know how to play the game.

Just now, JJZFL said:

Elfrid has not been a success anywhere he’s been.  So either everyone’s expectations are too high, or he’s just not very good. 

He’s a solid #2 point guard.  He’s not a franchise saver which is what we needed at the time.  

35 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

Well he wasn’t part of the solution either, right? Ultimately, I put the blame of sticking with Elfrid at the feet of Henny, as he built a roster around him.

And we have seen plenty of examples of young point guards coming in and doing well within a year or two. So with Elfrid it wasn’t an age thing, it was an ability thing.

29 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Well he wasn’t part of the solution either, right? Ultimately, I put the blame of sticking with Elfrid at the feet of Henny, as he built a roster around him.

And we have seen plenty of examples of young point guards coming in and doing well within a year or two. So with Elfrid it wasn’t an age thing, it was an ability thing.

There has yet to be a solution, if that’s a testament onto Payton in your eyes then that’s up to you.  The reality is that very very few competent point guards are drafted and become legitimate game changers within three years, which is all we had him for.  You say there’s plenty out there but there isn’t.   Whether he ultimately became one later or not is immaterial, you don’t give up on pg’s after three years if you want to DEVELOP a good one.  That, as you correctly ascertained, is on Hennigan.  AG was a worse choice that year than Payton though.  To me it’s not about Payton, it’s about the handling from the FO and the general fans misunderstanding of the learning curve of the position.

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I think what he's saying is, "Took me 25 years to realize .... I don't need to do that little extra hop step before I shoot a three." 

Hahahahaa crying hahaha

11 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

There has yet to be a solution, if that’s a testament onto Payton in your eyes then that’s up to you.  The reality is that very very few competent point guards are drafted and become legitimate game changers within three years, which is all we had him for.  You say there’s plenty out there but there isn’t.   Whether he ultimately became one later or not is immaterial, you don’t give up on pg’s after three years if you want to DEVELOP a good one.  That, as you correctly ascertained, is on Hennigan.  AG was a worse choice that year than Payton though.  To me it’s not about Payton, it’s about the handling from the FO and the general fans misunderstanding of the learning curve of the position.

Who would you have chosen over AG?

3 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Hindsight being what it is makes it too easy today as there are several options but the no brainer at the time was Julius Randle.

9 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

I'm not part of this but have to say I wonder if we originally went with Tobias over AG, if his consistency would have been helpful at this point.

Edit: didn't even read that you guys were talking about the draft and didn't consider house stupid i look for adding this thought here lol 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Murphy13 said:

Hindsight being what it is makes it too easy today as there are several options but the no brainer at the time was Julius Randle.

I hear you. I disagree personally but i respect your views. I think we have badly misused AG since we got him. Its a tough one. I do like Randle. But AG is miles better defensively. I wish we would just play to his strengths more often and he was more consistent because when he is on form he is exceptional