Soul Bro

2020 Official Off-Season Thread

On 9/9/2020 at 2:51 PM, hootie249 said:

The biggest problem with Evan is the same the last 3 years. We have neither drafted a clear replacement, nor have we traded for one, unless you count Ross.

Management could easily see a cheaper Evan as better then no Evan, and they would be right to a certain degree. I could get behind a 12 million dollars a year Evan, for a very simple reason. At that price he is an asset. He is still young, and he can hit 3's and also handle the ball a little bit. Plus he is 6'7.  In fact i think the most likely thing we do in the off season is sign Evan and offer Fultz an extension, no other changes except maybe getting Dj or MCW back. 

So my super early prediction. resign Evan, for what i hope will be a 4 year 50 million dollar contract but i think is closer to 62.

Extend Fultz to a similar contract as Aaron Gordon also keep Gordon. Wait to extend Isaac, nobody is going to offer him a poison pill contract.

So basically you bring the exact same group minus Isaac back for yet another year?   I think at some point even the die-hards like us will start to tune out.  

23 hours ago, JJZFL said:

So basically you bring the exact same group minus Isaac back for yet another year?   I think at some point even the die-hards like us will start to tune out.  

Um no i'm the dickhead who would trade everybody and blow the whole team up. What i said is what i think our actual management will do.

I honestly think they will extend both Evan and Fultz before the season starts. If  they do it cheap, i will get slightly excited because those guys on cheap contracts are assets. However, it's the NBA i doubt it. 

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

Um no i'm the dickhead who would trade everybody and blow the whole team up. What i said is what i think our actual management will do.

I honestly think they will extend both Evan and Fultz before the season starts. If  they do it cheap, i will get slightly excited because those guys on cheap contracts are assets. However, it's the NBA i doubt it. 

Ok.  I understand.  

However I don’t think that even management would want to bring the exact same group back (with maybe two rookies and some role player changes) but maybe I overestimate them.  

Nate Duncan on his latest podcast did a little cap space overview of each team and the upshot for the Magic is that presuming Fournier opts in they have the full MLE but he's not sure we'll use it, we might use some of it to resign somebody maybe. 

More interesting though was the suggestion that he thinks most teams will stand pat mostly this off-season with all the uncertainty and then the trade deadline will be insane as teams have more indication of future cap numbers and start to gear up for a potentially loaded FA class in the summer of 2021.

So that's something to bare in mind in the coming months before you post your rant about the front office not making major moves.

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Nate Duncan on his latest podcast did a little cap space overview of each team and the upshot for the Magic is that presuming Fournier opts in they have the full MLE but he's not sure we'll use it, we might use some of it to resign somebody maybe. 

More interesting though was the suggestion that he thinks most teams will stand pat mostly this off-season with all the uncertainty and then the trade deadline will be insane as teams have more indication of future cap numbers and start to gear up for a potentially loaded FA class in the summer of 2021.

So that's something to bare in mind in the coming months before you post your rant about the front office not making major moves.

There’s a different reason every year but I don’t think the front office stands pat this off season.  Do you really want to watch the Vuch-Fournier show for yet another year?  I think they probably have to do something to inject some life into the franchise but I could definitely be wrong.  Maybe they believe that Okeke is so good that he’ll be the answer.  

26 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

There’s a different reason every year but I don’t think the front office stands pat this off season.  Do you really want to watch the Vuch-Fournier show for yet another year?  I think they probably have to do something to inject some life into the franchise but I could definitely be wrong.  Maybe they believe that Okeke is so good that he’ll be the answer.  

I don't want to keep Fournier long term no. But if there's no trade market that we like for him in the summer because of the uncertainty and he opts in we don't have a choice. We can move him midseason though when hopefully teams will have a better idea of the lay of the land moving forward and teams will be looking for their final pieces for playoff runs. 

At the end of the day though it's not about what I want. My post wasn't about what I want. It was about how there was a suggestion by someone who follows the league very closely that there won't be a lot of activity on any team.

23 hours ago, JJZFL said:
36 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I think that article sums it up pretty good. There really isn't much management can do.

11 hours ago, s1n1st3r12 said:

Do we ever entertain the Bucks and ask what they want for Giannis? 

Man... I almost passed a sleepless night this weekend thinking about this...

After reading that Giannis unfollowed the Bucks and all his colleagues in a social media network and that he was going to sit down with the Bucks owner early this week to clarify the future... Man... My head couldn't stop thinking about this...

Putting all this together with some interview or comment he made some time ago saying that he didn't see himself moving to a "mediatic" town like LA or Miami and the fact that the GM that drafted him in first place is now part of our FO, it quickly passed from a random insomnia to a "can't-stay-in-bed-anymore" situation... Eventually, I was able to calm down, stop torturing myself with all this "illusion" and managed to fall asleep.

But yes, if the possibility of him leaving the Bucks comes up and we do a proper inquire about him, I think they would ask for something like AG, Isaac, Bamba or Fultz + 1st rd pick, at least.

And IMO, if and when a possibility like this comes up, you just don't say "no", whatever pain it may cause to see certain players leaving...

We're not trading for Giannis. Two reasons: the Bucks are probably not trading Giannis, if the Bucks do decide to trade Giannis they'll get much better offers than what we can offer. 

• Like 1

Lol this forum, so deluded. How about instead of joking about trading for Giannis i'll remind people from a few years back of another player.

Does anyone remember when the Toronto was running it back year after year and people wondered if Lowry was worth trading for? Remember how so many people wouldn't trade any of our players for him? This guy just balled out the last two years, a true floor leader. He would have been perfect for this team the last 3 years, and he is not a superstar. He does have a ring as well, and it's just as much his ring as Kawhi's. I think some people on here don't watch enough basketball. The point i'm making is we have been overvaluing our players for years. Every single one of them was and is tradeable.