TrueBlueDrew

2020 Official Draft Thread

8 hours ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

We don't even get the prizes.

I'm hopeful that will change this draft. Maybe I'm just optimistic. There's a lot of guys in our draft ranges worth selecting in my opinion.

3 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Please no to rail thin seven footers. We’ve had enough. Thanks 

I can promise you we've never had a seven footer like Poku. I'm not saying he'll definitely work out and be a star (I think there's a real possibility hes not even an NBA player). But his talents are just so abnormal for a 7 footer that it's hard to come up with a comparison that doesn't sound insane when you say it out loud. 

Latest DX ESPN mock draft has us getting Cole Anthony at 15 and Skylar Mays at 45. 

In a vacuum if we came out of this draft with that I'd be pretty happy. Cole was bad at UNC but his situation was pretty bad and he had trouble with injuries. He still could give us a real lift as an off the dribble shooter and creator. Mays is a terrific person and I think he's a draft sleeper to be an impact player in the NBA. He's just solid all around. Not sure they're the guys I'd have picked looking at who gets taken after them in the same mock but I wouldn't grumble. If our FO drafted Cole I'd actually be more excited about him because it'd imply they think he's so good it's worth going away from the length and athleticism they usual covet.

2 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

almost forgot the draft lottery is tomorrow night

It will be between Bucks-Magic game right? It is weird to schedule it in between a game

So, was reading Hollinger’s top 24 on the Athletic to bone up on who is available. My major takeaway was that most of the guys who seem like they will be around at our pick occupy the same space as the Gordon-Isaac-Okeke cerberus, which, outside of maybe the USC big Okongwu falling and us moving Mo, is not ideal (his write up for DePaul F Paul Reed in particular screams ‘Weltman draft pick’).

However, there were a few names on there which fit what I think is our biggest need: wing scoring and shooting/replacing Fournier:

Vassell - likely won’t be there

Aaron Nesmith - Would be a great outcome on draft night IMO

Elijah Hughes (SF from Syracuse) - would be more of a reach in the teens 

And that’s it lol. Of course the actual decision makers will likely not be looking specifically at this position, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

1 hour ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Really hope the Warriors win to lol everything up

I would not be surprised if they do, they have good odds of winning the lottery since they are the worst team in the NBA 

9 hours ago, Jason Funderburker said:

So, was reading Hollinger’s top 24 on the Athletic to bone up on who is available. My major takeaway was that most of the guys who seem like they will be around at our pick occupy the same space as the Gordon-Isaac-Okeke cerberus, which, outside of maybe the USC big Okongwu falling and us moving Mo, is not ideal (his write up for DePaul F Paul Reed in particular screams ‘Weltman draft pick’).

However, there were a few names on there which fit what I think is our biggest need: wing scoring and shooting/replacing Fournier:

Vassell - likely won’t be there

Aaron Nesmith - Would be a great outcome on draft night IMO

Elijah Hughes (SF from Syracuse) - would be more of a reach in the teens 

And that’s it lol. Of course the actual decision makers will likely not be looking specifically at this position, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I like Paul Reed or Elijah Hughes in the second round if they're there, (doubt it) but don't think either guy should be in the conversation for 15.

I've also soured on Aaron Nesmith a lot but I wouldn't be surprised if he was the pick if he makes it to 15.

At 6’8 216 pounds, Bey has an NBA ready body to go along with an NBA ready skillset. He can create his shot off the dribble, knock down spot-up jumpers, and guard nearly any opponent on the floor. Bey’s physical profile and skill set make it very easy to insert him into any rotation.

This season, Bey was one of the most efficient scorers in the country as he scored 1.099 points per possession (PPP) overall, ranking in the 96th percentile, per Synergy. He was a deadly spot-up shooter, navigated the pick-and-roll effectively, finished around the rim, and took advantage of mismatches in the post.

Bey’s versatility on the surface is enticing, but his willingness to fill numerous roles makes him such a desirable prospect. If the team needs him to work off-ball, he will; if he is asked to create his shot, it’s not a problem. Whatever is required, Bey will be able to help.

Early in his career, Bey will likely be used as a spot-up shooter. This season, Bey ranked in the 98th percentile when spotting with 1.314 PPP and in the 98th percentile when shooting off the catch with 1.463 PPP. He does a great job of relocating on the perimeter and took full advantage of a Villanova system eager to make the extra pass. In the NBA, Bey will be a priority target in drive-and-kick situations.

Bey’s size makes him a multi-positional player, which creates a lot of mismatches on offense. Against larger opponents, Bey can lose them on the perimeter with his movement. Against smaller wings, he can take them down to the post for an easy score.

Versatility is the main selling point with Bey, and that extends to the defensive side too. Bey should be able to defend two through four, some centers, and the occasional point guard. He has the size and athleticism to do so, and his effectiveness should only improve over time.

Bey will likely end up getting drafted in the middle of the first round. I would be surprised if he ever makes an All-Star game, but his two-way versatility will contribute to many successful lineups. He has shades of Marcus Morris in his game, which could lead to him being a sort of journeyman as contenders continuously look to add that final piece. In the 2020 NBA Draft, there are few forwards who have the versatility and upside of Saddiq Bey.

https://hashtagbasketball.com/nba-draft/content/everything-you-need-to-know-about-saddiq-bey

He might be bpa when we draft, but he occupies the same space as Okeke.