Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

Magic @ Raptors - Monday, Oct. 28th at 7:30 P.M.

37 minutes ago, Tough Break There said:

Case of stats masking what’s pretty obvious watching the game. Bamba hurts us inside with his slow-footed rebounding. I don’t watch him and see a difference he causes with shot selection in the paint. 

And on offense it’s 4 on 5. Think Cliff moves back to Khem here soon, it’s not a season where we can afford to let Bamba to just get work in on the court. 

Exactly. That's what the GLeague is for

4 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

It already has.

That deal alone has completely caused me to question why I invest so much time and money into this organization. It’s why I’m rarely on or posting to this forum. I like to keep my negativity away but sometimes I can’t help it. 

It was a desperate deal to appease casual fans and keep our “all star” around and be able to make the playoffs as a 6-8 seed for the foreseeable future.

I’ll never under any circumstance understand why we had to do the 4 years. Absolutely won’t get it. If you want to overpay for a 1-2 year deal while Bamba develops then fine. But 4 years was absolutely inexcusable and one of the more nearsighted moves I can remember. 

Vuc duped everyone and I remember saying it all last year and all off-season. He has spike seasons in contract years. He will go back to what he’s always been this season. 

Sorry to bring the negative energy but it just infuriates me. 

I’m with you. It depresses me greatly. 

40 minutes ago, magicblue said:

Exactly. That's what the GLeague is for

For those that want to move on from Bamba how in the hell do we keep any value by benching him or sending him to the G-League?

9 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

For those that want to move on from Bamba how in the hell do we keep any value by benching him or sending him to the G-League?

Sending him to the GLeague for a month or two and giving him some reps isn't going to hurt his trade value any more than his current play is. Not to mention we're not moving him anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Tough Break There said:

Case of stats masking what’s pretty obvious watching the game. Bamba hurts us inside with his slow-footed rebounding. I don’t watch him and see a difference he causes with shot selection in the paint. 

And on offense it’s 4 on 5. Think Cliff moves back to Khem here soon, it’s not a season where we can afford to let Bamba to just get work in on the court. 

We're better at rebounding with Bamba in the game

4 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

We're better at rebounding with Bamba in the game

I'd be willing to bet we'd be equally as good with Birch in the game.

I think people who want Bamba benched are missing the point. 

You develop players by giving them minutes. 

He makes mistakes but not enough to be detrimental to the overall play of the lineups. Like I said before, if he was unplayable he wouldn't be a net positive every single game. He wouldn't be leading the team in opponent field goal percentage while he's on the court. 

I'm not arguing Bamba is good, he's not. These positive signs are mostly from other guys doing stuff. But if he was that bad that he was unplayable the lineups on the court wouldn't be positive. Whatever mistakes he's making aren't detrimental enough that they effect overall team play. 

2 minutes ago, magicblue said:

Probably. 

Birch isn't a 21 year old player picked 6th who needs minutes to work through his issues. 

Lewis,

I’m just not seeing (and haven’t really ever seen) what Bamba turns into. He doesn’t have the quickness and that doesn’t get better as he gets older. 

I’m sure you have the advanced stats, but just watching, I don’t think we rebound better with him. He doesn’t do more then get generic balls and the occasional put back. I rarely see him win 50 50 balls. That’s really the opposite of what you’d expect from a young big. 

4 minutes ago, magicblue said:

Shouldn’t the argument be that Birch is better than Bamba? If they’re equal, then why the hell would you play Birch when Bamba is younger and has drastically better potential than Birch? 

Birch averages 4.5 points and 4 rebounds a game in 13.3 minutes a game over his career.

Bamba, through three games, averages 4.7 points and 4.7 rebounds in 13.7 minutes. He’s in our best defensive lineups. In three games where Bamba has been arguably at his worst, he’s still drawing even with Birch.

If you extend it to include Bamba’s rookie season’s averages, he has a stat line of roughly 6 points, 5 rebounds and 1 block a game.

I understand being frustrated by Bamba, but putting in Birch wouldn’t change anything that isn’t completely marginal. Right now, Birch is at best equal to Bamba, and at worst marginally worse than Bamba. Switching them out would hurt Bamba’s development with no significant uptick in production 

5 minutes ago, Tough Break There said:

Lewis,

I’m just not seeing (and haven’t really ever seen) what Bamba turns into. He doesn’t have the quickness and that doesn’t get better as he gets older. 

I’m sure you have the advanced stats, but just watching, I don’t think we rebound better with him. He doesn’t do more then get generic balls and the occasional put back. I rarely see him win 50 50 balls. That’s really the opposite of what you’d expect from a young big. 

Bamba’s ceiling is a unicorn that shoots threes, runs the floor, protects the rim and can be relatively elite defending smaller players as a big man. I don’t think he gets to some elite level, but I think a Clint Capela that can shoot ok from 3 is within the range of outcomes.

Bamba athletically is one of the best combine testers since Gobert. Right now, I think it’s mental quickness rather than physical quickness. You hope for the proverbial “slowing down of the game” that comes with game reps. His issues is with timing his blocks and lapses in defensive positioning. I do think those are fixable with coaching and a large amount of reps.

• Downvote 1