Odin

Trade Thread

4 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Huh?  Why devalue the pick? B/C if we finish with the 7th worst record we have like a 25% chance of a top-4 pick this year.  You don't just offer an unprotected first as a bottom 7 team for a player of DSJ's stature.  Why would we shoot ourselves in the foot like that?

You're advocating just gifting way too much of an asset.  We're not trading for Kemba here.

If we draft a PG with our pick how long does that delay us becoming relevant again? Do we continue to start DJ for the next 2 years? If we make a few successful tweaks there is no way we finish 7th worst anyway. I'm still thinking playoffs here, 6-8th place.

In the hypothetical where we offered our unprotected first this year, Dallas would've already accepted.  No need for another major asset.  So just consider how that would be an absolute steal to them and reflect on if that sounds like an appealing thing for us to do.

23 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

Pfft make it Top 5 protected and done.

Top 5 protections are kind of pointless as the only way to get the 5th pick is if you finish in the top 5 and the odds of us finishing in the top 5 are slim. 

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

You never trade an unprotected pick unless you're making a "this could get us into the finals" move. 

I know, I'm just soooo ready to move on from what we've been for the last several years and I don't see a draft pick changing that.

If all they're asking is Ross + unprotected pick, i think it gets done. Not unprotected, but a compromise may be top 3 protected. Would suck to lose Ross but our bench (this year) would get Wes & DSJ. Hopefully their familiarity and chemistry with each other would translate to new team. 

1 minute ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

If we draft a PG with our pick how long does that delay us becoming relevant again? Do we continue to start DJ for the next 2 years? If we make a few successful tweaks there is no way we finish 7th worst anyway. I'm still thinking playoffs here, 6-8th place.

You're acting under the assumption that our pick is exactly where we finish.  That's not how it works.  Even if we finish one game out of the playoffs, we could still obtain the first overall pick.  It is incredibly dumb to just not care about that.  All of the sudden we traded Zion for DSJ.

2 minutes ago, Malik Buttface said:

Was the unprotected pick our pick this year? If so, sounds like they want to try and get back a pick similar to the one they sent to Atlanta for Doncic.

If we did an unprotected pick I would include any of Simmons, Grant, or Fournier in a deal but not Ross unless he said there was no way he'd re-sign here. 

Just now, ML6 said:

You're acting under the assumption that our pick is exactly where we finish.  That's not how it works.  Even if we finish one game out of the playoffs, we could still obtain the first overall pick.  It is incredibly dumb to just not care about that.  All of the sudden we traded Zion for DSJ.

I'm kinda a "bird in the hand" kinda guy. As a good friend of mine used to say you can sh*t in one hand and wish in the other... which one is heavier. Yeah we could get really lucky and get the Zion pick... on the other hand more than likely we could get 10-13 and still have the same team we have now which just isn't getting it done. I'm ready for the team to get better now, how about you?

1. Guys this is a Kyler rumor. He doesn't have sources and the next news he breaks will be the first

2. There's a lot of knowledgeable people on this story and nobody has mentioned Ross. People say Dallas asked for Gordon. Fournier and Simmons, just Simmons, Bamba, Augustin but never Ross. Probably because Ross doesn't make sense for them because Matthews is the same player and Ross is expiring. 

3. If I was trading a young player I'd begin negotiations by asking for an unprotected pick. You always begin at an unreasonable point because you don't know where the opposing party is going to counter.