Sign in to follow this  
The Neighborhood Bully

Gamethread: Kings at Magic

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

Giving up 59 in the first half isn’t what we expected from this team either.  They were supposed to rely on their elite defense but they’re giving up 60+ in the first half way too often.  

On the offense I think we were 11/43 from three.  

Exactly. Shot selection was suspect even though their shots were often open. This team just falls in love with the 3 too easily and when those shots aren't falling then it's game over for us. Defensively we're a work in progress, but the new pace of these games means we'll still give up quite a few points.

11 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Oh, we’ve got plenty of guys already that can shoot but not score. Shooting is the easy part, it’s the whole making thing we’re having problems with.

He makes shots. He just doesn't take many. But he might be the best passer in the NBA

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

I think it's one of those things where vucevic makes just enough shots to have defensible stat lines. "Our offense is bad. Bad offenses don't score a lot. Vucevic scores a lot of our points. Vucevic is good for our offense". 

Like if you look at his numbers tonight. 15 points on 11 shots. 15 rebounds. 5 assists. You'd take that stat line. 

But there's a bunch of small things he does that add up that kills us. Especially with the type of roster we have. 

He always puts up numbers, been doing that forever.  But the team loses.

2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Moral victory?

I'm just happy the guy we just paid a bunch of money and our prized rookie played well. I would be less happy if they performed poorly. Because we would be worse off if they sucked

Yes moral victory. The guy we just paid is playing exactly how we expect him to play. The rookie we drafted is playing exactly how we expect him to. Now what? Gordon has been on par since we drafted him. My worries do not reside with Gordon or a rookie. My worries do not reside with a guy who only played 27 games last year. My worries reside in the rest of the team. A PG who is best served off the bench if that. A wingman best served as the 3rd scorer. A big best served off the bench. Yet we rely on all three of these guys. so again what now?

I'm happy they are doing what they are supposed to be doing but it doesn't outweigh the dead weight or the weirdly constructed team we have. It needs to be fixed and I personally can't find much happiness with this game. 

23 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Yes moral victory. The guy we just paid is playing exactly how we expect him to play. The rookie we drafted is playing exactly how we expect him to. Now what? Gordon has been on par since we drafted him. My worries do not reside with Gordon or a rookie. My worries do not reside with a guy who only played 27 games last year. My worries reside in the rest of the team. A PG who is best served off the bench if that. A wingman best served as the 3rd scorer. A big best served off the bench. Yet we rely on all three of these guys. so again what now?

I'm happy they are doing what they are supposed to be doing but it doesn't outweigh the dead weight or the weirdly constructed team we have. It needs to be fixed and I personally can't find much happiness with this game. 

Nope. This game sucked. I'm getting tired of the piss poor attitude of the guards when things don't exactly go there way. Slam on Vuc for PnR defense, but we all know that's his Achilles heel. I'm more worried about the guards that can't hit the broad side of a barn much less create a play or finish at the damn rim.

7 hours ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

How are you going to sit here and tell me how I'm personally supposed to feel about a basketball game?

9 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

Damn you think we’re imploding here you should go take a look at the sixers forum. They’re in legit panic mode wanting to trade Simmons now lol

I loved Ben Simmons as a draft prospect but I'm afraid he might be more style than substance. The grace that he plays with is amazing but unless he develops some type of shot he'll struggle.

The blame isn't solely on him, though. The Sixers are dumb. They have Fultz starting and Saric isn't the best shooter out there. I'd just go with the 2 young stars and great shooters. Covington is also streaky as hell

13 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

How are you going to sit here and tell me how I'm personally supposed to feel about a basketball game?

Some people will be mad at this, but I was really happy with yesterday's loss. It was a critical game so early in the season, to see if our team should go for a playoff spot with the veteran core or to figure out if we still were who we always were.

We lost, the vet core looked as bad as ever, Bamba had some great flashes mixed with rookie mistakes.

I want us to get a top 10 pick and for BIG to be great. As I said a few days ago, having horrible PGs is stealth tanking and I'm fine with it.

• Upvote 1

The problem is tanking isn't worth it anymore starting with this draft.  Even if we finish with the worst record, we have a ~50% chance to get a pick between 1 and 4 and a ~50% chance of the 5th pick specifically.  Meanwhile, if we finish with the 6th worst record, we have a ~37% chance of a pick between 1 and 4.  That's not really a significant difference, IMO.

We've consistently drafted at or worse than our expected position given the odds since the Oladipo draft.  The new system only compounds the likelihood that that continues to happen for teams.  It will be cruel if we continue to be awful, yet can't obtain a high enough pick because the odds have improved for worse teams now -- but that is a real possibility.