magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

2 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

While he is a shell of his former self, I would love to see Jameer come home. One of my all time favorite Magic players.

I think one of the things we really lost by letting 'Meer go was the camaraderie among the team. He was the guy who always did the team building, getting the guys together for player-only mini-camps, bowling, dinners, etc. I'm sure he alone couldn't have prevented the Fournier/Vuc clique from happening; but maybe it could have minimized the impact? His locker room presence I think would bring far more than he brings on the court. Having said that, he still averaged 3.6 assists per game last year in just over 20 mpg. You can't expect much more than that from a end of the bench, emergency use PG. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ~O~ said:

Doesn't mean he doesn't want to.  Ronaldo should be a billionaire by now or long ago.  LeBron would be the first billionaire basketball player active from what his projection is.  He's made the right move to ensure he has the most money before he retires.  

Thanks,  ~O~. I couldn't remember the exact comment (word-for-word), but I do remember LeBron saying: a) He wanted to be a billionaire and b) He wanted to be the first. (Note: He didn't just say he wanted to be a billionaire, the first was mentioned in his comment). So yea, as ~O~ said, LJ wants to be the first active basketball player billionaire.

1 minute ago, jmmagicfan said:

I think one of the things we really lost by letting 'Meer go was the camaraderie among the team. He was the guy who always did the team building, getting the guys together for player-only mini-camps, bowling, dinners, etc. I'm sure he alone couldn't have prevented the Fournier/Vuc clique from happening; but maybe it could have minimized the impact? His locker room presence I think would bring far more than he brings on the court. Having said that, he still averaged 3.6 assists per game last year in just over 20 mpg. You can't expect much more than that from a end of the bench, emergency use PG. 

Yea as much as I don’t love Jameer the player like most magic fans do—we haven’t had anyone close to the type of leader he was for this team. It’s actuslly been severely lacking since he left. 

Can AG be that guy? Idk. To me being s great leader on and off the court is either something you have or you don’t. Jameer had it. Not sure who on our team could be that guy. Issac seems to quiet. Bamba could be. He’s incredibly well spoken and seems like a fun guy to be around for team chemistry building stuff. 

Who knows though. I’ve actually read Frazier is a high character guy who can lead. Don’t have to be the best player to be the best leader. 

21 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I still don't understand why people think Bamba Gordon and Isaac are bad fits. I'd argue they're ideal fits. 

People said that? I agree they are ideal fits

15 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I still don't understand why people think Bamba Gordon and Isaac are bad fits. I'd argue they're ideal fits. 

And people keep saying they can’t shoot. 

Gordon improved his 3pt shot by 5% from the previous year. If he can improve 3-5% this year he’ll be around 37% mark which would be ideal and not unrealistic to expect that. 

Issac shot 35% from deep last year in an injury riddled spuratic playingtime rookie season. There’s no reason to think he can’t be around 37% as well this year. 

Bamba we don’t know but all the reports seem to be trending in the right direction.

Yea those guys aren’t gonna win 3pt contests but people keep saying they can’t shoot or there won’t be enough shooting ability when I don’t think that’s the case. 

I will say in a perfect world you’d like the PG and SG to be more consistently good shooters with Issac/AG/Bamba but I don’t think they necessarily have to be. 

11 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

And people keep saying they can’t shoot. 

Gordon improved his 3pt shot by 5% from the previous year. If he can improve 3-5% this year he’ll be around 37% mark which would be ideal and not unrealistic to expect that. 

Issac shot 35% from deep last year in an injury riddled spuratic playingtime rookie season. There’s no reason to think he can’t be around 37% as well this year. 

Bamba we don’t know but all the reports seem to be trending in the right direction.

Yea those guys aren’t gonna win 3pt contests but people keep saying they can’t shoot or there won’t be enough shooting ability when I don’t think that’s the case. 

I will say in a perfect world you’d like the PG and SG to be more consistently good shooters with Issac/AG/Bamba but I don’t think they necessarily have to be. 

I think Gordon can improve his 3 point FG% up to 35% or so just by being smarter with his shot selection- I.E. less pull up threes in transition, more catch and shoot threes in the offense. If he can improve his actual 3 point shooting ability on top of that, then he can for sure get up to that 36-37% range. I don't know if I think he will get up there this season- I expect around 34-35%, or a 1-1.5% improvement, but there is no reason he can't keep bringing those percentages up with the effort he puts in.

Edit: If all of them are around the 33-35 range, that isn't too bad. Most teams can't get that kind of shooting from all positions 3-5. Obviously would like it higher, but even at 33%, you are basically getting a point per possession.

1 minute ago, Odin said:

I think Gordon can improve his 3 point FG% up to 35% or so just by being smarter with his shot selection- I.E. less pull up threes in transition, more catch and shoot threes in the offense. If he can improve his actual 3 point shooting ability on top of that, then he can for sure get up to that 36-37% range. I don't know if I think he will get up there this season- I expect around 34-35%, or a 1-1.5% improvement, but there is no reason he can't keep bringing those percentages up with the effort he puts in.

Yea his shot selection, especially in the second half of the year was quite awful. I agree just cutting out bad shots will help him. 

36 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

They fit if we have an offensive minded 1st option player in the mix. As of now, AG looks like a good 2nd option who should also be focusing on defense but maybe he becomes a first option this year. 

I think people currently see a team mainly made up of 2nd, 3rd, and so on options. 

do you guys want more of a pass-first PG or a scorer at the position? Ideally both, but those don't grow on trees (or they get draft 1 pick before us).