magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

7 minutes ago, MagicFan1234 said:

There is good reason to tell other people to shut up for stating their opinion on a player they would like for us and that good reason is Thomas is terrible so they should shut up about hoping that terrible players will come to our Magic

No, that is just being rude and really adds nothing to the conversation but to remind others of your seemingly abrasive and socially inept personality. There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with other people. Heck, there are arguments and disagreements going on here all the time. It is part of what makes coming here fun. But, if you disagree, then disagree civilly and back up your disagreements with even-headed reason. Don't go about being an irritant, spouting off short, rude posts.

14 minutes ago, MagicFan1234 said:

There is good reason to tell other people to shut up for stating their opinion on a player they would like for us and that good reason is Thomas is terrible so they should shut up about hoping that terrible players will come to our Magic

No, there isn’t. That’s not how you talk to people especially when we’re all magic fans here. 

You are a -93 for a reason on here. Maybe try to change that and a good way to start is by not telling people to shut up for no good reason. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Odin said:

Just wondering- if Thomas' stats don't bother you, why are you against Lonzo? Lonzo is basically already better than Thomas in every facet of the game other than shooting- and Thomas' shooting regressed so much that it really isn't that far off. Lonzo is also relatively cheap at 5+ million a year and, at 20 years old, will likely continue to improve in the future.

I am not that high on Lonzo myself- but if the cost isn't prohibitive, I would take a chance on his potential.

I think Fournier is basically who he is going to be now. The only ok thing about bringing on Isaiah instead of someone like Jeff Green, is that at least he wouldn't be blocking minutes from any young player. Other than that, I don't think I see a positive.

My aversion to Lonzo is 2 fold.

1. Is LaVar. Dude would end up being the absolute worst distraction this franchise has ever seen, and would likely cause problem after problem, probably even trying to force his way out of small market Orlando. I dont want that headache.

2. If we go after Lonzo, we are then going in on him as the PG of the future, and I'm hesitant to commit to him in that role. Especially with the headache.

Add in the fact that Lonzo requires a trade. Isaiah doesn't, allowing us to nab a PG and use our assets to address another hole as well.

I mean, I wouldn't stamp my feet if we traded for Lonzo. But I think it's too risky. I dont see Isaiah as a risk. Hes a stop gap. Even if he sucks theres really nothing lost. If we got Lonzo, LaVar could set this franchise back even further. I think LaVar is the last thing this franchise needs right now when we're trying to find our footing again.

But it even further begs the question: why do we even assume Lonzo is even available?

8 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

I dont entirely agree or disagree, but I'm gonna shoot you an upvote for the well thought out counter argument.

I would say, on the age thing, the age doesnt bother me because I dont see him as the long term PG. Hes a 1 or 2 year piece until we get our real PG of the future (far as I know theres no affordable candidates out there for us?)

He's also good enough that he could potentially be a trade piece for us as well.

As others have said, I also like his heart and hustle. His individual stats dont bother me so much because we aren't a contender this year, so what does it hurt if he actually leads to us losing games (which I don't think he would. I think he'd be a positive for our win totals, and potentially push us towards a playoff berth as well. But perhaps I'm over hyping him)

But I particularly like the fit because as I said, it keeps Fournier and Gordon from being our #1 and #2 options, and pushes them down to a more appropriate #2 and #3. I think that can help their development because they won't be asked to do more than they are capable of and can develop in their more appropriate roles on this team.

The Isaiah Thomas idea definitely has its pros and cons - the problem is we just don't really know enough about him to really know which is which. 

1) The age thing - I would agree that on a 1 year deal, or even 2 year with minimum guarantee he's not a bad option. I don't see him as the long-term PG for us, just an interim piece that could potentially benefit both us and him.

2) He had miserable stats last year - I don't put much stock in this because he was returning from an 8-9 month layoff due to injury, played with two different teams/coaches/teammates without a training camp. Will he come back to his pre-injury self? There seemed to be indications that he would in the LA games. Does he hurt our team defense? I think if he is engaged and playing with effort, he will be better than Payton. At least he is quick enough to get in front of people. Will he be engaged/play defense with effort? He has something to prove again, and that is what took him from #60 in his draft to contending for MVP.

3) Does he fit? This to me is the biggest question mark. IT is a scoring point guard who needs the ball in his hands to be effective. I could see him being detrimental to the development of AG, JI and Mo if he doesn't keep them engaged on the offensive end, and I think that really falls on the coaching staff to make sure it doesn't happen. On the other hand, he did seem to keep the younger guys engaged while he was in Boston. We don't have Brad Stevens on the bench, but I don't think Clifford is the type of coach to let IT get too far off the rails either. 

I think IT might be worth a flyer on a mid-level, make good contract that gives him a chance to prove to the league that he can be the player he was pre-injury/pre-trade. 

5 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

What about Khem?

As of this minute I don't think Birch is getting into the rotation over any of those guys

4 minutes ago, Odin said:

No, that is just being rude and really adds nothing to the conversation but to remind others of your seemingly abrasive and socially inept personality. There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with other people. Heck, there are arguments and disagreements going on here all the time. It is part of what makes coming here fun. But, if you disagree, then disagree civilly and back up your disagreements with even-headed reason. Don't go about being an irritant, spouting off short, rude posts.

If you say so

• Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, MagicFan1234 said:

Per the Terms of Service, you must be courteous and considerate and not use profane, derogatory, inflammatory or rude language. Please honor these terms.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MagicFan1234 said:

You get your hopes up too much , I knew Favors would stay with Jazz, if Jazz was a awful team, Favors would have left

Everyone knew he was staying. And we could still trade for Exum (not likely) but may have been a little easier if they had a need for backup big.

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

As of this minute I don't think Birch is getting into the rotation over any of those guys

That’s a bad decision. He’s better than biz. And arguably a better fit than vuc. I don’t give a dam how much they make. 

• Upvote 1

Listening to Russillo podcast and he thinks Ball is traded (maybe attached to Deng). Lots of league people saying he doesn't fit with Lebron and Bron doesn't want to deal with the shenanigans. 

6 minutes ago, Nyce_1 said:

Listening to Russillo podcast and he thinks Ball is traded (maybe attached to Deng). Lots of league people saying he doesn't fit with Lebron and Bron doesn't want to deal with the shenanigans. 

To who?