magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

4 minutes ago, Franchise408 said:

Personally, in my humble opinion, I think Isaiah Thomas is a perfect part time fit for us until we find out long term PG of the future. He is offensive minded, and has the capability to be a #1 option, which will in turn place all of our other guys into their more natural positions on the offensive pecking order: I.E. Fournier a #2 option, Gordon a #3 option, etc.

From my understanding, he can be had for fairly cheaply (i.e. we can afford him), we can make him a temporary fix, so we won't be jeopardizing our long term with him, and he can fill a very huge position of need for us until a time comes rather via draft, trade, or FA we can bring in a more permanent solution to the position.

I'd like to see it happen. I feel much better about that than all these talks around here of bringing in Lonzo Ball (why we want him and why we'd even be remotely considered an option, and why it's thought he's even available, are all beyond me)

Except didn't he already come out and make a comment that the Cavs franchise is better off without LeBron? At least that's what I heard on my local sports radio yesterday morning.

I think signing him for any amount would be an absolute terrible decision for the Magic. This would only have a chance at working  if he returned to the same level that he was at two years ago in Boston, which is a very unlikely scenario.

Why he would be a bad idea:

1. He is a banged up, small point guard who is approaching 30. Such players rarely regain their lost form.

2. His statistical output last year was incredibly poor, and is likely to still continue.

3. Even with good statistical production, he often is barely a positive for the team he is playing for due to his absolutely atrocious defense. His bad defense is Payton-esque- potentially team ruining.

4. His age doesn't  match with our team. We can't  hope on any further improvement from him, while the players our team should be focusing on are all young up-and-comers.

5. His play style doesn't fit what I think our team should be looking for. I.E., he is a gunner who looks for his own shot. Per 36 last year, he took almost 18 shots a game, while shooting 37% from the field and under 30% from the three. He isn't going to work in a democratic, move the ball offense- which is how I think we should be playing next year. He also had 4 turn overs per 36 minutes.

6. I am not sure players actually like to play with him all that much. There have been rumors of difficulties at almost every stop for him.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, MagicFan1234 said:

I hope he signs with another team so you can shut up about him

Why do you talk to people like this on here? 

1 minute ago, HeHateMe said:

Why do you talk to people like this on here? 

Because what is the point of talking about players if Magic has no interest in or seem to have no interest in?

• Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, MagicFan1234 said:

Yeah but you are going to continue talking about him if Thomas has not been signed yet

Who cares if he talks about him? Isn’t that the entire point of a forum? For people to discuss their opinions? 

You need a lesson in basic communication. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, MagicFan1234 said:

Yeah but you are going to continue talking about him if Thomas has not been signed yet

I say YES to IT. He has heart. He’s a champion. 

Count me in on the Thomas train!

5 minutes ago, MagicFan1234 said:

Welcome to a discussion forum 

Just now, MagicFan1234 said:

Because what is the point of talking about players if Magic has no interest in or seem to have no interest in?

How do you know what the magic have interest in? You don’t. Just stop. 

Even if you did there is absolutely no reason to tell other people to shut up for stating their opinion on a player they would like for us. It’s juvenile and you sound like a clown.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Nyce_1 said:

would you do Crabbe & Dinwiddie for Vuc & Simmons?

Maybe, but I would want the option to switch 1st round picks with Brooklyn next year as well. I think I would still prefer a straight Vuc for Jeremy Lin trade, though. 

5 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Who cares if he talks about him? Isn’t that the entire point of a forum? For people to discuss their opinions? 

You need a lesson in basic communication. 

Alright then

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Odin said:

I think signing him for any amount would be an absolute terrible decision for the Magic. This would only have a chance at working  if he returned to the same level that he was at two years ago in Boston, which is a very unlikely scenario.

Why he would be a bad idea:

1. He is a banged up, small point guard who is approaching 30. Such players rarely regain their lost form.

2. His statistical output last year was incredibly poor, and is likely to still continue.

3. Even with good statistical production, he often is barely a positive for the team he is playing for due to his absolutely atrocious defense. His bad defense is Payton-esque- potentially team ruining.

4. His age doesn't  match with our team. We can't  hope on any further improvement from him, while the players our team should be focusing on are all young up-and-comers.

5. His play style doesn't fit what I think our team should be looking for. I.E., he is a gunner who looks for his own shot. Per 36 last year, he took almost 18 shots a game, while shooting 37% from the field and under 30% from the three. He isn't going to work in a democratic, move the ball offense- which is how I think we should be playing next year. He also had 4 turn overs per 36 minutes.

6. I am not sure players actually like to play with him all that much. There have been rumors of difficulties at almost every stop for him.

I dont entirely agree or disagree, but I'm gonna shoot you an upvote for the well thought out counter argument.

I would say, on the age thing, the age doesnt bother me because I dont see him as the long term PG. Hes a 1 or 2 year piece until we get our real PG of the future (far as I know theres no affordable candidates out there for us?)

He's also good enough that he could potentially be a trade piece for us as well.

As others have said, I also like his heart and hustle. His individual stats dont bother me so much because we aren't a contender this year, so what does it hurt if he actually leads to us losing games (which I don't think he would. I think he'd be a positive for our win totals, and potentially push us towards a playoff berth as well. But perhaps I'm over hyping him)

But I particularly like the fit because as I said, it keeps Fournier and Gordon from being our #1 and #2 options, and pushes them down to a more appropriate #2 and #3. I think that can help their development because they won't be asked to do more than they are capable of and can develop in their more appropriate roles on this team.

All that said, your point that he is unliked in the locker room is a valid concern (well, all your points are valid but that's one that raises an eyebrow with me as well). If that is the case (I hadn't heard that), then I'd be open to rethinking my position. I dont want a locker room disruption on this young team

7 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

How do you know what the magic have interest in? You don’t. Just stop. 

Even if you did there is absolutely no reason to tell other people to shut up for stating their opinion on a player they would like for us. It’s juvenile and you sound like a clown.  

There is good reason to tell other people to shut up for stating their opinion on a player they would like for us and that good reason is Thomas is terrible so they should shut up about hoping that terrible players will come to our Magic

• Downvote 2