magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

How raw is Bamba compared to another long-armed Center we have in Bismarck Biyombo? I see everyone getting so hyped for Bamba but I'm curious to know the large differences. I thought Bamba, like Biyombo, had a very flawed offensive game that will take years to fix - similar to Biyombo whom we all bemoan constantly? 

10 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Let's actually talk about this: 

We all want an upgrade at PG. But why? DJ is an adequate passer, a pretty good shooter, and good locker room presence. His knock? He's short and therefore is a liability on defense. However, with Mo Bamba, Jonathan Isaac, and Aaron Gordon running the 3-5, do we need someone who is tall or someone who can shoot and be a floor general on a good salary?

You know what this scenario reminds me of?

Jammer Nelson. 

The main offensive philosophy in the NBA right now is using screens to force switches to exploit matchups. Boston showed that the best way to disrupt this offense is to stick as many tall mobile defenders on the court at the same time. 

Now you're right, we shouldn't chase this philosophy at any expense. Augustin is preferable to chasing a bad situation. Signing jameer and Devin Harris is better than making a long term mistake. 

But lonzo is a good bet. The peak talent is worth betting on. We're not building a team for next year. We're building a team for the next 7 years. And the potential best defensive and best passing point guard in the NBA is worth losing two years of cap space. 

4 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

We’ll make the playoffs next year if we get Ball. Book it. I’m calling it now. 

Ball/Fournier/AG/Issac/Bamba 

That’ll get us in. 

I'd buy league pass again to watch the games for this. Sure it might be ugly at times on offense but we'd be exciting.

Just now, TreyMachine said:

How raw is Bamba compared to another long-armed Center we have in Bismarck Biyombo? I see everyone getting so hyped for Bamba but I'm curious to know the large differences. I thought Bamba, like Biyombo, had a very flawed offensive game that will take years to fix - similar to Biyombo whom we all bemoan constantly? 

No. Biyombo is an uncoordinated long armed guy.

Bamba is a very coordinated long armed guy. Bamba lacks toughness but he recognizes that. 

Just watch this and tell me what season of Biyombo he compares to

3 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Biyombo never had the shot or the potential for one that Mo has now. Also, Mo is taller and longer than Biz. Biz is actually undersized for a C

Just now, ?4thewin said:

No. Biyombo is an uncoordinated long armed guy.

Bamba is a very coordinated long armed guy. Bamba lacks toughness but he recognizes that. 

Just watch this and tell me what season of Biyombo he compares to

And Bamba seems to have much more BB IQ too!

12 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Fair point. I haven't spent much time listening to Lavar recently. If he really has taken some humble pie, I would be willing to roll the dice on Lonzo - that is if he thought he could begin to develop a jump shot. I'm still not convinced ownership will pass Lonzo and his family coming to the Magic. 

Haven’t missed much he’s still an ass of course lol but definitely not as crazy as he was at this point last year. I agree though his shot is worrisome but Clifford and kreutzer might be the right guys to help lonzos shot just like they did with kemba.

4 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Biz is 6”9. People seem to forget this constantly. He’s not comparable to Bamba in any facet of the game. 

It’s honestly about damn time for LA to scratch our backs. Really hope we are trying to figure out a way to get Lonzo 

Basically if you go back and look at biz's scouting reports he's basically described as a super athletic, long, mobile big man who looks like he's always stepping onto a basketball court for the first time. No offensive touch, feel, hands. 

Biyombo doesn't work because he can't catch the ball or finish or shoot. 

If Bamba fails it's because we underestimated his ability to improve his change of direction in rotations and the glimpses of him defending guards well on the perimeter remain glimpses and it's something he can do here and there but not consistently. He maxes out as someone that's "only" Myles Turner level where he blocks shots and hits jumpers ok but doesn't  make a major impact or play at the end of games in the playoffs. 

There's basically no chance he's Biyombo. But the downside is he's just only alright. 

20 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

And Bamba seems to have much more BB IQ too!

Well he can catch a basketball so yea.