Sign in to follow this  
Magicpassion

Who’s our point guard of the future?

After ridding ourselves of EP; which I feel was the right move long term; who is our target? I believe this is the most important position on the team as the point guard sets the tone for your offense and can disrupt play making on D. So, who is it? Keep in mind, they will have to be on the same timeline as our young core of 19 to 23. In this draft I know people are high on Trae Young, but I’m really concerned with his size and defensive ability plus he doesn’t suit our profile of defensive minded with length, Sexton is probably more suited for our style, but is he good enough? I doubt free agency produces anything and then there are trades: any ideas? It’s would be nice if we could get another top 15 pick but I’m afraid no one will take on Vuc or EF’s long term money and I’d rather keep AG unless we can sneak into the top 5 with a second pick. I am perplexed as to where we find our Point, any ideas?

I see your logic, however my gut tells me we won’t pick Young with a top 5 pick unless we pick up a second 1st and he drops. Just a hunch.... because it’s very obvious our front office values: length, fight, team play and versatility. 

Unless Trae or Sexton light it up to close their season and we win enough games to fall in the draft a bit we would be passing up some serious talent just to draft a pg.

My point exactly,  we won’t give up a potential top 5 pick on this year’s point guards, except maybe Donic and he’s more of a combo. It will have to be done in trade and that may mean giving up AG for a promising point on a rookie contract. I can’t stress the importance of getting this right...... It’s very possible we go for best talent available and address this next go around; it’s not like we’re in the mix for anything anytime soon.

2 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

Unless Trae or Sexton light it up to close their season and we win enough games to fall in the draft a bit we would be passing up some serious talent just to draft a pg.

Agree. I doubt Young and Sexton are high on the Magic board right now. I could see us drafting a big with our first pick and point guard early in the second.

We are drafting a PG likey with one of our second round picks. Unless we are trading down For Sexton and get a future pick.