Jump to content
Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

Magicfan1987    215
2 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Nah if he's slipping it makes more sense to go after young. 

obviously, hes the best player in the draft

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soul Bro    564

Espn’s new draft rankings are out:

1. Ayton

2. Doncic

3. JJJ

4. Bagley

5. Bamba

6. Carter

7. Porter

8. Young

9. Sexton

10. Mikal Bridges 

...

32. DiVincenzo

It’s interesting how Donte has jumped Milton, Brunson and Graham. What say you, Magic fans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Soul Bro said:

Espn’s new draft rankings are out:

1. Ayton

2. Doncic

3. JJJ

4. Bagley

5. Bamba

6. Carter

7. Porter

8. Young

9. Sexton

10. Mikal Bridges 

...

32. DiVincenzo

It’s interesting how Donte has jumped Milton, Brunson and Graham. What say you, Magic fans?

DiVincenzo certainly looked for real in the NCAA championship game.  Had range, quickness,  very athletic.  Checks off all the boxes.  First he has to declare.  Consistency a minor concern.  Obviously we would have to deal to get him.  If he does declare and since Tony Carr has declared PG stockpile has increased making it easier to get one who can help us. Looking at your list coupled with the fact that Weltman said he wanted someone who is long, athletic and could shoot/score doubling down on the shoot/score part,  if he passes his physical with all the doctors who will prod and poke him, I see us looking real hard at Porter.   Athletic with guard skills at 6'10", possibly the best shooter in this draft.  If he can show health is not a concern I see him gone long before #7.  Hope we do our homework on him since he could be the All Star of the top 7!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gordon MVP    282
8 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

DiVincenzo certainly looked for real in the NCAA championship game.  Had range, quickness,  very athletic.  Checks off all the boxes.  First he has to declare.  Consistency a minor concern.  Obviously we would have to deal to get him.  If he does declare and since Tony Carr has declared PG stockpile has increased making it easier to get one who can help us. Looking at your list coupled with the fact that Weltman said he wanted someone who is long, athletic and could shoot/score doubling down on the shoot/score part,  if he passes his physical with all the doctors who will prod and poke him, I see us looking real hard at Porter.   Athletic with guard skills at 6'10", possibly the best shooter in this draft.  If he can show health is not a concern I see him gone long before #7.  Hope we do our homework on him since he could be the All Star of the top 7!

Meh weve seen players like him before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
magicdoc1    167
33 minutes ago, Gordon MVP said:

Meh weve seen players like him before

Yes. One good game doesn't Really dictate much of a draft position. He needs to stay in college. maybe next year he can be a first round pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 recent mocks https://www.landof10.com/big-ten/nba-mock-draft-2018-projections-first-round-top-players-2018-nba-draft-order-april-8 have us taking Bamba at 4, JJJ at 4, and Bagley at 5. The  1st 2 have Doncic going AFTER our pick? Yahoo has us taking Porter at 4 https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-mock-draft-1-0-ncaa-tourney-stars-sprinkled-throughout-164346550.html Hoopshype has us taking Bamba at 4 with Doncic going at 5? https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-mock-draft-1-0-ncaa-tourney-stars-sprinkled-throughout-164346550.html

I just can't imagine us passing on Doncic if we have a chance to get him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike1989    54
20 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

3 recent mocks https://www.landof10.com/big-ten/nba-mock-draft-2018-projections-first-round-top-players-2018-nba-draft-order-april-8 have us taking Bamba at 4, JJJ at 4, and Bagley at 5. The  1st 2 have Doncic going AFTER our pick? Yahoo has us taking Porter at 4 https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-mock-draft-1-0-ncaa-tourney-stars-sprinkled-throughout-164346550.html Hoopshype has us taking Bamba at 4 with Doncic going at 5? https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-mock-draft-1-0-ncaa-tourney-stars-sprinkled-throughout-164346550.html

I just can't imagine us passing on Doncic if we have a chance to get him.

I can actually see us drafting Bamba over Doncic. The kid is 7 foot tall, 7-9 wing span, and a 9-5 standing reach. If he adds some more bulk to his frame he could be a really dominant center in this league. I think a realistic floor for him could be DeAndre Jordan, and if he develops on the offensive end and adds a consistent three point shot then he can be special. So in a sense he's not the "sexy" draft pick because he's more likely to be the next DeAndre Jordan than Karl Anthony-Towns, but he does have that special upside if he develops. 

Granted I think Doncic is the guy we should pick if he's available, but I can see why we would decide to draft a big like Bamba or even Jackson over him. They could slot into the center position and give us an upgrade in rebounding and rim protection. The sheer defensive potential of Isaac, Gordon and Bamba/Jackson is really appealing. Obviously the issue would be scoring points because they don't strike me as being 20+ a night regulars outside of Gordon, but this team's front office does value length and athleticism and Bamba and Jackson possess both of those things.

Who would I pick in those mocks? 

In Jordan Schultz's April 6th mock, I would take Bamba or Jackson over Porter. I can see the appeal of Porter because he does have a lot of upside, but we do have Gordon and Isaac to man the two forward positions. So unless we are willing to sign and trade Gordon, or honestly think that Gordon or Isaac can play the 5, or believe Porter is special whereas Gordon and Isaac are not, then I don't see adding another forward to be the right move. 

In the land of 10 mock, well, I would probably take Doncic. However, like I said above I can see the appeal of drafting Bamba or Jackson because they do fill the void at center. We might think we can get by with a back court of Augustin and Fournier until we can make further moves to fill those positions long term, whether that be through other draft picks, trades, or even free agency when our cap situation improves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the 2 main issues to deal with needing both scoring and defense/rim protection/rebounds, with 3 picks in the draft we can easily address both. It will be interesting to see which we prioritize as our 1st round pick. JJJ or Bamba could definitely solve the problems at center and Doncic could solve the scoring. I think we will be waiting to see who falls to us that should have been picked earlier and go from there. We also have Vuc & Mack as expiring contracts and next year's picks that maybe management can work with to get us another decent pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2018 at 11:59 PM, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

It's all about fun so with just a few games to go here is my prediction:

1. Phoenix 20 wins but MUST lose to Dallas for breaking our tie with Dallas.

2. Memphis 22 can win  games and still be 2nd worst which sucks for us because now Phoenix can afford to beat Dallas.

3. Atlanta 24 probably will not win another game tied with us for 3rd, hope they win 1 more!

3. Magic 24 shouldn't win another game and if we don't we lock up a tie for 3rd worst record with Atlanta providing Dallas can't out-tank Phoenix. If we win 1 we jump Dallas/Atlanta and get 5th place. If we win 2 meaningless games then we tie Sacramento for 5th. Both of our last 2 opponents need wins for playoff seeding.

3. Dallas 24 unless they beat Phoenix. Phoenix has the worst record locked up so they have no reason to tank this game :(

6. Sacramento 26 probably done winning.

7. Chicago 27 should tank both games against Brooklyn to get a better pick and keep the Cavs farther out

8. New York 28 probably won't win another game

8.  Brooklyn 28 should beat Chicago twice if the Bulls tank correctly.

Edited 4-9 12:01 AM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×