Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

9 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Was watching some videos of Ayton on defense. He is worse than Vuc! I would pass on him and grab someone that can already play both ends unless we are totally convinced he has the desire to learn and will make the effort on D.

My top 3 right now are Young, JJJ and Doncic

I doubt we'd do it, but just for discussion, what do you think you could realistically trade the number 1 pick for? (trading down for a top 8 or so pick included, not straight up for a player). It's a very balanced draft.

12 minutes ago, The Boss said:

I doubt we'd do it, but just for discussion, what do you think you could realistically trade the number 1 pick for? (trading down for a top 8 or so pick included, not straight up for a player). It's a very balanced draft.

historically the first pick has netted multiple future first round picks. just recently the celts picked up an extra first rounder for trading the #1 (Tatum-Fultz trade). 

If we get 1 I really want Doncic. If we get pick 2 I can totally see us not being in love with anyone else there for various reasons (assuming Doncic is pick 1 - althoug im not sure we'd pass on Ayton) so I'd trade pick 2 if it could get me let's say pick 4 and pick 19 from Atlanta. With pick 4 take JJJ (if he's off the board id look into trading down another couple of spots for future picks and taking Mikal Bridges). Pick 19 and our 2 second rounders might be enough to move up and get SGA, if not there's still a load of things you can do at 19, Sexton might even still be there.

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

If we get 1 I really want Doncic. If we get pick 2 I can totally see us not being in love with anyone else there for various reasons (assuming Doncic is pick 1 - althoug im not sure we'd pass on Ayton) so I'd trade pick 2 if it could get me let's say pick 4 and pick 19 from Atlanta. With pick 4 take JJJ (if he's off the board id look into trading down another couple of spots for future picks and taking Mikal Bridges). Pick 19 and our 2 second rounders might be enough to move up and get SGA, if not there's still a load of things you can do at 19, Sexton might even still be there.

This team needs talent. I might do your first trade (2=>4 &19), but I would not trade out of the top five. Historically, 1-3 have the highest odds of becoming a multiple time All-Star; top 5 you have decent odds on finding a star; once you are out of the top 5 those odds start dropping dramatically. 

13 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

There is Zero chance he will sign with the Magic for just the MLE when his back up center is getting paid 3 times that amount. I see him signing for 10-12 mills per year with another team. Now... Dedmon  is another story. 

Which other team is going to be paying him 10 million? Who would be starting him? I think there is a definite market for him as a back-up guy with potential to be more still, but I don't think there is really much of a market for him as a starter. He is a "I am taking a flier on you because it looks like you may have gotten the short end of the stick at your last two spots" type guy.

I could be wrong about all of that, but I think it is more likely that he is forced to take a "prove it" type deal next year.

I'm tired of this franchise drafting/trading for Euros.  We need an alpha scorer.  I take Porter, Young,  or Ayton.  Or trade down and get Bridges. 

Porter will come back healthy.  Worse case he is like Ben Simmons and would come back stronger and better.

45 minutes ago, biggshawn said:

I'm tired of this franchise drafting/trading for Euros.  We need an alpha scorer.  I take Porter, Young,  or Ayton.  Or trade down and get Bridges. 

Porter will come back healthy.  Worse case he is like Ben Simmons and would come back stronger and better.

You know who is probably the best bet for an alpha scorer?

Doncic

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Doncic

It would be so excellent to be in a position to get him. He has very good handles and passes well so he could very well be a 6'8 PG for us. 

After seeing some videos of Ayton playing defense, or should I say NOT playing defense, he is as bad as Vuc on that end, maybe even worse. Before drafting him I would need to have a very serious conversation with him about his willingness to learn and play D.  With 3 picks in this draft we are in a position to get 3 guys that can help us change this mess we have. Hope we end up in the bottom 3 and get a top pick and a very early 2nd pick too!

To be honest... I think I'd take Ayton at 2 over the trade down I proposed above. I know Aytons defensive deffencies are a risk but he's younger, longer and more athletic than Vuc was even when he was coming out of school. Give him a year or two with some great coaches and a personal trainer and he could be one of the most dominant players in the NBA.

31 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Doncic

Yeah, the more I look into Doncic's numbers, the more ridiculous the kid seems.

He just turned 19 and is already the best player on the best team in Spain, and one of the best teams in all of Europe (although they are 4th in the Euroleague).

He is probably the best player outside of America right now.

And it should be noted that he plays on a team that has a decent number of seasoned ex-nba players on it.

Rudy Fernandez- played about 250 games in the NBA

Anthony Randolph- played about 250 games in the NBA

Gustavo Ayon (remember him?)- 135 games in the NBA

Jeff Taylor- played about 130 games in the NBA

Trey Tompkins- Played 25 games in the NBA

Walter Taylor- 13 games in the NBA

Yeah, these players were role players at best in the NBA, but Doncic is already better than all of them. The average level of competition he faces is probably higher than college players.

On a European team, he is averaging 15 points, 5 rebounds, and 4.5 assists in 25 minutes on 46/31/80 shooting splits. (The three point shooting is the only thing that really stands out as needing some work, but his stroke is fine from what I have seen).

Per 36, that is 22 points 7.6 rebounds and 6.6 assists. (And 1.5 steals, which isn't bad at all).

For reference, Porzingis averaged 11 points 4.5 rebounds 1 steal 1 block in 21 minutes on 50/36/75 shooting. Per 36 that was 18.5 points  7.7 rebounds 1.5 steals and 1.5 blocks.

I don't know if you can tell, but he is who I want the most right now.

2 hours ago, Odin said:

Which other team is going to be paying him 10 million? Who would be starting him? I think there is a definite market for him as a back-up guy with potential to be more still, but I don't think there is really much of a market for him as a starter. He is a "I am taking a flier on you because it looks like you may have gotten the short end of the stick at your last two spots" type guy.

I could be wrong about all of that, but I think it is more likely that he is forced to take a "prove it" type deal next year.

During last nights game it showed  a stat on mario when playing over 25 or 30 minutes per game and starting.  It showed him averaging over 20 points per game if i recollect correctly.  AND this is like he is playing his first year.  Biz got $17 million on a "I am taking you on a flier".  Fortunately there are less teams and less money floating around this year.   So I hope you are right.  But if people on this site are "hoping against hope" that Mario resigns with us for a "lower than what he is worth" figure don't you think some NBA FO's have figured that out too.  I think our FO has a chance on selling him on the Magic.  But I think WE will have to sell him to stay.  I would love to see him get minutes at the 2 in the next few games.  Start him there.  I would also love to know his opiniom on Vogel!!!