Fultz4thewin

2017-2018 Official Season Discussion Thread

I can see the appeal of putting together a deal for Kawhi Leonard as long as he committed to signing for them long term. They would have a quartet of all star caliber players in Irving, Hayward, Leonard and Horford. They certainly have the assets to do a deal because they own three first round picks next year as well as their own, they'll be getting one from the Clippers, Grizzlies, 76ers or Kings. As long as they don't have to give up too much in the trade in terms of future picks and young talent, it could make sense for them to do a deal. Plus their main players would still only be 26 years old (Irving), 26 years old (Leonard), 28 years old (Hayward) and 31 years old (Horford). So they feasibly have a good window of opportunity to work with as long as those players stay healthy. However, they would need to strongly consider how wise it is to build a team around two stars that have never played a full season in their career to date and seem prone to injuries in Irving and Leonard. There's no doubting their talent and capability to make them perennial contenders, but they would need to be confident that they can stay healthy and lead them to titles otherwise they will be in a situation like they are now but without that young talent to rely on and carry them because they'll be gone. 

In some ways it might be wiser for them to stick with their young core talent. Jaylen Brown has made significant strides from his rookie season this year. He's averaging 14.5 points per game and hitting nearly 40% of his three point shots. He's a good defensive player as well and fits nicely in that shooting guard role. Jayson Tatum has had a decent rookie season and is averaging 17 points per game in the play offs. His three point shooting percentage has dipped in the play offs, but in regular season he was hitting over 40% of his attempts from distance. So these are two young players with a lot of upside and have all star potential that fit nicely alongside Irving, Hayward and Horford. There's no need for them to make a trade this off season and give up those two talents and future picks. I'd say hold onto those players and keep those picks. Realistically the Grizzlies and Kings pick should convey to the Celtics next season, and the Kings pick could be very valuable if they are terrible. The Clippers need to make the play offs for the pick to head to Boston, so that might be more difficult to attain if the Clippers decide to go into rebuild mode. 

So if I was the GM in Boston I wouldn't be panicking over trying to trade Rozier because he is a fine backup point guard. He has proven he can step in and start when Irving misses games, and based on Irving's career to date he has missed a fair number of games through injury. For them keeping hold of a good backup and decent enough starter is arguably more valuable to them right now than what they might get in return for Rozier. However, if a team was willing to send them a future first round pick for him and perhaps someone in exchange that adds to their bench depth, then that might appeal to the Celtics because it adds to their stockpile of picks. 

All that said, the question is at what level would Orlando match? Word is that if the number is $20 million, they will wave goodbye and go into an even deeper rebuild. After the season, Gordon told the Orlando Sentinel his “ideal is max,” which would be more than $20 million. Why would the Magic let him go for nothing? Well, they have, despite their horrible season, a big payroll and think Jonathan Isaac, last year’s sixth overall pick, could fill Gordon’s role. And they did market AG at the trade deadline (and dumped 24-year-old Elfrid Payton, who they didn’t want to pay, for a second rounder.)

There are, as Lichtenstein points out, some valid critiques of Gordon’s game. 

“There are scouts I’ve talked to who believe the Magic won’t be matching an extravagant offer for Gordon. It should be noted that those scouts don’t have the same opinion of Gordon as I do. They knocked his basketball IQ and said he presents all the questionable decision-making with the ball that we’re so used to in Brooklyn.”

Still, he is 22 years old and there just aren’t a lot of players out there with his potential. Would an $80 million or $100 million offer sheet be a big risk? Sure, but as that list at the top of the story notes, they’ve taken those risks before and there’s little doubt they are willing to do it again.

https://www.netsdaily.com/2018/5/4/17318312/will-nets-go-rfa-route-again-is-fifth-time-the-charm

I hate this team

Seems more likely that rival teams are trying to get someone to offer AG the max. If everyone thinks we would match anything, they wouldn’t want to tie up their FA dollars during the matching period. So putting it out there that we wouldn’t match would encourage teams to make an offer, tying up cap and likely forcing us to pay him more if we match. 

38 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I don’t believe this article. Time will tell

Nothing wrong with this article. I believe 20 mills per year is a steal and if they offer him that, there is no question we will match. New Jersey has nothing going for them. No picks, No decent players to trade etc... Somehow, they need to keep it interesting and free agency is what they are looking for. 

I am more worried by the LA teams. They have more money available and can easely pray AG and offer him a bigger deal. 

I, honestly, will call NY and ask Scott Perry if he has any interest on his boy AG(after signed, of course) and discuss a deal for Porz. I think with Porz injury and the pressure on "making it" next year, a deal of AG for Porz will be appetizing for them. We can sit Porz for the year and give JI enough time to develop next year. 

I will do this. 

2 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

oh my goodness I would LOVE A deeper rebuild. Let's see just how bad we can get, if we draft Trae Young them I'm all on board with letting Gordon go seeing as we won't need two starting caliber point guards on payroll. I don't think Biz can play the three but his contract is so small it doesn't matter. I love the color blue but don't trust drinks that are blue except Gatorade and even then you gotta wonder with this team. Stuff can't fly but does he know that? hot dogs nachos cold coke and popcorn in lower bowl or starving at courtside? These are all questions our new management needs to make by brunch or I'm done with this team my mind can't fake it or take it

4 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I think a lot will depend on how the draft falls. If we stay at five and let's say Ayton, Jackson, Doncic, Bamba/Young are taken in the top four. It could be argued that the best player available is Michael Porter or Marvin Bagley. At that point it leaves with a choice:

1. Draft Porter or Bagley to pair with Isaac, then look to sign and trade Gordon

2. Draft Bamba or Young and match any offer Gordon receives

It all depends on whether our front office think Gordon can get better and be a franchise cornerstone. If they don't, in this scenario it makes sense to add someone on a timeline like Isaac because that can allow us another season to tank. If they do, then it makes sense to draft a PG or C to help Gordon and this team make strides towards the play offs, since I doubt Gordon will be on board with another season of tanking and wasting his prime years.

You only don’t resign Gordon if you think his contract would be so incredibly out of line with his value that he would be unmovable without giving up additional assets (the Biyombo situation). I’m not sure opting to let him walk for nothing but the flexibility of being ~$10M under the cap this summer is really worth it for us. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Mack1085 said:

You only don’t resign Gordon if you think his contract would be so incredibly out of line with his value that he would be unmovable without giving up additional assets (the Biyombo situation). I’m not sure opting to let him walk for nothing but the flexibility of being ~$10M under the cap this summer is really worth it for us. 

My point is that if we draft Bagley or Porter, one of them can pair with Isaac at the forward spots and we can then look at a sign and trade with Gordon. Try and acquire another pick or talent at another position, for example see what Sacramento are willing to offer because they've got no reason to be bad next year (they owe their 1st to Philly). The issue with drafting a forward and extending Gordon is that none of that trio (Isaac, Gordon, Bagley/Porter) are ideal fits to play center other than short spells in small ball line ups. As such it means playing Isaac or the rookie off the bench. Not a major issue, but if we can fill another need by moving Gordon that might be beneficial. Also if we plan to tank having two rookies and sending away one of our better players could help. However if we plan to compete keeping Gordon is better.

With that said, I do think we'll extend him and draft either a big or a guard.

If we don’t re-sign AG, we better be ready for an excruciating rebuild. Isaac, who I really wanted to draft, is far from being a consistent and reliable producer. And the rest of our roster is filled with average vets and inconsistent youth. I’d expect us to be in the bottom five for an additional 2-3 years, even following this summer’s draft. 

Count me as one who wants to trust that AG is worth the money given his age, hard work and growth. Throw together a core of Isaac, AG and Bridges/Bamba and you have a nice base and identity. Then if you hit on a Brogdon like point guard in the second round you are competing and growing into something cohesive. That’s the route I’d like to go.