Sign in to follow this  
Magicman28

Henny has been fired!

Still can't believe Henny was fired, signaling our five year rebuild failed.

After reading the Sentinel article, I can't believe Henny lasted as long as he did.

In the wake of firing general manager Rob Hennigan, Magic CEO Alex Martinsadmitted that former coach Scott Skiles was right about the failed GM and should have stuck around until the team figured out what to do about it.

Skiles quit after only one season because he did not like the roster Hennigan had put together or the lackadaisical culture Hennigan and assistant GM Scott Perry had cultivated among its core of young players.

“Scott certainly had his concerns; I don’t think that was any secret,” Martins said when I asked if he should have listened to Skiles instead of Hennigan. “He made that very well known. He and I had several conversations about things during his tenure here.”

From talking to people close to the situation and listening to Martin’s public comments, it appears Skiles felt Hennigan and Perry coddled players and undermined the coaching staff’s ability to instill accountability. Skiles is a no-nonsense basketball lifer who didn’t like the work ethic of his young players or the culture created by the inexperienced Hennigan.

“The culture is the atmosphere and the expectations you set up around your basketball team,” Martins explained on our Open Mike radio show Friday. “How are those expectations communicated? How are you holding everybody accountable? What is the true message about the level of commitment we expect? … What do we expect from them [players] day in and day out?

http://www.orlandose...0415-story.html

That OS is very illuminating. While I don't at all hold Martins as blameless, I too had lost confidence that Henny had any idea how to build a winning roster and culture.

That OS is very illuminating. While I don't at all hold Martins as blameless, I too had lost confidence that Henny had any idea how to build a winning roster and culture.

But...but he was a genius.

Can't believe you guys are naive enough to fall for the same "we never liked that guy anyway" rhetoric that comes whenever any player or employee leaves and they need to sway public opinion.

They did the same thing with Stan.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if if he could've done anything different than any other GM could've done but if the article is true than yeah, it was time for Rob to go.

Wonder if Vogel felt the same about the culture?

Can't believe you guys are naive enough to fall for the same "we never liked that guy anyway" rhetoric that comes whenever any player or employee leaves and they need to sway public opinion.

Stan wasn't coddling players. Remember what Moe said about the culture here?

Maybe Rob just wasn't assertive enough?

How are they spinning favorable public opinion by saying they screwed up and backed the wrong guy last year?

How are they spinning favorable public opinion by saying they screwed up and backed the wrong guy last year?

Yeah good organizations admit a mistake and move on. In this case it was just too late.

Remember last year when things went sour and many of you wanted Henny fired before the trade deadline? Turns out you were justified.

People wanted him gone before he can could make another move Like the Tobias deal. Oh if only we knew what was gonna happen.

I will defend him a little by saying all of our players, even the the former players continue to be absolute garbage on team defense.

Almost every player that went through here the last 5 years displayed either poor basketball IQ or bad team chemistry. Especially on defense.

Not sure if this is work ethic or lack of natural skill or both.

It's pretty hard to "fall" for anything, as this team is at rock bottom. Henny is arguably the worst gm the Magic ever have had. As I've said all along, Martins is responsible, too, which I believe he's acknowledging through the article.

It's pretty hard to "fall" for anything, as this team is at rock bottom. Henny is arguably the worst gm the Magic ever have had. As I've said all along, Martins is responsible, too, which I believe he's acknowledging through the article.

Henny also didn't have Shaq, Penny and DHoward fall into his lap though.