Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

Reggie Jackson was 28.8% from 3 midway through his 4th season in OKC, and is 35 percent in DET. Another cautionary tale for Payton. Jackson was a way better FT shooter though.

People who are saying they would do that trade are once again going overboard with their hate towards Evan. He's not a bad player. I don't get it.

"He plays hero ball"

Well maybe that's because he's the best offensive player on the team which is a huge issue. If we had him playing next to at least 2 guys that were better then him and he was the third option it'd be fine. Or even a 6th man. He still has a well rounded offensive game and is just 24. I don't get the rush to get rid of him right now especially considering is the most reliable scorer on a team that struggles to score. Z

I don't like Payton, but the difference between Jackson and Payton is not Fournier. Not close. And Stanley Johnson is nothing right now.

Here's hoping EP really turns the corner this year. The whole outlook on this team would change if he steps his game up.

One more thing, does anyone think that maybe the reason Fournier gets so many assists with Vuch is because Vuch is the most reliable player on that end of the court other than Fournier?

Like when we were starting AG at the 3, Fournier was literally playing between 2 players that can't shoot. That left him with Vuch and Ibaka. I don't know who he's really supposed to pass too.

I thought he played better the last month of the year with Ross, a player that can actually shoot.

• Upvote 1

People who are saying they would do that trade are once again going overboard with their hate towards Evan. He's not a bad player. I don't get it.

"He plays hero ball"

Well maybe that's because he's the best offensive player on the team which is a huge issue. If we had him playing next to at least 2 guys that were better then him and he was the third option it'd be fine. Or even a 6th man. He still has a well rounded offensive game and is just 24. I don't get the rush to get rid of him right now especially considering is the most reliable scorer on a team that struggles to score. Z

I don't like Payton, but the difference between Jackson and Payton is not Fournier. Not close. And Stanley Johnson is nothing right now.

Hero ball is probably wrong. My fault.

Tunnel vision.

He's shown some games of being capable but the eye test and advanced stats say he has a tendency to shoot when he should pass and pass to Vuch when he should pass it to a wide open player not named Vuch.

• Upvote 1

Hero ball is probably wrong. My fault.

Tunnel vision.

He's shown some games of being capable but the eye test and advanced stats say he has a tendency to shoot when he should pass and pass to Vuch when he should pass it to a wide open player not named Vuch.

This most likely gets fixed if we ever have better players on offense to surround him with.

One more thing, does anyone think that maybe the reason Fournier gets so many assists with Vuch is because Vuch is the most reliable player on that end of the court other than Fournier?

Like when we were starting AG at the 3, Fournier was literally playing between 2 players that can't shoot. That left him with Vuch and Ibaka. I don't know who he's really supposed to pass too.

I thought he played better the last month of the year with Ross, a player that can actually shoot.

Not when you pass it to Vuch who's in a less than desirable position to score than the wide open player who can knock it down.

For those who want to give Mario more minutes or even a starting job, please click here: http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/1626209/. Last year he had an OFFRTG of 94.5 and a DEFRTG of 109.9, meaning his NETRTG was -15.1. And believe it or not, when given almost twice the minutes after the all star break, he got significantly worse.

I really want Mario to succeed, but right now he looks like perhaps the worst pick in the history of the organization. He needs to earn his minutes and grow a ton as a player. Honestly, from my vantage point, it wouldn't surprise me if someone like MGH beat him out of a job.

I think some people are overstating the improvements they think certain players will make and using that to base their projections. Maybe I'm just being very pessimistic, but I don't think it's a guarantee that all those guys improve enough that it really translates into a bunch more wins.

Mario might just be that bad. EP might just be an average PG that can't shoot. AG might not burst out like we've been hearing every offseason. Maybe Fournier doesn't go back to his career average from deep. Maybe Issac isn't ready.

There's plenty of reasons why this team could see little to no improvement at all. I think they should be slightly better, but I'm not buying into this being a 40 win team by any stretch of the imagination.

All the above is certainly a possibility. Power rankings (post free agency) just released have us 23rd out of 30 with the possibility we could be a 7 seed in the playoffs. I, personally, have not given up on Mario. 22.5 years old with stats very very similar to JJ Redick his first few years. The light turned on for JJ in year 4 (when he was 26 y/o). I looked at Draft Express video of Mario's strengths and weaknesses. #1-I think he needs to play and get minutes. #2-I think he needs to flip between SG and SF probably more SG if Ross stays at SF. His range 3 years ago was Redick like and he is much more athletic. He needs a chance. AG may not be a superstar ever but the tandem of Isaac and AG sure looks like a potential nightmare matchup for other teams. Looked at Isaac and Duncan's stats out of college (not saying Isaac will be Duncan clone) and you can see some similarity. Been a Magic fan since 1986 and these last few years have been rough. Hope the new management team has a good plan and all the players improve. Having said that I agree with the above assessment and think 23rd out of 30 (or worse if we trade any assets) is most likely to occur. My wish is to somehow get the Net's #1 pick (which the Celtics have) somehow?????

This most likely gets fixed if we ever have better players on offense to surround him with.

Frank fixed it by letting EP dominate the ball and Ross helped with that by being a capable shooter.

Not when you pass it to Vuch who's in a less than desirable position to score than the wide open player who can knock it down.

Whose this wide open player you speak of that's so deadly from outside?

Again, it's just funny how guys like Fournier get nitpicked to absolute death but other players get clear passes.