Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

I would think even the most rabid supporters of AG on here could admit Wiggins is better.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this board is still that infatuated with AG that they've lost complete control of reality.

So Bleacher Report did a list of the top 25 Players under the age of 25 for the 2016-2017 season:

Honorable Mention: Elfrid Payton

#25 -- Aaron Gordon

#23 -- Victor Oladipo

#21 -- Tobias Harris

#10 -- Andrew Wiggins

#1 -- Anthony Davis

#25, #23, #21 were all on our team at one point. Oh what could have been. I think Henny made some massive errors in breaking up that core. Debate between Dipo and Evan all you want, that's still a good nucleus.

So Bleacher Report did a list of the top 25 Players under the age of 25 for the 2016-2017 season:

#25 -- Aaron Gordon

#23 -- Victor Oladipo

#21 -- Tobias Harris

#10 -- Andrew Wiggins

#1 -- Anthony Davis

#25, #23, #21 were all on our team at one point. Oh what could have been. I think Henny made some massive errors in breaking up that core. Debate between Dipo and Evan all you want, that's still a good nucleus.

Oladipo a head of AG is questionable. The returns on Harris and Dipo were astronomically awful.

Weltman has been saying something along the lines of "we're not done, we're going to add shooting to the roster"

ok. how the heck is that going to happen?

we have ostensibly a top 10 established already. a top 9 if they don't believe in Hezonja. a top 8 if they don't believe in Hezonja and Isaac is a development player. so signing a shooter isn't going to help us too much. it just adds a new 9th man.

so trades?

including Fournier or ross in a trade wouldn't add shooting.

cant trade mack or simmons. so no upgrading backup pg or sg shooting.

Gordon? Isaac isn't ready yet to be a full time PF and there aren't any shooting PFs who can also play defense like we want to play defense on the market. You could talk me into a future where we make that determination at the deadline but not this offseason.

Payton? I don't see a great deal out there for a shooting point guard right now. We're clearly building toward 2019 and Jackson hurts that and Phoenix is only shopping Bledsoe for a fortune so I'm not really sure what's out there over the next two months.

Vuch????

#25 -- Aaron Gordon

#23 -- Victor Oladipo

#21 -- Tobias Harris

#10 -- Andrew Wiggins

#1 -- Anthony Davis

We couldn't afford them all. I like our situation now:

Isaac >>>> Harris (long term)

Ross > Dipo (better fit)

Wiggins numbers are gonna take quite a hit this year with Butler, Teague, and Crawford taking shots and KAT as the centerpiece.

Personally, I'm completely ok with the idea that Wiggins is better than Gordon. But the idea that he's arguably the best player under 23 in the league just seems crazy to me. His defense is atrocious and I think one has to take efficiency into account when looking at offense. Sure, his ppg is gaudy. The advanced stats are somewhat less eye-popping.

What evidence do you need?

I'm not going into the reasons why Wiggins is better than AG because it's such an out of control comment to even make.

We can debate AG vs Saric or AG vs another similar skill level player but saying he's better than Gordon is nothing but a blind homer comment.

Wiggins isn't a terrible defender either. Averaged 24 a game at age 22. He's not lebron right now but he's one of the best young players in the league.

So I want to hear you say right now if the Wolves offered us Wiggins for AG right now strait up (in some fantasy land) you would say no. Please go on record saying that.

I would say no.

There you are.

I think Wiggins is very overrated- and the stats back that up. The only thing you can seem to point to is that Wiggins scored 24 points a game. And please prove that Wiggins is not a terrible defender because every single stat backs up that position and everyone is basically in agreement with that point.

At the very least it should be debatable.

Wiggins numbers are gonna take quite a hit this year with Butler, Teague, and Crawford taking shots and KAT as the centerpiece.

or they improve with him not having to face a team's best defender with Jimmy next to him. Teague and Crawford know their place as 4th & 5th options on the totem pole.

I would say no.

There you are.

I think Wiggins is very overrated- and the stats back that up. The only thing you can seem to point to is that Wiggins scored 24 points a game. And please prove that Wiggins is not a terrible defender because every single stat backs up that position and everyone is basically in agreement with that point.

At the very least it should be debatable.

Not sure how debatable it is.

We could create a poll on whether or not you'd trade AG for Wiggins and see where it goes.

Personally, I'm completely ok with the idea that Wiggins is better than Gordon. But the idea that he's arguably the best player under 23 in the league just seems crazy to me. His defense is atrocious and I think one has to take efficiency into account when looking at offense. Sure, his ppg is gaudy. The advanced stats are somewhat less eye-popping.

And this is valid. Wiggins has his flaws. Also, I said arguably the best player under 22.

I just can't imagine someone turning him down for Gordon.

Not sure how debatable it is.

We could create a poll on whether or not you'd trade AG for Wiggins and see where it goes.

A poll is not a debate. In a debate, both sides bring their own arguments to support their view. After the initial arguments, you break down the other sides argument while shoring up your own- giving different ways to perceive the evidence or adding more different evidence that either supports your argument or breaks theirs.

And my point in all of this isn't that Gordon is a great player or anything- he is definitely flawed. I just think he is in the conversation at around the same level as Wiggins is. Perhaps you are overrating Wiggins rather instead of me overrating Gordon.

And I think Wiggins will be paid more because he has the gaudy scoring numbers as you pointed out. I just don't think that makes him a better player.