Soul Bro

2016-2017 Trade Idea Thread

Ross can expect more opportunities in Orlando, despite the team currently ranking last in the Southeast Division. Aaron Gordon should shift from the wing to power forward with Ibaka gone and second-year man Mario Hezonja is not ready to be a starter. Ross certainly has the talent to provide some extra scoring from the wing if given extended minutes. His per 36 minutes scoring average is 16.7 points, a great improvement over what has come to be expected of him, and Ross should also help take some of the pressure off of shooting guard and Magic leading scorer Evan Fournier.

This is exactly why Magic GM Rob Hennigan is the true winner of the trade. He knew Ibaka was of no use to a last place team and instead sent him to a contender willing to pay a high price for his services. In exchange, Orlando now receives a first-round pick on top of the one it already possesses and a player under team control for the next two seasons at a bargain price. Ross's current deal, signed in 2015, is worth $31.5 million over three years and took effect this season. He will earn $10.5 million over the last two years of the contract.

via http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshbenjamin/2017/02/14/terrence-ross-could-benefit-most-from-the-serge-ibaka-trade/#1d03132c659f

I'm generally optimistic but i feel uncomfortable calling us "the true winners of this trade"

We mitigated our losses by obtaining a long term player that fits on a good contract and a first round pick in a good draft. It's not winning, it's just not losing when you could have lost big

NBA twitter talking heads are complete idiots sometimes. Why are Oladipo and Sabonis almost always made out as some huge gets? Sabonis has been trash but gets minutes because OKC has no depth. Ross and Oladipo have almost identical per 36 stats with Ross having slightly better advanced metrics AND he's on a much cheaper deal.

Apparently the asking price for Vucevic is high due to his contract. I bet unless we get blown away by a deal we keep him until the end of the season

I'd agree. Don't see us being able to move DJ with that contract either. Just not seeing where the potiential trades are on the roster after this one.

NBA twitter talking heads are complete idiots sometimes. Why are Oladipo and Sabonis almost always made out as some huge gets? Sabonis has been trash but gets minutes because OKC has no depth. Ross and Oladipo have almost identical per 36 stats with Ross having slightly better advanced metrics AND he's on a much cheaper deal.

Dipo has always been super-over valued by people who cover the overall NBA as opposed to those watching the teams he plays on every night.

Good player, certainly not great. His 3-point shooting is average at best for a shooting guard and his on-court IQ offensively leaves a lot to be desired.

Also, he's playing alongside of one the best point guards of all-time right now and still only putting up 16 a game for a team that's gonna get bounced in the 1st round. I have no doubt we'd still be in lottery land if the Serge for Dipo trade never happened. It was worth the risk.

Does this really need to be explained...

David Aldridge via Twitter:

"Toronto/Ibaka has been in the works 4 weeks, but esp w/Love out 6 weeks, will Cs (bigs) and/or Wiz (bench) also make moves before deadline?"

Why even trade Vuch?? Wouldn't that just put us where we were last year before free agency (Needing front court help)? If he's so valuable, why not keep him. Decent bigs on good contracts don't just come around all the time.

I woke up so happy that we traded Ibaka and recouped some value. Glad Henny admitted his mistake and moved on with the long term in mind.

Why even trade Vuch?? Wouldn't that just put us where we were last year before free agency (Needing front court help)? If he's so valuable, why not keep him. Decent bigs on good contracts don't just come around all the time.

I don't think you have to. I just see Fournier, Ross, Mario, AG, Green, and Meeks when he comes back and with the deadline still over a week away, I just wonder if there's something else that'll happen and Vuch would be the logical choice.

I woke up so happy that we traded Ibaka and recouped some value. Glad Henny admitted his mistake and moved on with the long term in mind.

Yeah. No trading young players in the deal trying to get more. No taking on long unmanageable contracts. Just a two way 4th-6th man in your rotation on a good team player with a small chance of upside and a first rounder in this draft a opposed to some future draft.

Because sometimes shuffling the roster is good and if you get someone equal in value to Vucevic with a skill set that's different it might unlock the potential of your younger players. Or you can trade something that's good now for something that is going to be good 3 years from now which fits more with our time table.

Good luck finding a team that wants 3 more years on the books for DJ.

Rob should holdout for a homerun deal for Vuch. He's our best trade chip. The contract, his skill set for a big--its in high demand even with his poor defense. I would only trade him for legit return, like Brown from Boston type return.

Would really like to see Green traded to free up minutes at the 3 and 4.

I feel like Boston wants someone who will come off the books. Boston could use Vuch for sure but i think they would rather have a temporary fix and try again in the offseason. The other thing is they have to include Amir to make the money work. If they are trying to make a run this year, they would rather trade for a depth piece and keep Amir. I think the Vuch to Boston rumor was a smokescreen to help themselves get a better deal with Ibaka.

A three team deal with Dj or Watson might be the only other deal we make.