Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

Yep, he gets to the line like 1/4 the time the next guy does. Because of this, his efg% is actually one of the highest, but his true shooting percentage is one of the lowest.

Is this per minute or game? Rookies don't get many calls u know.

So, understand this is just frustration and venting. Don’t read this as what anyone sane would think actually happened, just as something funny that popped into my brain after last night’s game:

Rob: Okay guys, thanks for coming in. We had a ten game improvement last year, and I think we can get some big things done this offseason to improve even more.

Skiles: Excellent. Are we going after Conley? Horford? Batum? We can probably get into the playoffs with improvements from the guys we have, but there’re a few good SFs out there that would help out, and I’d like to upgrade the PG.

Rob: Slow down, Scott. I’m thinking we need to go in a different direction. How would you like to coach a team built around an undersized C who rebounds and blocks shots, but is an offensive non-entity; a PF who blocks shots AND shoots threes at a solid percentage; a young SF who is not terrible on offense, but is mostly there to defend; an unorthodox scoring SG, and a –

Skiles: You want to recreate the 2003-04 Detroit Pistons?

Rob: Exactly!

Skiles: I quit.

Rob: Here me out, Scott.

Skiles: Okay…

Rob: First off, we trade Oladipo and our first round pick for Serge Ibaka.

Skiles: Why? Oladipo’s our best overall player. He’s a young two-way guard who can create offense for himself and for others at an above-average level.

Rob: Sure, but who, on the ’04 Pistons team does he remind you of? No one. So we trade him.

Skiles: …Okay, but why throw in our first pick, as well. Ibaka’s been declining steadily for years, and they seem to be moving on from him, anyway; I’m sure Oladipo could get it done himself.

Rob: We can’t *****foot around with this. Ibaka’s a one-of-a-kind player.

Skiles: Well, sure, he is… but so is Rajon Rondo. You wouldn’t trade the farm for him, would you?

Rob: Of course not. But we’ll get to that. Next, we re-sign Fournier. Then we sign our Ben Wallace-type.

Skiles: I think I’ve been here before.

Rob: Bismack Biyombo!

Skiles: Yep. There's the mark I left on that tree.

Rob: You see? Bismack is Ben Wallace! Ibaka is Rasheed Wallace! Aaron Gordon is Tayshaun Prince!

Skiles: You realize that Aaron Gordon is way more talented than Tayshaun Prince, with a completely different skillset. And he’s a PF.

Rob: Aaron is super versatile! He’ll be anything we want him to be!

Skiles: And knowing that, you want him to be Tayshaun Prince?

Rob: Exactly!

Skiles: I quit.

Rob: Fine. I’ll find another old-school coach who will focus on defense.

Skiles, looking back as he is about to shut the door: Just one last thing. How in the hell is Elfrid Payton anything like Chauncey Billups?

Rob: Billups sucked in his first two seasons, obviously.

Skiles: You’re crazy, aren’t you?

Rob, nodding to himself with a little smile: Crazy like a fox…

• Upvote 1

I'm withdrawing my pessimism somewhat until about 10 games in -- if Vogel can tinker with the lineups I think we can possibly win the next 3.

Saw some good things yesterday when Vogel went small.

I agree that Gordon at SF is a disaster. We need to start playing stretch 4. Also Gordon needs a defined role -- his improvisations with his dribble drive, turnovers, and bad shot selection are disgusting.

We need to stop the midrange crap and get Payton to consistently drive and dish for open 3s or set up a pick and roll or just finish at the rim himself.

Is this per minute or game? Rookies don't get many calls u know.

It is the number of free throw attempts per field goal attempt, so it only counts the number of times they do shoot. The higher the free throw rate, the better they are at drawing fouls and going to the line.

I'm withdrawing my pessimism somewhat until about 10 games in -- if Vogel can tinker with the lineups I think we can possibly win the next 3.

Saw some good things yesterday when Vogel went small.

I agree that Gordon at SF is a disaster. We need to start playing stretch 4. Also Gordon needs a defined role -- his improvisations with his dribble drive, turnovers, and bad shot selection are disgusting.

We need to stop the midrange crap and get Payton to consistently drive and dish for open 3s or set up a pick and roll or just finish at the rim himself.

I don't think Gordon at 3 has been a disaster. He looks alright as a 3.

I think Gordon at 3 with this roster is a disaster. It'd be one thing if we had Lillard at point guard, Ryan Anderson at pf and a center operating in the low post but right now we have weird geometry.

I don't think Gordon at 3 has been a disaster. He looks alright as a 3.

I think Gordon at 3 with this roster is a disaster. It'd be one thing if we had Lillard at point guard, Ryan Anderson at pf and a center operating in the low post but right now we have weird geometry.

With our roster we need either a knock down shooter or a creator or both at the 3 spot. And right now Gordon is neither.

With our roster we need either a knock down shooter or a creator or both at the 3 spot. And right now Gordon is neither.

Said it before, he should be molding his game after Blake Griffin.

He's not Paul George. Not even close.