Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

So... am I crazy to think that Vuch is playing close to the best he ever has? Sure his offense has fallen way off, but on defense I rarely see him put a foot wrong these days.

Time to sell high!

Cody Taylor

‏@CodyTaylorNBA

Magic assignee Stephen Zimmerman made his D-League debut last night in Erie and recorded 20 points and 16 rebounds.

That's awesome! Hope he develops within the next couple of years. He's a good kid and works hard.

So... am I crazy to think that Vuch is playing close to the best he ever has? Sure his offense has fallen way off, but on defense I rarely see him put a foot wrong these days.

He is, but I still wouldn't want him as my starting center

He is, but I still wouldn't want him as my starting center

There's nothing wrong with having him as a starting center, as long as you have the right pieces elsewhere. If he continues to play solid team defense like he is currently, then hes not necessarily what would prevent us from contending. He's a nice piece as a 3rd option. We just don't have strong enough scoring options ahead of him at this point.

Bump

I actually bet on the Magic twice this year. Against OKC on the road and the Pelicans at home. I was getting points both times and didn't need them. I almost took the points against the Spurs, but chickened out before tip off. Last night's game should have been a gimme with all of the Grizzlies that were sidelined, but it seems this team plays worse when they should win easily, so I passed. The Magic are a gamblers' nightmare, but so far I'm 2 for 2.

I think Vogel deserves some major credit. He has the team playing amazing defense and has certain players balling (e.g. Ibaka, Vooch, Biz and Fournier). Our roster is seriously flawed, as we don't have a starting PG, but Vogel is making the most of the situation.

Still, there are noticeable miscues when Biyombo switches onto an opponent. NBA.com shows Biyombo isolated defensively for 13.1 percent of all plays while yielding 0.88 points per possession and ranking in the 49th percentile among all players leaguewide.

In comparison, during his season in Toronto, he gave up just 0.75 points per play and ranked in the 69th percentile. Opponents are also shooting 3.6 percent better than average when they face Biyombo, a stark contrast to the previous season when they shot 2.6 percent worse against him. Clearly, the adjustment hasn’t been as smooth as the Magic anticipated.

The optimist can look at Biyombo’s struggles and expect that, given more time and a healthy lineup around him, he’ll eventually find his defensive groove.

Vogel is clearly looking for answers, as well, recently inserting Biyombo into the starting lineup (demoting an unhappy Vucevic in the process), hoping the blend of offense and defense won’t be as disparate if Biyombo shares the floor with guards D.J. Augustin (starting over Elfrid Payton, who is still looking for a consistent shooting rhythm) and Evan Fournier, who leads the team in scoring.

But Biyombo’s offense, while never a strong suit, has been abysmal during his short tenure with Orlando. He’s shooting a career-low 42.3 percent from the field, far lower than the 54.2 percent he shot in Toronto. ESPN rates him dead-last among all NBA centers in terms of Offensive Real-Plus Minus, a dreadful -3.43 (and last in overall RPM, too, at -3.36).

http://www.fanragspo...solution-magic/

Yes but what Payton can't provide is spacing and consistent effort. So it's kind of like all his other positives are negated by this alone.

Exactly....You hit the nail on the head with this one

Watching the game from last night. Meeks changes the dynamic of this team. Plus a good Gordon in SF could make us dangerous in the longrun.

This team has potential ya'll.

Cautiously optimistic.