Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

ON NO ATTEMPTS!

Randle has 237 field goals made this year. 199 of which occurred in the paint. He's 19-38 from 15-19. I'm not impressed with his 2 jumpers he hits every 5 games.

Randolph had a 15 footer the second he entered the league. Shooting is more than just threes.

That's more impressive than the alternative, and just proves the point I was making: he's better at those shots, amongst other things I'll discuss shortly. I never focused on 3's, that's other peoples' game. So, he's a smart enough basketball player to recognize the (lack of utility) in shooting between 10 feet and the 3 point line, but when he does, he shoots well over 40% collectively? That's smart, not a detraction. As he matures, which takes time, it shows he's capable of hitting that shot consistently. Is it that hard to miss? No one was saying he was magical at those shots, it was in comparison to someone who has absolutely no business taking those shots...and was only a small piece of the entirety.

Also, when you compare the two at equal times, yes Randolph shot more frequently in the ~15 foot range you speak of, but not significantly (8% vs 15%)-and with less less efficiency. So either your making stuff up or you are neglecting facts. In the same year, there's less than 1 foot difference between the two and their average shot distance (6.7 feet vs 7.6). Sounds like Randle is just smart, doesn't force shots. Especially when he's doing what he does closely. You can't deny his potential is there. For the other player we were talking about, there's little tangible evidence of offensive/shooting potential.

Since I had them pulled up, I thought I'd share something else interesting-though I don't know it pertains to the current direction of the conversation. AG has gotten blocked fewer times than Randle, that should come as no surprise to some here. However, AG is on pace to match or increase the number of times he's been blocked while Randle is on pace to reduce his number by more than 25%. Couple this with Randle's steady increase in eFG% and # attempts from various spots on the floor (all but 3 land) and AG's going down across the board with # attempts going up it would suggest that Randle is becoming more efficient in crafting his way around of missed opportunities in the past. That is quite like Zach Randolph. Additionally, Randle has more drawn shooting fouls and the same number of and1's as AG. This is significant because this is one of the few quantifiable means to show how athleticism translates to basketball skill. It's not enough to declare someone a winner or otherwise in any case, but it builds upon the case that neither player lacks in athleticism, and that one in particular is improving in these metrics while the other is either steady or declining.

Don't think that has anything to do with AG playing completely out of his element/position for the first time of his life?

randle was blocked 81 times in 81 games last year

Randle was blocked 48 times in 46 games this year.

in what mathematical realm is that a reduction?

Gordon is drawing fewer fouls because he's attacking the rim less and shooting threes more. it's one of the biggest problems we all have with the move to small forward.

Good call, I misread the GP line. So take that out of the equation. The rest of its interesting nonetheless. Agreed with the last statement. It's ruining his efficiency.

Good call, I misread the GP line. So take that out of the equation. The rest of its interesting nonetheless. Agreed with the last statement. It's ruining his efficiency.

yeah. it's one of the biggest problems I've had with this entire Gordon process. Play him at 3, sure. get him some experience on the perimeter. But he should also play 10-15 minutes at PF every game to keep his confidence up when his shot isn't falling and to give him something to do on the offensive end.

I like Isaac and would be happy with him. The coasting through games scares me. against Clemson he almost did nothing.

he gives you everything you want from a player except that "***** you I'm going to dominate" mentality. Its excusable based on the deep team he's playing on with a bunch of juniors (for those who are unfamiliar with FSU basketball this year they play 11 guys 10+mpg and 0 players more than 29 mpg. most other schools play their starters 32-36mpg). But I'd like to see him take over a close game more often (like when he put up 23/10 with 7 blocks against Notre Dame).

I don't watch much college ball but if his mentality is like you describe I want no parts of him. There have been too many cases of players with all the talent in the world with a weak mindset failing expectations.

If I never have to watch a player like Payton again I'd be a happy camper. Lack of killer instinct is my biggest pet peeve!

I don't watch much college ball but if his mentality is like you describe I want no parts of him. There have been too many cases of players with all the talent in the world with a weak mindset failing expectations.

If I never have to watch a player like Payton again I'd be a happy camper. Lack of killer instinct is my biggest pet peeve!

yeah but we're still looking at an incomplete picture and it's a 19 year old getting on to a roster with two other perimeter "leaders" already in place. A lot of his "demeanor" evaluation is going to take place in the acc tournament and march madness.

He's done really really well against the top teams. But that's only a 3 game sample right now (Louisville, North Carolina, Notre Dame)(he was coming back from a hip injury that could excuse a bad game against Virginia).

So we need to see more. because we cant tell if the periodic bad games in blowouts are just a situation of Isaac not having to do much or a symptom of deeper problems. He doesn't have the ball in his hands constantly like these other players and plays something like 11 minutes per game fewer than Fultz.

Plus similar things were said about wiggins, barnes, and Rudy Gay in college.

so I don't know. we need to see more. but this is why I'd be fine with him at 5 or 6 but not at 2.

Newest DX mock has us missing in all 3 PGs, Jackson, and Isaac

So sounds about right for this franchise

True story right now. Me clicking on draftexpress:

"as long as it's not Tatum"

"*****"

This is ultimately my problem with draft express (maybe scouts in general) the last few years. I feel like they overrate "nba bodies" and underrate translatable games.

"Kris Dunn is going to be a star." No, Kris Dunn is big, got most of his baskets going at the rim, shot 47% on 2s and had a really high turnover rate. that doesn't translate easy.

"Mudiay is going to be a star". No, Mudiay is big, struggled with efficiency going at subpar competition, cant shoot, and has a high turnover rate. whats going to happen when he faces talent?

they had Jaylen brown at number 1 in that draft for a while.

same deal with Tatum. Tatum is fine. if I had to bet on one player to be in the nba 10 years from now it'd be tatum. But if I had to pick one player in the top 8 that had the lowest chance of being an all star it'd be tatum. He's not a great defender (he's ok). He's not a great shooter. he averages significantly more turnovers than assists. He's a solid scorer with a good use of pump fakes, floaters, etc. he actually reminds me of Tobias Harris a bit except Harris was big enough to slide to 4 and I don't know if Tatum can do that.