Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

Weltman: "Shooting is always at a premium. For as long as I've been around basketball, the first skill you always ask about is can a guy shoot? The league is changing in front of our eyes. It's becoming a league of stretch bigs and 3&D guys. That is a paramount skill as we evaluate players."

every nba pod I've listened to lately has said the equivalent of "Dennis Smith scares teams but he definitely could be the best player in this draft".

we're going to screw this up. I'm not going to make it to Thursday. gonna kill me.

every nba pod I've listened to lately has said the equivalent of "Dennis Smith scares teams but he definitely could be the best player in this draft".

we're going to screw this up. I'm not going to make it to Thursday. gonna kill me.

We are most definitely going to screw this up.

Seems like that's what gonna happen.

the only thing I got from that is I doubt they value smith. wanting "Guys who will play for their teammates".

Very upsetting if that's true. I just don't see us getting anyone at 6 with the upside of Smith. Also, it's a stupid thing to want in a player. We had guys who played for each other, for the most part. The wheels fell off over the last season and a half, but two years ago we had a pretty tight knit group. A tight knit group who all seemed to like each other, and they sucked horrendously because they "played for each other" rather than winning. I don't want a guy who plays for his teammates. I want a guy who plays to win, who elevates his teammates. I want a guy who is willing to call out his teammates when their effort is low, whose own effort and production is beyond reproach. Sure, maybe Smith is Boogie Cousins; but maybe he's Kobe. It's hard to tell if a guy can elevate his teammates in one year with a terrible coaching situation. What we know about Smith is that he's high-level talented with star potential and he hates to lose. That is exactly what this team needs to take a chance on. If we end up taking Jonathan Isaac over Dennis Smith, he damn well better pan out, or Smith better be a bust somewhere else. The same should go for anyone else we may take over Smith.

Very upsetting if that's true. I just don't see us getting anyone at 6 with the upside of Smith. Also, it's a stupid thing to want in a player. We had guys who played for each other, for the most part. The wheels fell off over the last season and a half, but two years ago we had a pretty tight knit group. A tight knit group who all seemed to like each other, and they sucked horrendously because they "played for each other" rather than winning. I don't want a guy who plays for his teammates. I want a guy who plays to win, who elevates his teammates. I want a guy who is willing to call out his teammates when their effort is low, whose own effort and production is beyond reproach. Sure, maybe Smith is Boogie Cousins; but maybe he's Kobe. It's hard to tell if a guy can elevate his teammates in one year with a terrible coaching situation. What we know about Smith is that he's high-level talented with star potential and he hates to lose. That is exactly what this team needs to take a chance on. If we end up taking Jonathan Isaac over Dennis Smith, he damn well better pan out, or Smith better be a bust somewhere else. The same should go for anyone else we may take over Smith.

See when I see that comment, I think Jackson because he defends and is a pretty decent passer.

Play for your teammates doesn't mean you sit there and wait for the ball to come to you.

Maybe we move up. Maybe Jackson slides down.

Weltman: "Shooting is always at a premium. For as long as I've been around basketball, the first skill you always ask about is can a guy shoot? The league is changing in front of our eyes. It's becoming a league of stretch bigs and 3&D guys. That is a paramount skill as we evaluate players."

Yay, somebody that gets it! It's the freakin' NBA, supposedly the best players in the world, so why would ANY team want somebody that can't shoot? We need to dump all our guys that can't shoot and replace them with guys that can. No more project players please!