Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

I like this mock and I'm starting to want Monk as our pick more than Smith.

Definitely warming up to drafting Monk. Payton would have to become that elite defender for it to work. Evan would head the second unit.

Here’s what Orlando’s draft night war-room wish list should look like, based on the prospects’ level of talent and the team’s most pressing needs:

1. Jayson Tatum, Duke F: He tops the list of potentially available draftees thanks to his all-around scoring repertoire. He can create buckets in a way no one else on Orlando’s roster can.

2. De’Aaron Fox, Kentucky PG: His shooting volatility is a concern, but he might be a long-term upgrade over Elfrid Payton. His slashing, playmaking and perimeter defense are tantalizing.

3. Dennis Smith Jr., N.C. State PG: Although he doesn’t have the defensive length or tenacity of Fox, his passing and shooting are better. He’s also potent off the bounce.

4. Malik Monk, Kentucky SG: This is a superb consolation prize if the four above are unavailable. His shooting would help spread the floor for Payton, Gordon, Nikola Vucevic, and Evan Fournier.

5. Tie–Jonathan Isaac and Lauri Markkanen: If Orlando wants to address shooting, Markkenen’s the man. If the Magic want to upgrade the defense and take a risk on offense, then it’s Isaac.

After pursuing a potential game-changer at No. 6, the Magic will try to pad their depth chart at Nos. 25, 33 and 35. Several intriguing role players and potential steals can be found in the 25-35 range.

Michigan’s D.J. Wilson is a high-upside pick with noticeable skill versatility. He uses a long, athletic frame to attack the rim on face-up drives, shoot from the perimeter, and contest shots around the hoop. He’d give the Magic more footspeed and depth in the frontcourt, and could potentially be their best power forward in a few years.

Other big-man options include Syracuse stretch-4 Tyler Lydon, Kentucky’s explosive behemoth Bam Adebayo, and Germany’s 7-footer Isaiah Hartenstein.

With either the 33rd or 35th pick, Orlando should keep its eyes peeled for playmakers and shooters. Whether Hammond commits to Elfrid Payton in the long run or not, the Magic could use a long-term backup point guard. Current backup D.J. Augustin is signed through 2019, but he has likely hit his ceiling and is shaky on defense. Two possible draft targets are Duke freshman Frank Jackson and Oklahoma State sophomore Jawun Evans.

https://www.fanragsp...-magic-preview/

this is interesting

Adam Zagoria‏Verified account

@AdamZagoria

Adam Zagoria Retweeted Adam Zagoria

Dennis Smith Jr will meet with the Orlando GM today, per source. Won't workout again.

I guess that first workout went pretty well then if he was worth bringing in a second time.

this is interesting

I guess that first workout went pretty well then if he was worth bringing in a second time.

I think at least partly it's because we hadn't hired Weltman or Hammond when Smith was here last. But still it is interesting

I think at least partly it's because we hadn't hired Weltman or Hammond when Smith was here last. But still it is interesting

right.

I mean this doesn't definitively mean anything. But if Lloyd said "ehhhh he really didn't show much in our workouts" I doubt they'd have him back. or they'd make him work out again at minimum. This is a "get a good feel for the player" type deal. see if you feel comfortable hitching your reputation to him.

right.

I mean this doesn't definitively mean anything. But if Lloyd said "ehhhh he really didn't show much in our workouts" I doubt they'd have him back. or they'd make him work out again at minimum. This is a "get a good feel for the player" type deal. see if you feel comfortable hitching your reputation to him.

this is interesting

Yup. Sounds like they want to dig deeper into the person and character.

Doesn't mean we'll draft him but it's obvious he's high on our list and that his workout was good.