Sign in to follow this  
barnettej

2017 Playoffs or Henny is Fired

I don't buy the "Rob has been unlucky" thing when a year ago Karl Towns, D'Angelo Russell, and Porzingis, who each showed franchise centerpiece ability last season, were available.

How were they available to us?

I straight up said in my post that if the team makes the playoffs, then I'm fine with him. I don't need to make you any promises, I've already said multiple times that it all hinges on this season. This is literally the definition of a make or break season, my point is if it turns out to be a break season then it's time to get a new voice in charge. I'm not making excuses anymore, produce results or look for a new job. That's how it is in every other job in the world, not sure why it's different here. If you fail to meet expectations over a long period at your job, do you think your boss will take the bad luck excuse?

Then why not just say that and quit proclaiming failure if the judgment is to be made based off the results of this season? The FA period hasn't even begun yet!

They were in the draft. We weren't good enough at being bad to get them

so the random ping pong balls didn't bounce our way.

isn't that luck?

or an absence of luck?

therefore, unlucky?

They were in the draft. We weren't good enough at being bad to get them

Your still relying on the luck with the ping pongs. Case in point, when we drafted AG, we were one of the worse teams in the league (I believe thee worse) but Cleveland got lucky and jumped to the number 1 spot and we didn't. They drafted Wiggins. LUCK.

Btw, how do you know Mario doesn't turn out to be the better pro?

Then why not just say that and quit proclaiming failure if the judgment is to be made based off the results of this season? The FA period hasn't even begun yet!

Because Rob's tanking plan WAS a failure. This is his 2nd chance.

Because Rob's tanking plan WAS a failure. This is his 2nd chance.

I just don't understand you. You have three guys, two drafted in the top 5 that are no where near in the time frame to be considered anything but potential yet your just putting your failure stamp on them.

How has Rob shown he is an above average GM? He's drafted zero All Stars, his FA moves have been questionable. Now people are questioning his last two trades (I disagree with the notion for the most part, but there is heat on him). He's overseen ZERO winning seasons. Yes, he inherited a bad situation but all he did was tear down the whole team and start over. He hasn't built anything, just collected a bunch of random spare parts that don't fit together. Now after four years we are in a terrible spot of deciding if these young guys he drafted are worth big contracts and glutting up the salary cap. Ultimately, Rob doesn't get a pass because of "poor luck" getting a star. This is his FIFTH season on the job. At some point, you need results. If you're fine with sitting on your hands and praying a star falls into our laps then fine, but most of us are sick of losing basketball and being okay with it because of luck. Sometimes, you need to make your own luck.

I think your series of posts are very well stated, and a refreshing dose of reality in this forum. I've been saying for years that Rob has been getting way too much credit here, since anyone can create a terrible team, but the real test is whether it can be changed into a good team. That remains to be seen, but this "rebuild" is starting to get a little long in the tooth. Add in the risk of developing a losing culture, which Payton4thewin doesn't believe in, but Skiles certainly does, and we've got a risky situation where this team could be bad for years to come. In response to making these points, I've taken a lot of abuse in these forums, but nothing in the past few years has changed my opinion. The burden of proof is squarely on Hennigan.

I think your series of posts are very well stated, and a refreshing dose of reality in this forum. I've been saying for years that Rob has been getting way too much credit here, since anyone can create a terrible team, but the real test is whether it can be changed into a good team. That remains to be seen, but this "rebuild" is starting to get a little long in the tooth. Add in the risk of developing a losing culture, which Payton4thewin doesn't believe in, but Skiles certainly does, and we've got a risky situation where this team could be bad for years to come. In response to making these points, I've taken a lot of abuse in these forums, but nothing in the past few years has changed my opinion. The burden of proof is squarely on Hennigan.

The problem with people in your line of thinking is you have no understanding of context. No realization of processes. It's pretty damn ignorant.