Sign in to follow this  
masazasm2

Skiles resigns

D'antoni would be an interesting coach considering what our team looked like the last 20 games or so.

Ive always thought he was a better coach than he gets credit for. I dont know for sure(think ive read on it before) but he usually surrounds himself around good assistants as well.

D'antoni would be an interesting coach considering what our team looked like the last 20 games or so.

I entertained it for a few...Then I came to my senses.

I wouldn't mind D'Antoni, especially since it seems utilizing Payton is a sticking point for Hennigan. Payton could thrive in that kind of fast-paced offense, and D'Antoni wouldn't care if he was out of position on defense.

Dantoni would be interesting as an assistant because of his offensive expertise, but he had shown his system can't win in the playoffs, even with two generational players

I thought we got past this when similar teams have won the last two championships

I thought we got past this when similar teams have won the last two championships

The key difference: instead of the discussion being "You can't win in the playoffs shooting threes," it would be "you can't win in the playoffs playing no defense"

Pretty great insight into Coach Griff and what type of coach he'll be. Interesting read if you have the moment. Found it on Reddit on the Magic board there.

Q&A WITH ORLANDO MAGIC LEAD ASSISTANT, ADRIAN GRIFFIN

Courtex Performance LLC:

“The NBA playoffs just got under way. As a long-time assistant coach and former player who competed in the 2006 NBA Finals, what do you think distinguishes top teams from the rest?”

Adrian Griffin:

“The top teams build winning habits from day one putting an emphasis on team development and individual progress alike. They understand it’s not just about wins and losses but building a culture of consistency. The lower tier teams often adopt a false illusion that you can turn “it” on or off with just a flip of a switch without putting in the required work to win consistently in this league. The success or lack of it in the postseason is in direct correlation to the effort and commitment to excellence that teams make in training camp and throughout the regular season. he year we went to the NBA Finals every player was committed to the vision of winning a championship. We fell in love with the process. When you looked to your left and you looked to your right you were fully confident that the guy next to you was giving it all he had, that is where the trust is created.”

Courtex Performance LLC:

“What makes you believe you’re ready to move from your Lead Assistant Coach role with the Orlando Magic into a Head Coach job with an NBA team?”

Adrian Griffin:

“As a former player in the NBA, I can empathize with players, assisting them in navigating through the grinds of an 82-game season. As a coach, I’ve studied the importance of practice and holding players accountable while working with two of the most respected coaches in our league, Tom Thibodeau and Scott Skiles. However, what I’ve discovered in my 17 years of NBA experience is that it’s not just about X’s and O’s. Although technical and tactical training is important, what’s equally important is effectively managing relationships. For instance, I have observed that players become more invested in the team when they are encouraged to have an open and constructive dialogue with their coach. Holding weekly 1-on-1 conversations with players away from the court is an effective way to foster a greater sense of belonging. This time is extremely important to developing a sustainable, winning team culture. I want to inspire, not just motivate. The only way to do that is to touch the heart of the people around you!”

Courtex Performance LLC:

“When you get the opportunity to lead a team, what will you build your culture on?

Adrian Griffin:

“My coaching philosophy is rooted in building a culture that creates a safe environment for the players to step out of their comfort zone. In order to grow, one must be comfortable in making mistakes. Often coaches only look at stats but fail to take into account effort and progress. If you are building the right habits daily, the wins will take care of themselves. Players need to know that you are “for them” and that you have their best interest in mind. When they feel valued as people, and not just as players, they become more engaged and committed to the process. In addition, once I become an NBA Head Coach, I will construct a staff that puts a strong emphasis on building effective relationships with the players and is strong in what I like to refer to as the 3 C’s: Competence, Communication, Caring.”

Courtex Performance LLC:

“Player development has become a hot topic in the NBA in recent years. How will you go about developing players in your role as an NBA Head Coach?”

Adrian Griffin:

“Player development is not just about developing a player’s physical and technical skills but it entails developing a player’s emotional intelligence. I prefer taking more of a holistic approach when it comes to player development. It is often said that the game is 90 percent mental and 10 percent physical. If that statement deems to be true, how much attention should organizations commit to developing a player’s mental skills? Teaching players mental skills, such as visualization and positive self talk, are just as important as teaching players how to shoot a jump shot. So in principle, we will practice from the neck down, maximizing players’ skills and physical development, AND we will practice from the neck up, specifically teaching mental preparation, focus, attention, communication, leadership…the list goes on.”

Courtex Performance LLC:

“What do you think is the greatest challenge NBA organizations face in this day and age, and how will you address it in a leadership position?”

Adrian Griffin:

“One of the greatest challenges that NBA organizations face in today’s game is that the league is becoming much younger. I grew up in an age where coaches ruled with an iron fist and were seldom questioned or challenged. Even though this “Old School” style was effective some 20 years ago it may not be the most effective way of reaching the new “Millennial.” In this new millennium, players need to feel appreciated and typically respond best to positive reinforcement. Positive reinforcement can be a strong motivational tool. When coaches empower, praise, and connect with players on a daily basis, a strong bond is built. And when players feel valued they will run through the wall for their coach. That’s the approach I will take when I become a Head Coach in our league.”

http://www.courtexperform.com/coaches/interview-with-adrian-griffin/

The key difference: instead of the discussion being "You can't win in the playoffs shooting threes," it would be "you can't win in the playoffs playing no defense"

Wait, you're right. I totally forgot jalen rose's d'antoni rant.

My wants for the position are

Vogel or Griffin.

I don't want Hornacek, or any of those other guys. We can't take a risk here. If we take a risk, the coach stays with us for two years before managment decides it's not working out.. it's 2 years along in the players careers and we are looking at a few of our players coming into their prime. Not to mention, guys like EP, Gordon, Mario who still need to develop. One more coaching change, at their age (2 years from now) could have a massive impact on their development.

My wants for the position are

Vogel or Griffin.

I don't want Hornacek, or any of those other guys. We can't take a risk here. If we take a risk, the coach stays with us for two years before managment decides it's not working out.. it's 2 years along in the players careers and we are looking at a few of our players coming into their prime. Not to mention, guys like EP, Gordon, Mario who still need to develop. One more coaching change, at their age (2 years from now) could have a massive impact on their development.

You say you don't want to take a risk but would advocate hiring someone who has never been a head coach anymore?