Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Frank Vogel interview with Josh Robbins.

OS: Is it correct that you envision using Aaron Gordon similarly to how you employed Paul George in terms of putting the ball in his hands?

FV: Yeah. Let's see what he can do. I think he's more of a 4 than Paul was. Paul is more of a 2/3. Aaron's more of a 3/4. But I've seen a lot on tape that I think that he can do a lot of similar things. And, more importantly, by playing him at small forward we're going to be really long defensively, which has always been sort of a trademark of those defensive teams in Indy, which is just to have length and athleticism on the perimeter and really at all positions. The difference between those teams and this team is the athleticism of our bigs: Bismack and Serge and their ability to switch and guard. It's what we didn't have in Indy. I think we can be in some ways better. But we're going to have to see how good we are defensively with our perimeter guys.

OS: Do you have to rebuild Elfrid's confidence? Last season probably didn't go how he wanted it to go. From what I hear, he's not a person who lacks confidence.

FV: He's a smart guy, a confident guy. He strikes me as a guy who's going to have a heck of a year. Obviously, you've got to reach a point in your career where you're stepping up and you're going to get the job done at a high level. It's tough for guys in their first and second years to do that when they're not surrounded by an already winning culture and veterans. So he had some growing pains, like this whole team did. But I think he's poised to have a great year.

http://www.orlandose...0922-story.html

Writers...Pfffhhh...They really need to write less in the off season or at least space this crap out. They'll be less repetitive and more knowledgable.

<Goes back inside cave while mumbling explicit adjectives at so called "writers">

I didn't see much wrong, I kinda agree we should tank but ofc we won't.

Then again, I see Augustin, Green, and Biyombo as very tank-capable.

That's just market dynamics. Think about how many people live within an hour of Madison square garden vs the amount of people who live within an hour of Amway. Easier to find 20k people to go to a basketball game there.

Brooklyn Nets pre-season tickets are under $10. It's not just the market dynamics, although it's certainly a factor (everything is more expensive here in NY). But Knicks fans are legitimately excited to see their new team whereas Brooklyn will have to give away tickets this season.

I didn't see much wrong, I kinda agree we should tank but ofc we won't.

Then again, I see Augustin, Green, and Biyombo as very tank-capable.

No. Not at all. You don't tank for a mid lotto pick. You tank for a top two pick. Even if we lost Vucevic, Ibaka, Augustin and Fournier for the season the remaining guys would be hard pressed to lose more than Philly, Brooklyn, and maybe the Lakers.

Payton Hezonja green gordon Biyombo Watson Meeks Zimmerman filler is still like a 25 win team.

No. Not at all. You don't tank for a mid lotto pick. You tank for a top two pick. Even if we lost Vucevic, Ibaka, Augustin and Fournier for the season the remaining guys would be hard pressed to lose more than Philly, Brooklyn, and maybe the Lakers.

Payton Hezonja green gordon Biyombo Watson Meeks Zimmerman filler is still like a 25 win team.

Yeah, we are at that position where if we need to improve, we'll have to either hope some players increase their trade value enough so we can trade them for better talent if one becomes available or be good enough that a free agent wants to sign. I actually believe the former will be what happens if improvements are needed.

Yeah, we are at that position where if we need to improve, we'll have to either hope some players increase their trade value enough so we can trade them for better talent if one becomes available or be good enough that a free agent wants to sign. I actually believe the former will be what happens if improvements are needed.

I think its really easy to be a 25 win team and really easy to improve from a 25 win team to a 40ish win team over a couple years.

I think its very very difficult to improve from a 40 win team to a 50 win team.